PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have FlightGear benchmarks?

KeyserSoze
02-28-05, 10:08 PM
It's a really cool free open source flight simulator:
http://www.flightgear.org/

If things go right at work, they're going to set up a simulated ****pit, with perhaps 3 PCs each outputting to their own LCD projector (left, right, and forward). Since I suggested FlightGear to them originally and hacked support into our sims to drive it, they asked me to recommend hardware specs. I'd like to have sufficient speed that we never have any noticeable slowdowns, but I don't want to look like an ass by spec'ing out $20k worth of hardware that turns out to be overkill :D. I've only tried it on a 2.8GHz P4 with a nVidia GF FX 5500 64MB, and framerates drop down to below 15fps occasionally, which is too slow.

Thanks.

PS: FlightGear has built-in support for running multiple PCs each driving one display, synchronized with each other over the network. So I don't need to worry about multiple monitors off a single graphics card or PC. And since the projectors are just 1024x768, I don't need to worry about high resolution, either. If we need more resolution we will just add projectors and a PC for each one.

retsam
03-01-05, 02:45 AM
your better off getting as much cpu power as possible. i would go with opterons

and i did notice this little tidbit

Flight Gear is a fairly typical OpenGL application in terms of it's performance and hardware requirements. It requires a reasonable hardware accelerated 3D card with full OpenGL drivers to achieve smooth frame rates. Software only rendering typically yields frame rates in the neighborhood of 1 frame per second. But, with a 3d accelerated card you can expect much higher. On a 1Ghz class CPU with a GeForce card, frame rates in excess of 60 fps are reasonable to expect in many situations. The actual frame rate varies of course with scene complexity (which changes from area to area and changes as your view direction changes.)
you are better off going with an nvidia based card becouse nvidia has the best opengl support in the industry when it comes to drivers.

here's an idea why not just write the company or call them yourself they will guild you better then any of us here

but please let us know how you make out and if you can post some pictures of the setup when your done. we love that kind of stuff here

oh ya and welcome to the boards

retsam

retsam
03-01-05, 02:47 AM
oh ya, you should see about sli you can run 4 monitors off that with one pc. i think if you synch via the network you are gonna run into latency issues as opposed to running it right off say one box. but good luck and let us know how you make out

retsam

retsam
03-01-05, 02:55 AM
here is a system one of the board memebers built you might be interested in this

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45575

TierMann
03-01-05, 03:08 AM
oh ya, you should see about sli you can run 4 monitors off that with one pc.

Last I heard you can't even run dual monitors with SLI enabled...
Are you sure about 4? (not a flame, I really am curious)

retsam
03-01-05, 03:36 AM
Last I heard you can't even run dual monitors with SLI enabled...
Are you sure about 4? (not a flame, I really am curious) oh man your right you cant! i didnt mean to point him in that direction... i should have said that the sli motherboards allow dual video cards with 4 monitor support....

TierMann
03-01-05, 01:32 PM
Hehe.. I just tried this out. The slideshow screensaver has a higher fps than this simulator on my system.

Edit: That's running the windows binary from their site, I havn't tried compiling my own or running it in linux yet. Might make a little difference but I don't think much.

TierMann
03-01-05, 06:46 PM
I don't know what happend on that first run, but now it seems to be running more smoothly.

System:
Windows
6800GT (400/1100)
512mb DDR333
Athlon XP 3000+

Settings:
Cessna 172P Skyhawk
Alcatraz - <default>
1024x768 fullscreen
All display and feature options ticked on.
(I changed nothing in advanced settings)

result:
35-80fps

I can't fly very well.. I actually got the plane in the air, but I couldn't keep it there :P

In the extremely likely event of a water landing...