PDA

View Full Version : trying to power up my new PCIE 6800ULTRA, QUICK QUESTION!

newls1
02-28-05, 03:38 PM
I have to use an adapter to power my new PCIE 6800ULTRA, my question is: The adapter has 1 plug that goes to the card (kinda square in shape) and the other side has 2 molex conectors on it, do I plug 2 power cables to it from the power supply, or just 1?

nrs421
02-28-05, 04:08 PM
if it's an ultra, ur card requires two connectors.....

newls1
02-28-05, 04:15 PM
Thanks....

Clay
02-28-05, 04:20 PM
I have to use an adapter to power my new PCIE 6800ULTRA, my question is: The adapter has 1 plug that goes to the card (kinda square in shape) and the other side has 2 molex conectors on it, do I plug 2 power cables to it from the power supply, or just 1?This might help too.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=362078&postcount=11

Kojiro
02-28-05, 07:51 PM
If you still reading this thread, you should also know the two power dongles have to be direct feeds from the power supply. Nvidia recomends not using split power cables or Y-spliters for the Geforce 6800 Ultra.

FYI= that square connector is an Nvidia proprietary power dongle, some power suppies support it, but most don't. The adapter you got is a combiner, which combines all the pins into one plug. If you use a y-spliter or a branching power dongles (you can use them if you do not use the other dongles branching out from it), since it would be like using only half the amount of power the Ultra requires.

Doing so will probably 1.) Ultra don't work, 2.) Poor performance, 3.) shorten the life of your power supply which must apply all that power through one rail instead of two.