PDA

View Full Version : 6800U heat troubles

crack
02-28-05, 11:36 PM
Artifacts on windows desktop & games, monitor goes black for one second once in a while, mouse cursor/screen freezing.

Results from overclocking 435/1120 (default 425/1100)? Temps were at most 2 C higher maybe just 1 C when set to those higher clock speeds.
http://img218.exs.cx/img218/7370/gpuidletemps8jp.jpg

Overclocked it to those temps about 3 days ago now i'v set clock speeds back to 425/1100 because of how its performing. Disassembled fan and applied Arctic Silver 5 to core & memory. Neither helped with temps nor fixes anything.

It performs well on system startup while cool. Its not driver related. Havenít made any hardware changes recently. What could it be?

Any recommendations for a good case? Want to go out tomorrow and purchase one.

Help!

bkswaney
02-28-05, 11:58 PM
Is 46 your load temp??

TierMann
03-01-05, 12:02 AM
Some more info please?
Motherboard, brand of card, driver version, power supply?

Does it go black at random or when you do something like bring up a right-click menu on a video file?

If that's your temp (load or idle), I don't think it's the problem.

crack
03-01-05, 12:32 AM
thats idle temps.
Motherboard: Intel - D845PESV
brand of card: PNY 6800 Ultra
driver version: 71.84
crap power supply: Tiger Power 300 WATT

Monitor is connect to surge protected outlet & not to the power supply.

System hardware has been the same since I purchased/installed the card back in September.

Does it go black at random or when you do something like bring up a right-click menu on a video file?

im guessing random. occuring while browseing the web w/ internet explorer. when i tried CS:S VST it showed artifacts/corrupt graphics then system crashed/rebooted.

crack
03-01-05, 12:50 AM
more info... Debug Settings
http://img13.exs.cx/img13/6607/dbgsettings8tq.jpg

ilal2ielli
03-01-05, 01:09 AM
uhhh.... dude, you need a way better PSU that than.

TierMann
03-01-05, 01:26 AM
The stress test is a normal thing. If it fails that then it's a problem.
I think it ends up underclocking if it fails.

The PSU is definitely something to look into also. I think 350w is the minimum for an Ultra. And as with most minimum requirements, they're rock bottom. It might run for you, but you'll get some wierd things happening under load when the voltage goes nuts trying to power the card.

Another road is to uninstall the 71.84's (after that, reboot in safe mode and use driverCleaner, reboot) and try the 66.93 release drivers and see if there's more stability.

I'm still betting on that power supply giving out on you though. A few months of powering that ultra may be getting to it.

crack
03-01-05, 02:19 AM
i already tried drivers that worked well before but it didnt seem fix anything. i use DriverCleaner after every driver unistall.

im thinking it possibly is the psu or the motherboard. i noticed that if i connect a led fan to the rear motherboard 3pin connection it flickers.

jondaviskorn
03-01-05, 02:22 AM
its def. the power supply i know my 6600gt requires a 350 and im pretty sure the 6800u is 400 or more minimum

mcolbourn
03-01-05, 07:25 AM
Remember it is not always the wattage that is needed you also need the apamage on the 12V rail. you could get a 600w PSU with a low ampage. So go for a good quality PSU one that quotes the ampage you should be looking at anything over 24/25.

rent
03-01-05, 10:28 AM
Remember it is not always the wattage that is needed you also need the apamage on the 12V rail. you could get a 600w PSU with a low ampage. So go for a good quality PSU one that quotes the ampage you should be looking at anything over 24/25.

Even thats a little high. Most Ultras run fine with 18A on the 12v rail.

To the OP, I would say change your PS just for the hell of it even if its not the problem. Thats seriously a weak point in your box. If you have more than 1 harddrive or optical drive, or even 2 or 3 cards in your pci slots, you're stressing your powersupply with the Ultra. I can only give so much :P

ViN86
03-01-05, 11:12 AM
always better to have overkill with the PSU than undershoot it. id go with 20+A on the 12V rail to ensure that the voltages are steady. if you decide ot OC then this is the case even more so.

PSU is probably the most important component of your computer, as nothing runs without it ;) if you get a good one (name brand, good wattage) it will last longer and supply cleaner/steadier power.