PDA

View Full Version : Building Comp - Specs

Pages : [1] 2

budd_wm
12-02-02, 06:56 PM
Well, here are the specs of the comp I am about to build. Just wondering if there is anything I should take away or add. It's well within my price limit too (saved up for a year). I will be watercooling and overclocking everything. :D

Anyway, here it is:

Case: Koolance PC2-601BW (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-13.html) w/ Antec 480W PSU
Mobo/CPU: Intel P4 2.8GHz w/Granite Bay mobo (probably the Gigabyte model coming out)
RAM: 1GB Corsair XMS rated at 333MHz (two 512 sticks)
Video Card: ATI AIW 9700 Pro
Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution
Boot drive: Seagate 36GB SCSI 15.3k drive
Storage: Two WD SE 80GB IDE drives in RAID 0 Array
CD-RW: Lite-On 48x24x48 Black
DVD-ROM: Pioneer Internal ATAPI 16X Slot Drive
Floppy Drive: Sony 1.44MB 3.5 Internal Drive

Already got the monitor and speakers (monitor is a Sony CPD-G520P and speakers are Cambridge SoundWorks 550s). Only thing I'm waiting on before I begin buying is the mobo. So what do you guys think? Anything that needs improvement, or anything adjustments need to be made? I should also add that I will be adding lights, etc to the case and also get a Vibes III for the SCSI (plus sound dampening material for the case). Watercooling the IDE HDs, mobo, CPU, and video card (not sure about the video card cause of the TV Tuner, but will try).

styles-T
12-02-02, 07:01 PM
Thats a killer rig I would die for :D

pelly
12-02-02, 07:07 PM
Overall, that looks to be one sweet system!

I only have two hang-ups.....which may not be problems.....just curious...

1) Are you sure the SCSI will play nice with the IDE-RAID?
( I've never really seen this....typically one or the other )

2) I thought I read a review of the Koolance which showed that it had "modest" cooling performance compared to other brands/models. Given the high price of the system ( once all the waterblocks for cpu, gpu, etc... are purchased ) would you be better off buying a kit to use in a conventional case?

( some good kits and prices on Innovatek which does cpu, gpu, and northbridge here (http://store.sharkacorp.com/customer/home.php?cat=4&PHPSESSID=a33956c1b35b5f575e892ca5a55f1ed9) )

There's also a review of this kit at HardOCP here:

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzkz

:D

budd_wm
12-02-02, 07:53 PM
Yeah Pelly, I've pretty much looked at every waterkit available. The reason I chose Koolance - it will be the easiest to config, setup, and maintain. This will be my first watercooled rig, so I don't want to get all hard core with it yet. Maybe with my 2nd watercooled rig I will go into more depth if I like it.

About the HD setup, I've heard that it's not good to mix SCSI and IDE together like that, but I've had a few friends that have done it and haven't had probs, so I think I'll be ok on that (one could only hope). Dunno though. My other option, which cost just as much as the SCSI config, was to get 4 IDE drives at 120GB and put them in a RAID 0+1 config. But I dunno about booting straight off a RAID array.

pelly
12-02-02, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you've got a good handle on what you want to do with this system....I can definitely understand wanting a simple watercooling solution... ( I've always been tempted...but I'm too lazy to try...plus, lotsa $ ) :D

As for the drive setup...let us know how it works out for you...

Good luck man...congrats on the new system ahead of time...

thcdru2k
12-02-02, 10:38 PM
sure you wanted opinions =P

you wanted to brag :D

budd_wm
12-02-02, 10:56 PM
Well, that and I really need some input if anyone wants to give any. I'm about to buy this stuff and want to be sure I have covered all the bases with it. I'll be using my comp for....everything. From recording (like guitar, etc), video editing, watching movies, playing games.

BTW, does anyone know of a program that allows you to hook up an electric guitar to your sound card and have it record via the sound card mixer??

The Baron
12-02-02, 11:01 PM
You can't, budd, afaik. I think you need a guitar interface or something...

thcdru2k
12-02-02, 11:02 PM
look for something called guitar port. i'm not sure it might be what you want but it's worth a shot. it allow you to connect your guitar to the computer but doesn't say it can record. plus its a monthly pay thing.

budd_wm
12-02-02, 11:05 PM
Well, I've heard of a program that allows you to use your comp with your guitar, and whatever you play on your guitar, it will automatically tab it out on the comp. Can't remember where I saw that though.....

thcdru2k
12-02-02, 11:10 PM
i've had a program that would get the notation from my electric keyboard..i think they'res gotta be one for electric guitars

LTech221
12-02-02, 11:24 PM
Budd, u mention the 550's, those are the new megaworks correct? if it is, how do they sound?

