PDA

View Full Version : SLI Users- anyone over 2gb of ddr 400 or higher?

wheeljack12
03-01-05, 11:10 AM
I was just in the bios to check the ram details and it shows 4gb. When I reboot and post, I see the number just a little under 4gb for the ram but the speed is at ddr333. So, after a lot reseating of ram, I came up with this so far. If you are using anything ddr 400 or higher, you're max for ram is 2gb at least on the asus board so far. I checked the online stuff for asus and MSI's sli boards and they are the same, 4gb at ddr 333 but 2gb at ddr 400. I will be asking asus directly later on if this is a board thing where it can possibly fixed in a bios patch or if it's some other limitation. Because one of the main ideas of the 64-bit cpu was to allow a cpu, motherboard and 64-bit os to address memory above the 2gb limit and if ddr 400 caps at 2gb then the idea is a waste. Anyhow, the question to those out there is if any of you (sorry, venturi, I am looking for single cpu motherboards here) that are able to get more than 2gb on your motherboard of ram.

Rampant CL
03-01-05, 11:58 AM
erm, send me your rig and ill see if i can fix it...

superklye
03-01-05, 12:11 PM
That Venturi guy has 16GB RAM and dual Quadros, you may want to ask him about it.

wheeljack12
03-01-05, 05:47 PM
that's exactly why I don't want to ask Venturi. One he has a potential for a higher capacity of ram (16 vs. 4 on most regular sli boards) so his rig won't help. Two, he is using two 64 bit cpu's, so his system is completely geared towards the same. It doesn't help the one cpu user. In other words, his motherboard is a server board where I need help from the workstation/gamer board user. Rampant, send a cleared check with at least three zeroes in it and a 1st number above 3 and I wil consider,not!

jAkUp
03-01-05, 06:09 PM
Which BIOS are you using right now?

wheeljack12
03-01-05, 06:15 PM
1005- beta 3. I also tried with the same results on 1004 final.

$n][pErMan
03-01-05, 06:31 PM
My question is... why do you need over 2gb anyway?!?! lol :p

wheeljack12
03-01-05, 07:53 PM
regardless of what I need, it's more about the needs of the future. Yes, most likely AMD will get out a new cpu when the time is necessary. On the other hand, 64-bit cpu's were meant to access more than 2gb of ram with windows xp 64-bit on the way. With this setup, I get the full potential in ram in the system not the full bandwidth. However, I was on the AMD board itself and was suggested to set the ram speed at 400 and the ram timings to 2t. This would give me the 4gb at ddr 400. Going to try it later tonight. Sniperman, if you had the cash to max out your system, wouldn't you do so?

wheeljack12
03-01-05, 10:10 PM
well, I took the suggestion of the guy off the amd board. But I only needed to set the max memclock to ddr 400. I didn't need to set the memory timings and left them to auto and the pc sees all the ram now as ddr 400. The new dilema I have now is that it sees only 2.88gb in the post mem count but sees the 4gb in the bios. I know it says that the motherboard uses some memory for resource allocation, but over a gig! Venturi, I would require some help here as you are the only one who knows a system over 4gb. What kind of resource allocation loss do you get at the 16gb range?

$n][pErMan
03-02-05, 12:49 AM
Sniperman, if you had the cash to max out your system, wouldn't you do so? haha .. im just pulling your chain man... of course I would... I had a gig of memory 3 years ago when 256mb was the max you ever needed so im not one to talk :p

wheeljack12
03-02-05, 11:39 AM
It seems that the AMD staff and AMD forums are saying it's a single sided/double sided memory issue. Double sided ram maxes out at 2gb for ddr 400. It sounds like for me to use 4gb of ddr 400 ram I would have to get single sided ddr 400 1gb ram without overclocking. Good thing It seems that I have found at least one company (geil) that sells this stuff.

$n][pErMan
03-02-05, 11:48 AM
Do ALL the sticks have to be one sided?

wheeljack12
03-02-05, 07:14 PM
actually, geil's 1gb is double sided. And I am starting to investigate and finding that the terms single bank and single sided refer to two different things. The answer to the question I have been looking for it sounds like is to get 4gb properly working at ddr 400 is single bank ram which does not depend on the amount of sides that the dimm has in chips.

$n][pErMan
03-02-05, 07:49 PM
The answer to the question I have been looking for it sounds like is to get 4gb properly working at ddr 400 is single bank ram which does not depend on the amount of sides that the dimm has in chips. Id be curious as to why this is a must...

wheeljack12
03-03-05, 09:31 AM
I have been curious too about the rank thing. If it's a mathematical thing where the bank limit is a limitation, or the chips memory controller is locked so those when the time comes we all will have to upgrade when the need arises for all to have over the 4gb limit and want full speed from our ram without overclocking.

wheeljack12
03-03-05, 03:49 PM
the other question is the ram manufacturers. Most of them are now making ram at much higher speeds than what a motherboards max speed is like ddr 600 for the ocz brand are meant most likely to get past the t cmd rate and rank/bank barrier. Anyhow, the question I have is if high speed ram is purchased and overclock the stuff to a 1t ddr 400 level (theoretically since 1t is hard to achieve), does the fsb have to be overclocked also? Meaning can I push the high speed ram to get higher bandwidth without pushing the cpu faster since the max ddr bandwidth for fx series is 6.4gb/sec. Which is the ddr 400 bandwidth. For those who want to why I am asking, I like to get the most out of a investment.

$n][pErMan
03-03-05, 05:29 PM
IM not sure if this is what your asking .. but you can have ram thats faster than your FSB and it does not pose any issues because if it is an issue you can just underclock it to match the FSB.

wheeljack12
03-03-05, 08:08 PM
what I am asking is: when you overclock or use the ddr ram that is above 400 and overclock it, is it necessary to overclock the fsb too?

$n][pErMan
03-03-05, 09:05 PM
what I am asking is: when you overclock or use the ddr ram that is above 400 and overclock it, is it necessary to overclock the fsb too?
I would not htink so.. but I dont see how overclocking the ram without overclocking the FSB would do any good unless it was an explicit ratio like 6:5 or FSB + 33mhz or something of that nature. I've always read and noticed a 1:1 ratio is the best for AMD's. I got higher CPU benchmarks when my ram was 1:1 as opposed to operating at its full speed. Although there was every little if any noticable increase in performance in games.