PDA

View Full Version : A command to disable a secondary monitor

brainless
03-02-05, 10:02 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a friend who is running dual monitors with a geforce fx 5200. What he needs to know is if there is any command-line program that can be used to disable the second monitor and then later used to turn it back on. What he needs this for is because gaming with 2 monitors being rendered has very poor porformance, and it would be convient to have a command that could be started with a keyboard shortcut, and that doesn't require user intervention. So when he wants to play a game he presses, for example, "ctrl + alt + M" (or something), and it will disable his 2nd monitor. Then, when he's done, he would just press it again to reenable it. Currently he is having to go into the settings and manually disable and enable it, so a keyboard shortcut, or and icon on the desktop, would be preferable. So all I need to know is if there is a simple command that will disable and enable a secondary monitor.

saturnotaku
03-02-05, 10:11 PM
Don't think there is one. You might be able to create a profile using the driver control panel that disables it when the game itself is launched.

brainless
03-04-05, 03:19 AM
Ok. Thank you for the help. I'll look into it for him. But are you sure that there isn't a command, because I remember seeing something about it. It was regarding playing doom 3 with 2 monitors being rendered. But if this profile works, then it seems to be a better alternative. And again, thank you for the reply.

superklye
03-04-05, 07:22 PM
You can set the drivers for single-display hardware acceleration and then he doesn't have to disable the second monitor.

mjc2928
03-13-05, 08:30 PM
I was looking for the same thing and although I could not find a script or command, I did find another solution.

<a href:http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/> ultramon </a>

This is a program that has a lot of tools for dual and multi monitors, but the one I used to resolve the issue was setting a hotkey to disable/enable secondary monitor.

I just set this option to ctrl + z and now, with the touch of these two buttons, I can disable and enable the secondary monitor.

Another advantage is now my secondary monitor also has a toolbar, which displays all the windows I have open on that monitor.

I know this wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

-Mike

brainless
03-13-05, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, but he seemed to have gotten it working. What he did was create another profile (one without a secondary monitor) and set up a hotkey to it, and he also set up a hot key to return to his dual monitor profile. This seems like it would be better because he doesn't need to run another program; its all included in the nvida driver. Anyway, I'm glad you found a solution as well.