PDA

View Full Version : Performance Bombed!

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
02-28-05, 08:50 PM
I previously had a 3200 Clawhammer with a very poor Motherboard, so I switched to a 3000 Winchester which I OCd to 2Gz running low latencies on my RAM. My previous setup ran fast but had horrible stability issues and if ran at 8xAGP it would artifact. New system is rock stable but for some reason my performance is crap.

The main difference between my new and old setups is the 1MB Cache on the Old and the different chipsets, prior I was running VIA K8T800 and now Im running an Nforce3.

My 3DMark03 score has dropped 3K while my 3DMark05 has dropped 1.5K, this isn't all. My VST score is now around 10-15FPS lower aswell. I can't visibly see the difference yet but it is lower on paper.

I also see to suffer a sudden pause PRIOR to a 3D App launching, I don't get any ingame stuttering but before a game opens or loads the screen will pause for acouple seconds then go on smoothly. It would seem to happen when switching between 2D and 3D, It happens alot in 3DMark, before every Test (would pause for acouple seconds then continue to load) but during the test its smooth...

Im currently running the 71.84 drivers.

JRd1st
02-28-05, 09:09 PM
Look in the nVCpl Debug Settings page, you may need to use nVTweak to enable seeing that page.

Do you see errors? These errors result from your card throttling.

If so, then those may be your pauses. These errors usually happen when your gfx card is OC'd too much.

I used to get these, things seemed fast most of the time, but those "pauses" really effect the benches in a big way.

|MaguS|
02-28-05, 09:14 PM
Nope, No Errors. My Cards clock never changed, the only thing that changed between the two setups was the Motherboard, CPU and Drivers. Im gonna roll back on display drivers and try another nforce driver (using MSI provided drivers, gonna try official).

Tr1cK
02-28-05, 09:20 PM
Mine did that pausing business when I had Fast Writes on. You do get a drop in performance with it off too. :(

|MaguS|
02-28-05, 09:23 PM
Yup, That did it. Dam Nvidia! Turned Fastwrites off and I can jump into a 3D App without pause... man now I know why Nvidia and SOE teamed up, they both love to break things...

JoKeRr
02-28-05, 09:26 PM
:p make sure u have the latest Nforce driver, also is command rate 1T? I heard that makes a big difference. btw, ur 3000+ should do at least 2.2ghz I hope, what r u saving it for??

|MaguS|
02-28-05, 09:32 PM
Im still on stock cooling so im taking small steps. My Latency is set at 2,2,2,11 @ 1T currently. FSB at 230mhz :)

Ronin
02-28-05, 11:12 PM
Yup, That did it. Dam Nvidia! Turned Fastwrites off and I can jump into a 3D App without pause... man now I know why Nvidia and SOE teamed up, they both love to break things...

What does that have to do with your problem?

hectorsm
03-01-05, 11:37 PM
I was having the same 3D game pause problem when I setup my new system 3 days ago. Turning off fast writes did the trick.

I don't think it is the NVidia video drivers since it worked fine on my NForce2 motherboard. The problem might be in the NForce3 drivers. I am using version 5.03 so I will try to install version 5.10 to see what happens.

MUYA
03-01-05, 11:39 PM
I must be the only one with fast writes enabled and not have any problems. hmm

hectorsm
03-01-05, 11:57 PM
There are other people using fast writes with no problem also. Your not the the exception.

I just installed the Nforce 5.10 drivers and set my have my memory set to 2-3-3-6 T1 and still no luck.

Now I don't have any idea what the problem is. Maybe Bios...who knows :confused:

MUYA
03-02-05, 12:04 AM
K thanks.For a minute I was feeling all special. :rolleyes:

:angel:

zoomy942
03-02-05, 12:08 AM
fast writes never did impress me. back in the old days it helped performance, but pc's now are so fast that we dont really need it

Tr1cK
03-02-05, 08:19 AM
The ony time fast writes look to be a problem is with NF3 boards and overclocked 6800s.

TheTaz
03-02-05, 08:14 PM
I must be the only one with fast writes enabled and not have any problems. hmm

I don't have any issues with fast writes on either.

/shrug

ChrisRay
03-02-05, 08:16 PM
K thanks.For a minute I was feeling all special. :rolleyes:

:angel:

If its any consolation Muya. I think your special. I never experienced a Fast Write issue. I never owned an Nforce 3 board though. My Nforce 2 and Nforce 4 work fine though. Then again my Nforce 4 isnt even AGP ;p

OWA
03-02-05, 08:20 PM
The ony time fast writes look to be a problem is with NF3 boards and overclocked 6800s.
I have an nforce3 board with fast writes on and my ultra is overclocked. I had to have it off with my nforce2 board though.

Edit: This ended up being incorrect. Once I tried NBA Live 2005 I had pauses and some stuttering. I cured it by turning off FW.

