PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Zalman 7000bCu!

Pages : [1] 2

keith33
03-01-05, 06:31 PM
The name is self-explanatory right?
Well, I'm about to install this in a few hours but I have a few questions because I've never used one of these before

I don't really want to dismantle my entire system so can I use the stock retention plate?

Should Cool n' Quiet be disabled?

If I didn't want the external fan controller, and never connected it, would it automatically adjust speed due to temperature or would it automatically run at the highest setting?

Thanks for the help.

Clay
03-01-05, 06:45 PM
See top of page 6: http://www.zalmanusa.com/Upload/product/CNPS7000B_eng.PDF I don't use Cool 'n Quiet so I would disable it but that's just me.

keith33
03-01-05, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. Still, I would prefer to NOT use the fan controller, but no one has been able to tell me what happens when it is not connected. Will it auto adjust?

Clay
03-01-05, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. Still, I would prefer to NOT use the fan controller, but no one has been able to tell me what happens when it is not connected. Will it auto adjust?
OIC. No, it will not auto adjust if you use a 3 pin to molex adapter. In doing so you're feeding directly off your PSU and removing any BIOS or chipset level control of the fan controller cnxn on the mobo itself.

keith33
03-01-05, 07:16 PM
Sorry for the miscommunication, it must be the sleep deprivation. What I meant was for the heatsink to be connected to the motherboard (3 pin connector)' however, I don't want to use the external "fan mate" controller for it. Will the heatsink speed automatically be controlled by the BIOS?

Again, I apologize for not making this clear.

Clay
03-01-05, 07:39 PM
Sorry for the miscommunication, it must be the sleep deprivation. What I meant was for the heatsink to be connected to the motherboard (3 pin connector)' however, I don't want to use the external "fan mate" controller for it. Will the heatsink speed automatically be controlled by the BIOS?

Again, I apologize for not making this clear.
NP. You could not use the fan mate and just use a standard 3ping adapter (see attachment). If you do this, then the BIOS has no way of even knowing about about your fan. :)

jAkUp
03-01-05, 09:46 PM
Just plug it directly into the motherboard. My GF used to have that same heatsink, and I hated using that fan controller also, just more wires and more pain, I plugged it directly into the motherboard without using the fan controller, and it worked great.

The fan controller is only good if you want it to run slower.

keith33
03-01-05, 10:03 PM
Thanks a lot jakUp! Just putting it in now...

Clay
03-01-05, 10:17 PM
Oooh, that's all you were asking? :D Yeah those fan mates can be bought separately, nothing magical about them so just like jAkUp said. Although, I don't really trust the mobo CPU fan connectors. I just feel better having it connected directly to the PSU.

jAkUp
03-01-05, 10:22 PM
Oooh, that's all you were asking? :D Yeah those fan mates can be bought separately, nothing magical about them so just like jAkUp said. Although, I don't really trust the mobo CPU fan connectors. I just feel better having it connected directly to the PSU.

It actually is better to plug it directly into the PSU when you can. The less things being powered off of the motherboard, the better.

MUYA
03-01-05, 10:26 PM
Welll my CNPS 7700 CU is off the motherboard :) No difference to me! :D

Absolution
03-01-05, 10:32 PM
would it really strain it at all if you have even a decent power supply? i mean... its a dinky little fan and the most power people use is like 300wats (minus sli system)

jAkUp
03-01-05, 10:37 PM
hehe not at all, but this is just minor nitpicking ;) We are talking theoretically, not actual difference :)

keith33
03-02-05, 12:15 AM
Ok, I've spent 3 hours trying to install this piece of work. Wonderful. The screw hole on my retention plate on the left side, is not accepting the Zalman nipple. The right side fits fine with both nipples, but the left side I can only put the stock long screws into for some reason. I've put my stock one with some AS5 back on for now, but I'm pretty angry this thing wouldn't fit. Am I screwed?

MUYA
03-02-05, 12:23 AM
hmm I installed my 7700 CU in less than 15 mins w/o a hitch! Try again bud maybe there is a step u might be missing?

Clay
03-02-05, 06:04 AM
Ok, I've spent 3 hours trying to install this piece of work. Wonderful. The screw hole on my retention plate on the left side, is not accepting the Zalman nipple. The right side fits fine with both nipples, but the left side I can only put the stock long screws into for some reason. I've put my stock one with some AS5 back on for now, but I'm pretty angry this thing wouldn't fit. Am I screwed?
Not sure if this is a possible problem, but the K8N Neo2 Platinum is not listed on Zalman's "compatible" list. It's not listed as "incompatible" either but rather is listed as "Compatible when not using ZM80(A/C/D)-HP together!"

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7000(AB)_754-939-940MBlist_eng.htm

Hope that helps. I realize that you're not using a ZM80HP but at least this is something. I suppose it is safe to assume that your mobo would be compatible otherwise.

Riptide
03-02-05, 07:36 AM
I can confirm that - my 7000cu would never have fit in properly with my XTPE/ZM80D. No way no how. I had to use a Thermalright SLK948 instead. And even then it was extremely close - as in millimeters of clearance. One of my little complaints about the Neo2 is the position of the CPU socket.

Marcos
03-02-05, 08:59 AM

My friend I have the same motherboard as you.

I also have the 7000b-cu LED

Installation was painless. theres no reason it shouldnt be lining up.

The backplate goes on , then the mobo, then you screw down the nipple (huh huh nipple), line it up, screw down the small screws. plug it directly into the mobo unless you want to run at the low 1400 rpm wich is pointless unless you want silence because the cooling sucks at that speed.
so IMO the fanmate sucks.

At max fan speed it knocked my temps down 5c, and load is only a 5-8c increase, not bad if you ask me.

plus it looks sexy

keith33
03-02-05, 02:54 PM
I haven't tried the zalman retention plate yet, so that may be the problem. Basically, the nipple will not fit in the left screw (right works great) of the stock retention plate on the board. And somehow I got a single screw that won't come out of my motherboard so it's going to be hard changing retention plates (just my luck lol).

Marcos
03-02-05, 07:05 PM
I haven't tried the zalman retention plate yet, so that may be the problem. Basically, the nipple will not fit in the left screw (right works great) of the stock retention plate on the board. And somehow I got a single screw that won't come out of my motherboard so it's going to be hard changing retention plates (just my luck lol).

You definatly need the zalman plate!!!!

I got my mobo/cpu from tiger direct so i dont know about ya'll but my backplate was STUCK on i had to slowllllly pry the bitch off w/ a screwdriver.

keith33
03-02-05, 07:09 PM
Great. Thanks Marcos, will try that tonight. Any insight on how to loosen a motherboard screw that's tighter than hell on to the tray? lol

Marcos
03-02-05, 07:26 PM
a bigger screwdriver....

SLippe
03-02-05, 11:31 PM
...spit on it...

Marcos
03-04-05, 07:20 AM
well keith did it work???

keith33
03-04-05, 10:42 PM
This damn ****ing screw holding my motherboard down won't come out!!!