PDA

View Full Version : 6800 or 6600gt for me?

trix
03-01-05, 12:48 AM
hi, my 9800pro got burnt last week. its fan got spoilt. so i have these options
6800 128mb
6600gt 128mb
i dont know which of these will be better for my system.
pentium 4 2.4ghz ht
256mb ram
9800pro. burnt.

one more thing,
i am not very much into games, i play not more than 3 - 4 hrs in a day. i play only selected games like doom3, nfs and all. but my computer is switched on for 24/7. i switch off my machine once a week. as my bandwidth is very low, i keep my machine to download stuff. thats why my 9800pro got burnt.
so which of these cards produce lesser heat?

is there a way to have 2 display adapters on the machine at the same time. ?? :confused: :confused: :confused:
for example, a cheap card like the integrated card in my machine or geforce2 switched on, just when the machine is on for downloading stuff. while the geforce6 should remain completely off.
and when i wish to play games, the geforce6 card should be on, and this one to be switched off.

MUYA
03-01-05, 01:22 AM
If gaming with AA and AF isn't important then a 6600GT should suffice. If you game with high degree of AA and AF enabled, the 6800 is a better option.

There is no way you can do what you bolded. Only way to do dual xcards is thru PCI+AGP or PCIE+PCI or PCIE+PCIE (through SLI) etc. You cannot have one off and one on, that isn;t possible IIRC.

MUYA
03-01-05, 01:24 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/gainward_geforce_6800_golden_sample/index.shtml

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6600_gt_agp/index.shtml

The test systems are a little different but you can still get a rough idea.

to make your own mind up ;)

trix
03-01-05, 08:19 AM
saw those,
i am happy with the performance of the 6600gt. suits my system.

i am just worried about its fan not getting spoilt. if it does, then even this card will fry.

Gator
03-01-05, 08:25 AM
Well nobody can forsee a GPU fan failing, that's just bad luck. So regardless if you purchase a 6600GT or 6800 the same risk for a fan failure applies. At stock speeds the 6600GT and 6800 regular have similar performance. If you were happy with your R9800Pro then you'll definetly be pleased with the 6600GT since it performance marginally faster than the R9800Pro. And if you're looking to save money, then yes the 6600GT makes the most sense for you.

If you are that worried about fan failure, you could investigate a fanless video card but thus far I've only seen the 6600GT fanless in the PCIE version, not AGP :(

You could probably even invesitgate a mod from Zalman or something.

Cream
03-01-05, 08:38 AM
i am not very much into games, i play not more than 3 - 4 hrs in a day.

Is that 3 to 4 hours a a day :eek: I wish I could play that much :D

Both are good cards for your system it all depends on how much you want to spend.
My Dad has a 6600GT in his 2.4xp and it performs very well at 1024x768 not sure how good it would be higher than that, but as that's the limit of his monitor it works fine for him :) Playing games like Men of valor, NFSU2, medal of honour, doom 3 etc.