Tr1cK
03-02-05, 08:32 PM
Damn dude, your system is way close to mine. I wonder what could be the issue then? What mobo bios are you using? Maybe its just a GT issue.

zoomy942
03-02-05, 08:39 PM
i am gonna turn fast writes off tonight and see how things go. my card bios is flashed from 350/1000 to 405/1100. most games run fine, but painkiller seems to act a little weird. we'll see. i dont think i am gonna see any performance difference.

Mudcrutch
03-02-05, 09:27 PM
hey guys... MSI 6600GT here on an nForce2 mobo... having studdering in CS:S (so far) i am doing a bunch of tests with write combing, etc. and will let you know any progress... so far turning OFF write combing in display properties has helped.

my CS:S stress tests have been in the 74fps range with settings on HIGH but with no AA... so this studdering should be able to be fixed..

OWA
03-02-05, 10:12 PM
Damn dude, your system is way close to mine. I wonder what could be the issue then? What mobo bios are you using? Maybe its just a GT issue.
1.5B1? I bought the mobo from saturnataku not too long ago. He had fast writes off and I kept it that way at first but finally gave it a shot. It has been on about a week and so far so good. I didn't really notice a difference in performance in the stuff I benchmarked (basically just 3DMark05 and D3) but I just feel better having it on...the psychological affect I guess. :)

I will note that I also have a 6800GT and was using it in my nforce2 (ASUS A7N8X) board for a while and it was fine with fast writes on. When I got the Ultra, I had to turn fast writes off and believe me, I tried everything in the world to get it working with them on since I had never had to turn it off before. With the nforce 3 board, the Ultra seems to be working fine with fast writes on though. I almost always configure things the same, go through the same steps, etc. so I think it's just luck as to whether it works or not.

Edit: Yeah, our systems are really close. I may actually be using the same HSF also. I'll have to check the model to be sure. I saved your sig info a while back since matching your settings were my goal. I haven't been able to get 250x10 without increasing my fans speeds and stuff by quite a bit. I keep everything about as low as it'll go so my system runs a little warmer than most but it's fairly quiet.

Tr1cK
03-02-05, 10:49 PM
Hmm.

When I had this card on my NF2 board it would run with FW on. Ever since Ive gotten this board Ive had to have them off. Ive tested all kinds of different BIOS options with no success. I think my bios is the 1.41 mod. I test by just trying to run 3dMark01, it pauses for a few seconds after the load of each level if I have FW on. Runs fast except for the pausing.

On mobo note: I have the adjustable fan on mine, it runs about 4600 RPM without being too loud for me. Temps with MBM5 run around 40 to 45ish at idle and about 55 loaded. Pretty stable for the most part, I think anything that crashes is just due to bugs pretty much since it rarely ever does it.

Just to help a lil:
Disable agressive timing.
Set HTT to max of 4x.
My voltage is set to startup then +10% (reports 1.55)
Memory is at 2.80.
I think those were the main points to my success.

MUYA
03-02-05, 10:55 PM
If its any consolation Muya. I think your special. I never experienced a Fast Write issue. I never owned an Nforce 3 board though. My Nforce 2 and Nforce 4 work fine though. Then again my Nforce 4 isnt even AGP ;p
aaaw shucks... :D

OWA
03-02-05, 11:05 PM
Hmm.

When I had this card on my NF2 board it would run with FW on. Ever since Ive gotten this board Ive had to have them off. Ive tested all kinds of different BIOS options with no success. I think my bios is the 1.41 mod. I test by just trying to run 3dMark01, it pauses for a few seconds after the load of each level if I have FW on. Runs fast except for the pausing.

On mobo note: I have the adjustable fan on mine, it runs about 4600 cfm without being too loud for me. Temps with MBM5 run around 40 to 45ish at idle and about 55 loaded. Pretty stable for the most part, I think anything that crashes is just due to bugs pretty much since it rarely ever does it.

Just to help a lil:
Disable agressive timing.
Set HTT to max of 4x.
My voltage is set to startup then +10% (reports 1.55)
Memory is at 2.80.
I think those were the main points to my success.
Thanks for the tips.

I haven't tried 3DMark01 with FW's on yet. I'll give that a shot soon.

Edit: Okay, I just ran it and it seems fine as well. Heh, I hadn't run 3DMark2001SE in a while. It was pretty funny seeing the extremely high framerates. :)

Edit 2: Most things seemed to work but NBA Live 2005 didn't so I did end up having to turn FW off.

Mudcrutch
03-02-05, 11:39 PM
ok got things running buttery..

on nforce2 w/ MSI 6600gt. athlon 2700+. 1gb ddr400 ram.

in BIOS
--------
fastwrites ON
agp aperture size: 128 MB

write combing (in display props) ON
lastest nForce mobo drivers from nvidia along with latest beta display drivers (on nzone)

cs:s stress test 81.00 fps ALL settings HIGHEST no AA/AF 1024x768

depending on cpu you can probably have some AA on. i think my 2700 is bottlenecking although 2xAA is very playable.

hope this helps someone.. :)