PDA

View Full Version : My computer keeps rebooting...

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 09:43 AM
It's not a heat issue. cpu, gpu, system temp are all in range and the same as always, i've had this setup (in my sig) for a bit over a year. Weird thing is, the system only reboots on it's own when I stand up out of my chair or move around next to it...like theres some electronic waves in the air.....I left my pc on for 3 days, it was fine, then i sat down, played some hl2 for about 2 hours online (this is while it was on for 3days), still fine, then I get up to leave for a drink and boom, reboots....check all my wires, nothing is loose...no loose wires, no overheating, all i'm left is thinking its the psu. But before I go out and buy a new one, I wanted to make sure there werent any other possibilities....cause this is really making me scratch my head. I havent messed with bios, it's up to date, my chipsets are up-to-date, and i'm using the 67.03a drivers by xtreme g. I just dont understand why it only reboots when I stand up out of my chair or reach towards it (and it doesnt happen everytime, but once in a while and only when I do these two things) I'm leaning toward psu, but my cd drivers arent popping out on their own and i'm not getting reboots during gaming (both which stress the psu) so if anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated. :)

Never had a reboot during gaming or in the middle of a prog, only when getting up or reaching toward the pc. :confused:

Clay
03-03-05, 09:51 AM
Sounds like it might be shorting out? Poor ground perhaps. One of my coworkers had a similar issue with his laptop...only happened in his office, when he touched an area of the keyboard. Very strange. Maybe try changing how your case is sitting (on end or on its side). Try another electrical outlet. Just some ideas.

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 10:30 AM
I did move it closer to my window, for the nice cold drafts...I dont oc, but I like the extra -5c when its sitting there. I did this last year and it was fine...I'll try moving it when I get home and see what happens. Thanks for the info clay =)

Clay
03-03-05, 10:36 AM
Hopefully moving it or trying another outlet will work. Things like this are very quirky and hard to reproduce at times. Good luck!

f|LtH fR@g
03-03-05, 10:53 AM
Hopefully moving it or trying another outlet will work. Things like this are very quirky and hard to reproduce at times. Good luck!

yea cause it rebooted twice in one day like that, and then it was fine for over 2 weeks. Then it did it again a few days ago, I left it on for 3 days, it was fine..(i left mirc on and downloaded a bunch of old wrestling movies) then once last night...so i'm at the point where it's time to figure out what the score is here. Had a guy @ school tell me it might be static charge from when i'm getting up, making the system reboot, and he told me i probably need a new psu, but imo, a new psu would do the same thing? Doesn't make sense to me. (i'm using a 430 watt true antec, about 8 months old)