The Baron
12-02-02, 11:46 PM
Budd, I think that's a guitar to MIDI interface mixed with Logic or some similar proggie.

budd_wm
12-03-02, 12:02 AM
Well, whatever it is, I'm not able to find anything about it. If anyone runs across something like it please post it here.

LTech, I've got the 550s, but I can't listen to them until I build my comp. I might take them to a friend's house and see how they fair, but I just haven't had the time yet.

The Baron
12-03-02, 12:33 AM
http://www.roland.com/worldwide/products/MI/vguitar_and_guitar_synthesizers/GI-10.html

I'm PRETTY sure that a guy I know uses this model.

However, you still need software. Finale should do what you want beautifully.

ricercar
12-03-02, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by budd_wm
does anyone know of a program that allows you to hook up an electric guitar to your sound card and have it record via the sound card mixer??

My two M Audio cards were bundled with a program that lets one record from the card, called Logic Delta. However, last summer Apple bought Logic's company (Emagic) and discontinued Logic's Windows support in September. I don't know what M Audio bundles now.

PS. While I'm not familiar with the Revolution, I've been using M Audio cards since 1997, and they ROCK!

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 01:09 AM
you should find the software easier by just walking down the aisles of a large software store. i remember like in 1997 i had a program that could record notation and tabs through midi, and even mic connections.

i remember now, it was called music@passport and it was released in 1996 by passport designs. i'm not sure if they are out of business now, but i'm pretty sure they hadn't released any updates to it. i'm sure they're is something much easier / accurate / and advanced out now.

baron's right, get the roland guitar midi interface, or any other guitar midi interface. and use guitar finale. it seems to be the best guitar notation/tab software right now.

budd_wm
12-03-02, 12:30 PM
Cool, I'll definately check it ouit after I finish with the system. So no one else has any suggestions about the system?? Nothing I should add or take off?? If that's the case, then I'll guess I'll start ASAP.

poursoul
12-04-02, 10:26 AM
About your HD setup, I pretty much have the same thing (just speced a little lower):(

The only prob I've had with it is every time I install xp I have to disconnect the IDEs. Most motherboards have the "Boot From SCSI" but it has never worked for me across about 5 motherboards. The setting never Makes the SCSI the primary or 0 Drive.

Harnagel
12-04-02, 11:45 AM
budd,

My roomate played a guitar on my system by simply plugging the guitar into the mic port of my GTXP, and it's easy to record from the mic source. It didn't sound too bad either, (went through a distortion peddle).

-=DVS=-
12-04-02, 12:53 PM
Nice rig , I HAVE SAME CASE :D except its white not black these bastards didn't have black or blue were i bought it :p

Anyways its realy easy to setup and nice cooleing also ;)

budd_wm
12-04-02, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Harnagel
budd,

My roomate played a guitar on my system by simply plugging the guitar into the mic port of my GTXP, and it's easy to record from the mic source. It didn't sound too bad either, (went through a distortion peddle).

What exactly did he use to get everything to work? Did he have to have an adapter so he could plug the guitar into the mic source?? Did he use a MIDI interface??

budd_wm
12-04-02, 01:06 PM
Oh, my other question was with my system. Everything is black on the case except the DVD drive. Anyone know of any covers I could put on it? Do you guys think it will look ok with it being the only white drive? I looked at Lian-Li, but they don't have a black cover for the slot load drive I'm getting....

pelly
12-04-02, 01:23 PM
Newegg sells some colored Lite-ON CDRW and DVD drives.....worth a shot....

Harnagel
12-04-02, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by budd_wm
What exactly did he use to get everything to work? Did he have to have an adapter so he could plug the guitar into the mic source?? Did he use a MIDI interface??

He just plugged the guitar directly into the 1/4" mic jack and my speakers played the output(Put distortion in as needed). With powerful speakers it would be pretty close to an amp (I have Klipsch 5.1).

To record what you play just go to

<Start><Programs><Accessories><Entertainment><Sound Recorder>

Then select <Edit><Audio Properties><Sound Recording><Volume> and check microphone for the source.

Not the fanciest thing in the world, but it'll get the job done.