PDA

View Full Version : 71.84 Temperature problem

pduan87
03-02-05, 10:49 PM
Does the 71.84 temperature problem only affect 6800 GT's or all 6800's?

I got a BFG 6800OC and was wondering if this would affect it.

Marcos
03-02-05, 10:53 PM
i think all gts.

I dont mind it....

Idle: 74c
Full load: 74c

pduan87
03-02-05, 11:56 PM
No, mine is a regular 6800. Does it affect that?

bkswaney
03-03-05, 12:23 AM
Yes... I installed them tonight and my temp went up to 72 idle.

All I had to do if overclock 2d to 402 and then bring
it back down to 350.
Then the card droped back down to normal temps. :)

I run my BFG GToc at 350 in 2d and 400 in 3d for everyday use.
I run my memory at 1.1.

This is a crazy fix that works. :confused: ;)

BrownHornet
03-03-05, 12:49 AM
Got me to at 70c at first i was at 78 just on windows broke my pc down and found out i had plugged two fans backwards for about a week. :afro:

My card usually sits at about 64 idle normally with other drivers.

c3ham
03-03-05, 05:18 AM
I installed these drivers and my temps stayed the same as last drivers (67.66). Idle/load 46/64 but i have my fan plugged into my motherboard as im using a valman cooler.

EverGreen
03-03-05, 05:24 AM
Does the 71.84 temperature problem only affect 6800 GT's or all 6800's?

I got a BFG 6800OC and was wondering if this would affect it.

Inseveral threads did peeps spoken about the temp problems, there are also solutions to lead you the way out, so be carefull next time before posting same old threads.

Vapor Trail
03-03-05, 06:35 AM
Inseveral threads did peeps spoken about the temp problems, there are also solutions to lead you the way out, so be carefull next time before posting same old threads.

There are so many threads here about temps because it is such a big issue and because there has been NO official respose about it from Nvidia.

I don't mind a bug where a few pixels are out of place on screen, but raise my card's clock temp 10 degrees c and that's a big deal to me.

Is there an official bug reporting area for Nvidia somewhere???? It would seem to me that something this serious would at least have been addressed by now let alone fixed.

:mad:

EverGreen
03-03-05, 08:06 AM
Is there an official bug reporting area for Nvidia somewhere???? It would seem to me that something this serious would at least have been addressed by now let alone fixed.

Well that reminds me with the yellow water bug in HL2, they never occors that it was a bug inside, the whole afford could be a type match inside them, tracing a bug is serious long bussiness.....
Just like a needle in the haystack :p

OWA
03-03-05, 08:14 AM
There are so many threads here about temps because it is such a big issue and because there has been NO official respose about it from Nvidia.

I don't mind a bug where a few pixels are out of place on screen, but raise my card's clock temp 10 degrees c and that's a big deal to me.

Why is it so serious since the temps are usually the same or less than what they are under load? It's still way within the specs. I don't have the issue, btw.

Edit: Not saying I wouldn't want it resolved if I was experiencing it but it doesn't seem like a critical issue (to me).

Vapor Trail
03-03-05, 10:22 AM
Why is it so serious since the temps are usually the same or less than what they are under load? It's still way within the specs. I don't have the issue, btw.

Edit: Not saying I wouldn't want it resolved if I was experiencing it but it doesn't seem like a critical issue (to me).

Anything that is potentially messing with the long term lifespan of my video card is a concern to me. Running 10 degress C hotter can not be a good thing over the lifespan of a GPU. Especially when you spend much more of your time in 2d mode than 3d mode.

It just bugs me that there has been no official response about this issue and it would be very comforting if someone from Nvidia would tell us what the deal is.

jnd3
03-03-05, 12:05 PM
It seems like it hits older FXs, too ... my 5800U is showing idle temps of about 67C, where before it was in the mid 50s. Still well below the danger point, though, so I don't much care.

x[sliver]
03-03-05, 12:15 PM
My 6800ultra sits at mid 50's idle.. 60's under load.. 450 core clock 1.2ghz memory.

Get a better case.

SquireSCA
03-03-05, 02:47 PM
Who cares if the temp is being misrepresented?

As long as the card works and you know that it is within the manufacturer's specs, what's the difference if the panel is accurate or not?

The card will be fine, so why worry about it?

Too many people get hung up on these numbers, or wether one driver is 17 3Dmarks faster than another, or if this driver is 1C hotter than another.

The differences are all within the margin of error, hence, you don't need to worry about it. ;-)

TierMann
03-03-05, 03:12 PM
Who cares if the temp is being misrepresented?

As long as the card works and you know that it is within the manufacturer's specs, what's the difference if the panel is accurate or not?

The card will be fine, so why worry about it?

The worrying comes from the fact that it's not a misread. It's running 10c hotter. A gpu should not be running at load temps ALL of the time. More worrying comes from not knowing why it's actually running hotter. It's not fan speed, so is it voltage? Nobody knows and so far theres no official statement about it. OC'ing the 2d to 401+ seems to "fix" it, but some people can't OC that high, or don't want to because of warranty or fear of over working their cards. Also, after oc'ing it, the temps _gradually_ drop back to the normal idle, not instantly. This is a quick way to test if your sensor is just 10c higher and that's correcting it or if it's actually hot. External sensors/thermometers show the same increase.