PDA

View Full Version : Over Clocking My CGU!!!

Seamore Butts
02-28-05, 08:55 PM
Hello ppls. I recently bought a Asus V9999 6800 Gamers Edition. I was wondering how i would go about overclocking this to a 6800 GT or even Possibly an Ultra. Any help is much appreciated. :D :D :D

:p :p :p

|MaguS|
02-28-05, 09:04 PM
Get coolbits and increase the clocks slowly, every 10mhz or so jump into a game such as HL2 or 3DMark to check for Artifacts (you'll know what they look like when you see them). I don't know if the Asus cards can reach GT or Ultra speeds... goodluck.

EDIT: Don't get mad if you can't, you get what you pay for. OCing and Modding is a perk but its not guaranteed.

keith33
02-28-05, 09:05 PM
First off, have you tried unlocking the 4 extra pipelines in RivaTuner as well as the extra vertex shaders? (I'm sure someone here with a 6800 Vanilla can go over how it's done). That will give you a far greater performance increase than simply overclocking. The pipelines could be corrupt though, forcing you to disable them again. After overclocking or flashing BIOSes or anything like that, make sure you run 3Dmark a few times to make sure the card remains stable. I would overclock in 10 mhz increments until you see artifacts in 3Dmark, in which case you go back to the previous highest setting and move up by 1 mhz at a time. I've heard people say find the max memory clock FIRST, then overclock the core after that. That seems to work the best for me. Make sure you have adequate airflow and power. Good luck!

|MaguS|
02-28-05, 09:07 PM
Oh and to add, Its GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)... I don't know what CGU means to you though...

Marcos
03-01-05, 06:37 AM
i saw "GCU" and thought "Said53?"

MUYA
03-01-05, 07:09 AM
Computer Graphics Unit?

saturnotaku
03-01-05, 09:23 AM
For the love of all that's good and holy, do not listen to anyone that tells you to flash the BIOS. Such a thing is not for the faint of heart or the newbie, and you can ruin your investment if you make one false move.

Unlocking the extra pipelines is done via software and can be undone if it doesn't work. Use the search function and/or browse the Guru3D.com forums for more information. The how-to's have been covered many times before. Just be mindful of the fact that a lot of people who have successfully unlocked the extra pipes have lost any ability to overclock the card as a result. This may be a trade off you'll have to live with. Once you have completed your outside research, if you have any further questions, please ask.

And just because I can, here's this: (no offense, I do this to everyone who asks about 6800 overclocking)

http://members.cox.net/saturnotaku/nvnews/6800OC.jpg

ViN86
03-01-05, 11:15 AM
graphic...

superklye
03-01-05, 11:21 AM
For the love of all that's good and holy, do not listen to anyone that tells you to flash the BIOS. Such a thing is not for the faint of heart or the newbie, and you can ruin your investment if you make one false move.

Unlocking the extra pipelines is done via software and can be undone if it doesn't work. Use the search function and/or browse the Guru3D.com forums for more information. The how-to's have been covered many times before. Just be mindful of the fact that a lot of people who have successfully unlocked the extra pipes have lost any ability to overclock the card as a result. This may be a trade off you'll have to live with. Once you have completed your outside research, if you have any further questions, please ask.

And just because I can, here's this: (no offense, I do this to everyone who asks about 6800 overclocking)

http://members.cox.net/saturnotaku/nvnews/6800OC.jpg
I love PA so, so much.