PDA

View Full Version : 2d/3d core/mem clock speeds

GuOD
03-03-05, 12:30 AM
Should the 2d and 3d max speeds for core/mem be the same or should 3d be higher? I know 3d has more volts but maybe it doesn't make a difference for overclocking?

Clay
03-03-05, 12:34 AM
Should the 2d and 3d max speeds for core/mem be the same or should 3d be higher? I know 3d has more volts but maybe it doesn't make a difference for overclocking?
You'll here opinions for both. I've always kept my 2D at default clocks and only overclocked my 3D, never had any problems doing so.

bkswaney
03-03-05, 12:56 AM
You'll here opinions for both. I've always kept my 2D at default clocks and only overclocked my 3D, never had any problems doing so.

I agree.. Same here.

I underclock my BFG GToc.
I run a 350 2d speed. Factory is 370.
It lowers my temp by 2 degree's on idle. :)

Lash444
03-03-05, 10:24 AM
You guys are lucky. I used to have major problems when switching between 3d and 2d using alt tab. Then I used the GTU bios by thugsrook, and it appeared that almost all of my problems went away. Then it happened again, black screen during alt-tab. I have never had this problem when my 2d and 3d voltages are the same, and the speeds are equal. So at least for me, I put them the same and just deal with it. Thats the only way that my card is rock solid.

GuOD
03-03-05, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the responses but I think I was a little unclear.

Should the core/mem clocks be ABLE to reach the same at 2d and 3d?

Like, my core is only stable until 405, but that's both for 2d and 3d. I thought the 3d would be able to go higher

My mem can go 10mhz higher with 3d mode vs 2d mode.

toxikneedle
03-03-05, 12:45 PM
my mem clocks are always same for 2d and 3d but the core clocks are diferent. Although my 2d is also overclocked, it's 30mhz less than my 3d core clocks. Anyways, I dont think it ever caused any problems.

Gentle
03-03-05, 04:02 PM
The main reason there are separate values for 2D and 3D modes is so that you can use less power while browsing the internet and while using word processors and such..

You don't need to have your video card running at 475MHz (or whatever) while doing these things because it's just plain wasteful of electricity.

For instance, with the 6600GT, the 2D core speed is 300MHz. In 3D the core is 500MHz. I use less power while in 2D mode, and you know, I don't really think being at 500MHz would make much difference for me anyway.

Gentle