PDA

View Full Version : Please give me some forceware advice :)

Xen
03-01-05, 01:53 PM
Alright, I own a XFX 6800 GT, and I'm looking for a driver with the following requirements:

1. It has around the same performance/image quality as the 71.20 driver.
2. The refreshrate override function isn't missing.
3. The tempature bug isn't there.

I always used the 67.03, but now I tried the 71.20 driver and at first really saw the image quality difference ( 7120=less quality), but I can live with that..and the performance it gave me over 6703 is significant!
Over 5 fps more in HL2 stress test, and overall feels smoother, and less framerate drops.

However, I also play day of defeat and the original counterstrike sometimes, in wich I want my refresh rate also to be @ 85hz, just like in all games I play.
Since the refresh rate override function is missing in 7120..i'm looking for another driver.

It's a shame that alot of drivers above 71.20 have the tempature bug :(

So, any forceware you guys can advice me? Thanks alot.

Demanufakture
03-01-05, 02:02 PM
71.20 drivers are meant for quadro cards. Pretty much all of the beta and official 7x.xx drivers have been for quadro cards. You should be using the official beta 67.66 driver from nzone with your geforce. They are the best right now. There is no release 70 driver yet for geforce cards. The geforce is still at release 65. Even though you can install quadro drivers on a geforce card because of the unified driver architecture you shouldn't because it is not optimized or made for geforce cards.

Xen
03-01-05, 02:16 PM
mm ok..didn't realise that.

I tried the 67.66 beta driver, but that's the only driver I get the 'insufficient power, lowering performance to prevent damage' message... (anyone else got that?)

With all other drivers I don't get that message.. and I have antec truepower 480W so that's not the problem..I also reseated the power cable just in case. Sometimes I didnt get that error when booting up with that driver..really strange.

Oh well..7120 is gone anyway :)

Demanufakture
03-01-05, 02:24 PM
mm ok..didn't realise that.

I tried the 67.66 beta driver, but that's the only driver I get the 'insufficient power, lowering performance to prevent damage' message... (anyone else got that?)

With all other drivers I don't get that message.. and I have antec truepower 480W so that's not the problem..I also reseated the power cable just in case. Sometimes I didnt get that error when booting up with that driver..really strange.

Oh well..7120 is gone anyway :)

Hmm , thats interesting. Ive been using the 67.66 driver since it came out and haven't had any problems with them at all. Of course i use BFG so......

Xen
03-01-05, 02:33 PM
Well, im downloading them again now..gonna try and see if I still get it.

Is there difference between 67.66_win2kxp_english.exe and the international one?
(always went with english so far)

Demanufakture
03-01-05, 02:35 PM
no, their is no difference between the english one or the international one. also, i just found out myself that some of the latest 7x.xx drivers, not the ones on nvidias public website, are made for geforce cards so if check around you might could find a 7x.xx driver you like also.

SLippe
03-01-05, 04:58 PM
71.84's rock!

zoomy942
03-01-05, 10:17 PM
71.84's rock!

i agree

Xen
03-02-05, 04:52 AM
Well, im downloading them again now..gonna try and see if I still get it.

Is there difference between 67.66_win2kxp_english.exe and the international one?
(always went with english so far)

Still got the 'insufficient power' message again..but only when I booted after my pc was off all night.. then I rebooted..it was gone..

It must be the driver..cause I haven't got that message with ANY other driver..only always with 67.66.

--

Ill check out the 71.84..I hope they don't have the temp bug..

zoomy942
03-02-05, 06:56 AM
this may be a dumb question, and i apologize if it is, but do you have a decent power supply?

Xen
03-02-05, 07:10 AM
this may be a dumb question, and i apologize if it is, but do you have a decent power supply?

As I said ;).. I have a antec truepower 480W.

I have not reorganized my power supply cables..so that the one going into my 6800 GT is not sharing with my harddisk ( or anything) anymore.

Maybe that works.

Waffles
03-02-05, 03:01 PM
use reforce to force the refresh rate.
http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

PSYCHODAD
03-02-05, 03:19 PM
Do you completely shut the power off to your pc when not in use?

Xen
03-03-05, 09:29 AM
No, just the 'on/off button'. :)

Btw to the ones recommending me te 71.84: that one both has the Temp bug, AND the missing refresh rate override function...

Demanufakture
03-03-05, 12:50 PM
No, just the 'on/off button'. :)

Btw to the ones recommending me te 71.84: that one both has the Temp bug, AND the missing refresh rate override function...

I dont think the refresh rate override is gone, just the tab for it in the driver. I think now you control your refresh rates from the resolutions and refresh rates tab, or whatever that tab is labeled as. I think.

SLippe
03-03-05, 01:32 PM
Funny, I'm using the Refresh Rate Override with them, but I also use NVTweak, so maybe that makes it show up in the cpl.

Xen
03-03-05, 01:57 PM
Funny, I'm using the Refresh Rate Override with them, but I also use NVTweak, so maybe that makes it show up in the cpl.

Mm ok..thanks for saying that..I might try nvtweak :)

on a sidenote: After I reboot, the insufficient power message with the 67.66 drivers isn't seen anymore until I start my pc again the next day, after being shut off a whole night.

Therefore I think I can just use the 67.66 driver, but just reboot when I get the message..and not see it anymore for the rest of the time I'm using my pc during that day.

Cause if the problem would still be there; I would be getting the message EVERY time I boot up, right? If I don't get the message when booting up..there's no problem I think..

Acid Rain
03-03-05, 02:10 PM
Still got the 'insufficient power' message again..but only when I booted after my pc was off all night.. then I rebooted..it was gone..
It must be the driver..cause I haven't got that message with ANY other driver..only always with 67.66. Odd. I run that driver and it is great. I am using the BFG, but yours should work just fine with it.

That sucks that you've got that problem, because the 67.66 gives me the best IQ easily, it doesn't have the temp "bug", it's rock solid and it's also a very good performer.

Again, you really should not have that issue. Have you first uninstalled your drivers through the control panel's add/remove, rebooted into safe mode and used driver cleaner to remove all traces of the existing drivers?

It should work flawlessly if you clean out the previous drivers first using the method outlined.

Xen
03-03-05, 04:49 PM
Odd. I run that driver and it is great. I am using the BFG, but yours should work just fine with it.

That sucks that you've got that problem, because the 67.66 gives me the best IQ easily, it doesn't have the temp "bug", it's rock solid and it's also a very good performer.

Again, you really should not have that issue. Have you first uninstalled your drivers through the control panel's add/remove, rebooted into safe mode and used driver cleaner to remove all traces of the existing drivers?

It should work flawlessly if you clean out the previous drivers first using the method outlined.

I agree with what you say about the driver.
I always uninstall the nvidia drivers from the add/remove list @ control panel. After that I reboot into safe mode, run driver cleaner, and clean everything 'nvidia'. Then i reboot and install the new drivers.

And btw I'm actually using the 67.66 drivers now, since I ONLY get the insufficient power message when the pc has been off for a long time. (altough only with these drivers). After that I reboot, and it's gone for the whole day, even if I reboot again.

j0j081
03-04-05, 02:05 AM
just use refresh force for your refresh rate override needs!!!