PDA

View Full Version : Visual Studio .NET rig

keith33
02-28-05, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

At my company they're getting some new crazy programmers and require them to run Visual Studio .NET at full capacity; hence we need to buy some new computers.

Should I go with a 90nm AMD 64 or a 600 series P4 Prescott (these won't be used for gaming)? And also, should I get a lower clocked CPU and 2 gigs of ram or a higher CPU and a gig of ram. The company wants to spend around $900 per computer.

Help would be appreciated. Thank You.

-=DVS=-
02-28-05, 09:38 PM
Well for work id get Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of ram, Multitasking with lots of ram should be easy. Plus you should be able to OC those P4s

Absolution
02-28-05, 09:40 PM
no suggestion, but from what ive seen, amd64 compile faster then p4's if that matters to you (that was under vc++ 6.0 though)

Clay
02-28-05, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

At my company they're getting some new crazy programmers and require them to run Visual Studio .NET at full capacity; hence we need to buy some new computers.

Should I go with a 90nm AMD 64 or a 600 series P4 Prescott (these won't be used for gaming)? And also, should I get a lower clocked CPU and 2 gigs of ram or a higher CPU and a gig of ram. The company wants to spend around $900 per computer.

Help would be appreciated. Thank You.
I'm not sure what you mean by "run Visual Studio.NET at full capacity" but IMO you'll want more memory if a lot of multitasking will be going on. If they'll primarily be working just withing VS.NET then I'd say go with 1GB of memory and a faster proc. At work we still go with Intel over AMD just because the price difference is usually not that much to worry over with our budgets and the older guys still view AMDs as more of a hobbyist proc. I've tried to tell them otherwise but they're pretty stubborn about it.

FWIW, I spend a considerable part of most days in VS.NET (C# w/ASP.NET, SQL Server, Visual FoxPro, FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrator, JASC PSP, etc) Many of these are open simultaneoulsy with Trillian, Outook 2003, UltraEdit, AFR, RemoteAdmin to other servers and some other apps always running as well. This is all on a Sony VAIO PCG-GRT270 with a 7200RPM 60GB HD, Pentium 4 2.4GHz and 1GB or memory. Sometimes it seems to be a bit sluggish but for the most part I'm happy with performance.

keith33
02-28-05, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone. Clay you interpreted my vague comment right on. So should I go with a 3 ghz LGA775 with a gig of ram, or a 3.4ghz with 2 gigs of ram?
Also are memory timings as important as on an A64?

Clay
02-28-05, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone. Clay you interpreted my vague comment right on. So should I go with a 3 ghz LGA775 with a gig of ram, or a 3.4ghz with 2 gigs of ram?
Also are memory timings as important as on an A64?
If you're able stay within your $900 budget (should be able to) then I'd go with the 3.4ghz with 2 gigs of ram.

retsam
02-28-05, 11:09 PM
what about the monitors ... from what it sounds like lots of programmers prefer a large desktop area over alot of bells and whistles ( im not a programmer just a systems guy )the programmers we have here at work were crying about getting dual 21" monitors ... so we gave it to them. seems like there very happy now ...

Clay
02-28-05, 11:15 PM
what about the monitors ... from what it sounds like lots of programmers prefer a large desktop area over alot of bells and whistles ( im not a programmer just a systems guy )the programmers we have here at work were crying about getting dual 21" monitors ... so we gave it to them. seems like there very happy now ...
Great point. I have dual 19" at work and it's the single best improvement by far. I'd rather have more/larger displays than a faster proc or more memory any day. Some of the older guys didn't buy into dual monitors at first but I worked at them to try it and now none of them will ever go back to a single display.

keith33
02-28-05, 11:17 PM
Yes, they are a whiny bunch for sure. :D
AFAIK everyone gets the standard 19" CRT over here. We just don't want to lose productivity by having them delayed from a system throttling. Right now I think we're going with the 5 series pentium 4s at 3.4 ghz with a 915p motherboard and a gig of corsair xms pc2-4300 ram. Is this a decent setup?

Clay
02-28-05, 11:20 PM
AFAIK everyone gets the standard 19" CRT over here. We just don't want to lose productivity by having them delayed from a system throttling. Right now I think we're going with the 5 series pentium 4s at 3.4 ghz with a 915p motherboard and a gig of corsair xms pc2-4300 ram. Is this a decent setup?
That is a fine setup. However, developers will be more productive/efficient with dual monitors. The gains from that outweigh faster procs or memory IMO. My development machine is farily pedestrian compared to what you're suggesting and I never experience any system throttling worth mentioning.

Absolution
03-01-05, 10:39 PM
go for it, looks good to me

In my opinion, the speed of processors in general have gotten to a point that multi tasking isnt really anything special, pretty much anything semi-new can handle it (asuming you have over 256mb of ram)

I had a p4 2.0ghz and a gig of ram and it ran just fine in visual .net, I've had 7 or so projets open and a variety of other programs running (ex emule, steam, counter-strike [yes i play cs while writing code ha] mirc [ooooo big hog there...jk] winamp etc etc etc) i upgraded to 1.5 gigs (had rdram atm) and I really didn't notice a change

sytaylor
03-02-05, 02:45 AM
They issue standard PIII 1ghz laptops here at work and expect us to run .NET on that. My advice would be go memory and CPU crazy, this thing is a damn HOG! Seriously it takes about a minute to open a simple web project with about 5 pages or smth...

Clay
03-02-05, 05:56 AM
They issue standard PIII 1ghz laptops here at work and expect us to run .NET on that. My advice would be go memory and CPU crazy, this thing is a damn HOG! Seriously it takes about a minute to open a simple web project with about 5 pages or smth...
You're right, that is a poor system to expect efficient development on. You need at least a CPU in the 2GHz range IMO w/ at least 1GB or memory. CPU speed greatly impacts how quickly projects open. Compile time is an issue too but the most irritating is waiting on a project to open.

sytaylor
03-02-05, 06:02 AM
Even on my home rig (specs in signiture), the thing isn't what I'd call nippy, thats why I whole heartedly reccomend a monster if you're using VS.NET. It's not essential but it saves on stress.

gsgrunt
03-04-05, 05:36 AM
I inherited a large .NET project based off the Rainbow portal. It takes a long time to compile and load the first page. I can spend up to an hour a day just waiting for my 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 (work PC). Just for kicks, I loaded the project up on my gamming rig. It is an A64 2.0 GHz. Both PCs have 1 GB of ram

Time to compile and display page:

P4 40 sec
A64 15 sec

I agree that dual monitors are a must.

Id like to know if Hyperthreading helps much. Is it possible to turn Hyperthreading off? Can someone with a P4wHT do some VS.net test with and without HT enabled?

Clay
03-04-05, 08:39 AM
I inherited a large .NET project based off the Rainbow portal. It takes a long time to compile and load the first page. I can spend up to an hour a day just waiting for my 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 (work PC). Just for kicks, I loaded the project up on my gamming rig. It is an A64 2.0 GHz. Both PCs have 1 GB of ram

Time to compile and display page:

P4 40 sec
A64 15 sec

I agree that dual monitors are a must.

Id like to know if Hyperthreading helps much. Is it possible to turn Hyperthreading off? Can someone with a P4wHT do some VS.net test with and without HT enabled?
I know I've read a better breakdown but this is all I could come up with for now: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/56/284993.aspx

That quick test of yours is impressive. I've always wanted to do some tests of my own but keep putting it off. Keep us updated with anything else you might find out. Thanks! :cool: