Abit AG8-V
Intel 540 lga 775 3.2ghz @ 3.7ghz
Thermaltake silent 775 cooling
eVGA 6800GT PCI-E Stock frequencies
Raidmax case with Raidmax 420W PSU
2x512mb PDP Patriot dual channel DDR 533 pc4200
120gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 hard drive
WinXP sp2

Now I have had this system running fine for over a month now but today when I booted it up, the machine turned on but the monitor stayed blank. I shutdown and went to the cords and took out the video cable and put it back in. Restarted, same thing. Monitor displays nothing. I have reset the card in the pci e slot and tried it without the secondary power connecter but it still wont show anything on the screen. I do NOT have another pci-e card to try out as this is my first pci-e system, hell my first built system period.

Another problem. 3 weeks ago I was running some temp tests Far Cry, Doom 3, Hl2 etc and I had noticed that my temp on the card was 85c (load) and 58c (idle). At the time I thought this was high so I put some Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU. Ran same tests again and the temps were 75 load and 52 idle. So I was more comfortable with that. But doesn’t that void my warranty? Cause I was going to send back the card to evga but wont they check for this stuff and then I will be screwed?

Any help would be appreciated.

superklye
03-02-05, 04:55 PM
You should try and get another card to try it out. Do you have any friends with PCIe graphics cards that wouldn't mind letting you take it for a few minutes?

Sero
03-02-05, 05:05 PM
lol funny that as i have a friend who has a pci e mobo with intergrated video hes waiting for his x800. I could bring my GT over to his place and try it. Any risk to his system by doing this? As this is a possibly faulty card. Dont want sparks a flying.

superklye
03-02-05, 05:16 PM
I don't think putting a faulty card into a system is going to damage it, unless there are loose wires electrocuting everything. It just won't work.

Sero
03-02-05, 05:38 PM
Tried booting up with another moniter Nothing.

ronin17
03-02-05, 07:06 PM
is this through DVI or DSUB? Does the computer POST at all? Any beeps that have to do with failing a VGA test?

I sometimes have trouble with getting nothing out of my monitor when using DVI when I don't have my monitor drivers installed. Hooking up with DSUB and installing the drivers fixes this problem. Good luck

superklye
03-02-05, 07:13 PM
Try it in your friend's machine...the one with PCIe waiting for his X800

Sero
03-02-05, 07:35 PM
is this through DVI or DSUB? Does the computer POST at all? Any beeps that have to do with failing a VGA test?

I sometimes have trouble with getting nothing out of my monitor when using DVI when I don't have my monitor drivers installed. Hooking up with DSUB and installing the drivers fixes this problem. Good luck

yea i use that adapter. My moniter is a samsung syncmaster 997df a crt. And for some reason ever since ive had this machine its never used the system speaker and yes its connected right. I do not see anything on the screen, no post no nothing. My light on the moniter is green and blinks like it doesnt see anything at the end of the cord. The light on the 6800 is on and is green and the vga fan is spinning so i suppose its getting power.

mrdak
03-03-05, 11:18 AM
Hi all.

I have been having trouble with my recently built system:

Abit AG8-V
Intel 540 lga 775 3.2ghz @ 3.7ghz
Thermaltake silent 775 cooling
eVGA 6800GT PCI-E Stock frequencies
Raidmax case with Raidmax 420W PSU
2x512mb PDP Patriot dual channel DDR 533 pc4200
120gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 hard drive
WinXP sp2

Now I have had this system running fine for over a month now but today when I booted it up, the machine turned on but the monitor stayed blank. I shutdown and went to the cords and took out the video cable and put it back in. Restarted, same thing. Monitor displays nothing. I have reset the card in the pci e slot and tried it without the secondary power connecter but it still wont show anything on the screen. I do NOT have another pci-e card to try out as this is my first pci-e system, hell my first built system period.

Another problem. 3 weeks ago I was running some temp tests Far Cry, Doom 3, Hl2 etc and I had noticed that my temp on the card was 85c (load) and 58c (idle). At the time I thought this was high so I put some Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU. Ran same tests again and the temps were 75 load and 52 idle. So I was more comfortable with that. But doesn’t that void my warranty? Cause I was going to send back the card to evga but wont they check for this stuff and then I will be screwed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Sero,
I think you could try using some acetone or pure isopropyl alcohol and clean the AS5 off of the entire chip, and even swab some around the board all around the chip to make sure you clean it good. AS5 will dry and sort of flake off and it will get where it isn't supposed to be if you put too much on. Just reapply the slightest bit and spread it evenly. Im talkin about half the size of a grain of rice. Thats almost too much, you follow me ? Thats what it sounds like to me...AS5 is shorting something and it's causing your problem. I may be wrong, but it's worth a try. and....I have an EVGA6800GT, and when I took mine apert to clean it up and apply AS5, there was already a silver paste on there, so if you do rma the card, just don't mention AS5 at all, and you should be ok. By the way, that stuff really works, just remember the less you use, the better it works. But dude, try that cleaning I suggested..It just might save the day.
Good Luck my friend. :D

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 11:22 AM
take it to your friends and see if it works, even if the card is shot, it wont hurt his system. If it works, then u know it's something else. Slowly eliminate every possibility =)

H-street
03-03-05, 11:40 AM
just a quick question..

have you cleared your CMOS (Bios)?

before you get too crazy i would start by clearing your cmos and resetting the system completely.. (unplug, push power button to remove all residual electricity, clear CMOS, wait a minute)

i've had this happen to me before on other systems and it ends up fixing it..

if it is a video card issue, when your system posts it should beep at you (unable to detect video card)..

if you don't hear any beeps you may not be posting correctly..

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 11:42 AM
I've had dead cards not beep. I'd seriously go to your friends first before u mess with bios.

H-street
03-03-05, 11:44 AM
I've had dead cards not beep. I'd seriously go to your friends first before u mess with bios.

i don't know if i'd call resetting cmos to default messing with it..

Sero
03-03-05, 02:22 PM
Argh didnt work in my friends system. First when we put it in the system wouldnt boot at all. Then we took it out and restarted and it booted succesfully into XP using intergrated video. Then we tried it again with the 6800 in it and it powered on but no picture. Was using a moniter that has dvi connecter on it so no adatper.

I tried the cmos nothing changed

Im gonna try redoing the AS5. Quick question. Do you put the AS5 on the smaller chip thats below the one that says nvida on it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/****monger/nv40.jpg

edit: haha word filter. You have to add $h1t (you know) before monger

Sero
03-03-05, 03:47 PM
I tryed swappin out ram with some older pc2700 and now my mobo give me a error that read in the manuel as:

"Switch back to text mode if full screen logo is supported

-If error occur, report errors & wait for keys
-If no errors occur or F1 key is pressed to continue: Clear EPA logo (not for full screen logo)"

What does that mean?

I was using 1 stick of 512mb pc 2700 as opposed to 2x 512mb pc4200 so now somethings different but still no picture on the moniter. My gig of 4200 works fine in the box im on now so the ram is not damaged i dont think.