PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Flashlight Bug?

Trikster1000
03-03-05, 04:53 AM
Two weeks ago I have bought a 6600GT from PNY and now some textures turn black, when I use the Flashlight on them. It is the same with CS Source

I am new in this forum and maybe someone knows if its a driver problem or a hl2 bug or could my 6600GT be damaged?

I use 66.93 driver

msxyz
03-03-05, 08:46 AM
Since I switched from my 5700U to a 6600GT I had all sort of problems with HL2. Water, unlit surfaces, random clipped polygons, etc.. I had to revert to DX8.1 rendering to solve the problems. But with every other program my card runs just fine. I think that also in your case it's a problem with that goddam game, not the card.

Trikster1000
03-03-05, 10:00 AM
Thanx for your answer
This could be a way - I have to try it.

Now I am interested in this:
Could someone solve this problem through driver change to a newer beta driver?

I have only tried 66.93 and I think 67.66 (I am not shure about the .66)
With both i have this bug

About the bug:
its not that the texture turns only black; it's also that the flashlight works on some textures and some stay "normal"

Ninjaman09
03-03-05, 10:13 AM
I think that also in your case it's a problem with that goddam game, not the card.
Bingo. :)

|MaguS|
03-03-05, 11:22 AM
So its been proven its a problem with the game and not Nvidia? Just like it was proven that SOE is the cause of stuttering in EQ2 and yet Nvidia is fixing it in a future driver release?

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41464&highlight=Flashlight

Even though many people are blaming valve, look at the people who have the issue... Nvidia users.

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 12:08 PM
It boggles my mind that HL2 can be so buggy. It was in development since 2000 and as we all know they delayed it an extra year to work on it, yet we get stuttering, odd textures, bad sound, etc. Doom 3 might have been alot less fun to play for me, bit I'll give credit where it's due, at least id made a game with alot less flaws.

Trikster1000
03-03-05, 12:13 PM
Does anybody really know why this flashlight-bug is on Nvidia cards? Is there a statemant or something else from Nvidia or Valve? Will it be fixed in future?

It's a great game. With my old card - 9800pro it worked very well.

I really don't like to play the game with this bug.
And yes, I know I don't have to play it
I only think it would be great if the bug was not there!

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 12:17 PM
yea, dont get me wrong, its a great game, but the bugs make it really frustrating. Have you tried different drivers, the 66.93's are kinda old at this point.

Trikster1000
03-03-05, 01:25 PM
No I have not! But I removed the game and now I have to wait until I can drive to a friend who has internet connection.

But maybe the problem only comes because I changed to a new card without new installation of the game. Could it be that there are saved configs for the old ATI card or so?

Has anyone the same problem without changing to a new card?

photophreak314
03-03-05, 09:29 PM
Yes. That happens on only some staircases in the game, and only when you're going DOWN them, coming up is fine. Also happens in vents sometimes (walls or floor not being lit correctly) Mind this bug only affected gameplay for about 1 minute max, as I was through those areas quickly and didn't have to return. This happened with all driver sets from 66.XX through to current 71.20 that I am running. I think its a Source problem. Only one of the many bugs I found. Like not being able to hit certain objects with other objects, ie exploding canister against airship when using gravity gun (it would have helped if it exploded when hitting it, not just going right through)

Speaking of bugs in this game ... See attachment. WTF is THAT!!

Trikster1000
03-05-05, 09:48 AM
Now I've tried to use DX 8.1 and it works!

OK, but this could not be the "final" solution!!??

I want to play in 9.0

Ruined
03-05-05, 09:58 AM
Now I've tried to use DX 8.1 and it works!

OK, but this could not be the "final" solution!!??

I want to play in 9.0

final solution is for valve to fix their buggy game :)

Lfctony
03-07-05, 12:22 PM
Your 6600GT isn't damaged, it's an Nvidia DX9 issue, had it with my 6800U, still have it with my 6800GT but my X800XT doesn't suffer from it, nor did my X800 Pro before that. It's indeed fixed when you run the DX8.1 path, which points to the path Nvidia uses for Source when running DX9. I believe it's driver related, since ATI cards don't suffer from it. Neither Nvidia nor Valve aknowledge it though, which is really a bad way to deal with a problem.

Rakeesh
03-07-05, 12:45 PM
I run into the same problem with HL2. Namely, you can be standing on one side of a room, and the flashlight doesn't luminate the floor at all. When you stand on the other side of the room, the flashlight works perfectly.

Why doesn't this happen in farcry or doom 3? Answer: HL2 is just buggy. I went over the same thing with a surround sound issue for three months, and valve kept blaming it on my soundcard and its drivers. Of course, all the while several other cards were affected as well, such as a few nvidia ones and creative ones. Later on, a patch to HL2 finally fixed the damn thing.

These are few of many major bugs affecting HL2. There are just too many things wrong with that game.

msxyz
03-07-05, 04:42 PM
A method to see if it's indeed a driver problem is to swap the card profile in the dxsupport.cfg.

People were able to play the DirectX 9 path flawlessy on FX5900 using the Radeon 9800 template. I haven't the game installed anymore but it would be worth some trying.

Lfctony
03-07-05, 04:46 PM
I tried doing that as well, it doesn't work.

Trikster1000
03-08-05, 04:23 AM
In the release notes of the 71.84 beta driver this flashlight bug is mentioned as "lightning issue". So Nvidia knows about the problem and maybe...in the future...far far away...you know!!!

Thanks for all your posts in this thread!!

Trikster1000
05-31-05, 05:47 AM
In the release info of one of the newer official forceware drivers (I think 71.89) they write that this problem is NOT a nvidia bug!
Ok I have this game now for around a half year, and I really wanna know when I can play it in the directx mode 9 without this ****ing flashlight bug!!

And when I use the 8.1 there are other errors
So its very dissapointing

Maybe someone has new informations????