PDA

View Full Version : 1 million PSP's by NA launch, 3 million woldwide by 31st

Bad_Boy
03-01-05, 10:58 PM
shortages smortages :cool:

Sony targets a million PSPs for US launch
Unspoken addition to today's announcement is that PS2 shortages should be no more as of April.

In press release that spouted more numbers than a drunken Keno runner, Sony Computer Entertainment America tried to get a retail channel burned by holiday shortages of the new slimline PlayStation 2 back in its camp.

Calling the PSP figure "an upward revision in preparation for its North American launch on March 24," SCEA is now promising one million units of the new handheld will be available at launch. The console maker confirmed an "overall three million-unit worldwide shipment estimate by the close of its fiscal year ending March 31."

Jack Tretton, executive vice president, Sony Computer Entertainment America said in a statement, "we know that PSP has the potential to become the consumer 'must-have' product of 2005…Having one million units available on day one demonstrates our commitment to getting a PSP in the hands of as many consumers as possible right out of the gate."

Tretton confirmed the unit will still be available only as part of the single-SKU, $249.00 bundle PSP Value Pack, which includes: a 32 MB Memory Stick Duo; headphones; battery pack; AC adaptor; case; wrist strap; cleaning cloth; UMD sampler disc; and for the first one million units shipped, a UMD copy of Spider-Man 2 for an SRP of $249.99.

Sources close to Sony also said that, in addition to today's PSP announcement, the company was letting the retail community that the PlayStation 2 shortages would soon be a thing of the past. SCEA reps reportedly said that the company's efforts to restock the console-starved channel with new PS2s will be complete by April 1.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/01/news_6119488.html

:D

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 11:44 AM
and they'll all still be sold out in the first 4 days. =/ I pre-order nothing. The hunt is half the fun of games.

|MaguS|
03-03-05, 12:21 PM
Pfft, Sold out on the first day is my bet. All my local stores that have beent aking preorders are sold out, they are only reserving for second batch now...