PDA

View Full Version : Important lesson: Don't reset CMOS when using SATA drives

superklye
03-01-05, 07:13 PM
I have Windows installed on my 60GB PATA (converted to SATA via awesome converter) and I decided I would try to OC a little.

I cranked the multiplier from 11 to 12 and put the voltage at 1.7v. My machine posted, but Windows wouldn't boot. So I reset the CMOS because no matter how many times I hit DEL, I couldn't get into the BIOS.

I got back up and I kept getting "DISK READ ERROR! INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" or something like that.

It got to the point where I had to repair the Windows install so I could get back.

Man, what a cluster****.

superklye
03-01-05, 08:34 PM
Great. Apparently I have to keep my Windows disc in the drive at all times because my computer will not boot up without it.

Sigh. WHAT THE HELL?!

SH64
03-01-05, 08:38 PM
Have you tried going back to PATA ??

superklye
03-01-05, 08:42 PM
I'd have to reinstall Windows and unhook my two 160s, putting one of them back onto the ATA133 controller card.

It's not worth it to do it now, when I ahve work to do during the week. This week? I just may have to.

superklye
03-01-05, 08:54 PM
I'm just going to reinstall Windows, probably tomorrow night after I get my work done. My machine is acting really, really weird now. The CRT keeps flashing and then whatever is on screen goes black and I have to minimize and restore to get it normal.

FF takes almost 30 seconds to launch when I start it...I don't know what the problem could be. :(

SH64
03-01-05, 09:15 PM
FF takes almost 30 seconds to launch when I start it...I don't know what the problem could be. :(

Hmmm i had similar problem when installed my new SATA . the loading times in games increased 2 times or even 3x & the same happend for copying & removing files . i didnt find the problem back then so i just removed the SATA to my other PC & worked fine there .

maybe something wrong in the HDD settings in the BIOS ?

superklye
03-02-05, 12:49 AM
No, it worked like a dream until I messed with the CMOS, now I'm having all these problems.

I think what I might do, once I get a second SATA cable, is just put my two 160s together in a RAID and have the 60GB on IDE. Then, no worries about funky Windows installs or anything.

What do you guys think?