PDA

View Full Version : God I love AMD

oldsk00l
03-03-05, 03:47 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21550

CHIP FIRM AMD often attempts to pull off a stunt at the time of the Intel Developer Forum.

And this time it took to the sky in a bid to remind Intel that it has a dual core Turion 64 notebook processor on the way.

Four or five planes flying in a line spelt out the words AMD Turion 64 Mobility in the rather nice blue skies above San Francisco.

At the last IDF, AMD kept a stretch limo near the Moscone conference centre, but were told to get lost by a cop packing a gun.

six_storm
03-03-05, 04:06 PM
Yeah, saw this over at GameSpot . . . I wonder who will come out on top when the duallys are unleashed unto the public? *cough*AMD*cough* :)

CaptNKILL
03-03-05, 04:06 PM
:udawg:

I've never heard of big tech companies doing anything like this. This is great... its good to see they have a sense of humor... or maybe they are just insanely ****y :lol:

superklye
03-03-05, 04:22 PM
hahaha...this is great, and it only makes me like AMD more. :)

Riptide
03-03-05, 05:15 PM
AMD is the rox0r. :D

Seriously though let's not underestimate Intel. W/the money they have and the engineers at their disposal... Their next big thing might be a real whopper.

superklye
03-03-05, 05:17 PM

Seriously though let's not underestimate Intel. W/the money they have and the engineers at their disposal... Their next big thing might be a real whopper.
Just like the Prescott was, right? :rolleyes2

COUNT IT!

oldsk00l
03-03-05, 05:24 PM

money is nothing next to talent

Riptide
03-03-05, 06:15 PM
money is nothing next to talent
Intel definitely has a lot of talent at their disposal.

oldsk00l
03-03-05, 06:30 PM
Intel definitely has a lot of talent at their disposal.

They do, but not when it comes to CPU's lately :D

At least, not *enough* talent compared to AMD. hehehe

google the prescott survival kit, look at Willamette, Northwood was the only real killer CPU they released that comes to memory in the last....5 years.

Riptide
03-03-05, 07:19 PM
Yeah I know about the Willy and the mess it was, along w/the heat problems they've had with the Prescotts. The Athlont64 isn't exactly an icehouse either though and does suck nearly as much power. Don't get me wrong, I would agree the Northwood has been the only real good CPU they've come out with lately (unless you wanna count the Pentium M as well). Just don't underestimate them. Their dual core offering might be pretty damn competitive. I hope it isn't, just because I'd like to see them bleed for a while, but it probably will be real good. Call it a gut feeling. :)

oldsk00l
03-03-05, 08:29 PM
Hey, when my Mac mini comes in, I'll be running on a system that draws less power than just the CPU of a gaming PC, rofl.

Hell, the xbox draws 100w, the Mini just draws 85...w00t!!! (Mini has around 2-3x the processing power too)

Lou Ceifer
03-04-05, 10:08 AM
Their dual core offering might be pretty damn competitive. I hope it isn't, just because I'd like to see them bleed for a while, but it probably will be real good. Call it a gut feeling. :)

Highly doubtful there Riptide, AMD has said from the get-go thier chips were designed from the ground up (meaning the K8) for dual core. They seem to have put much more fore-thought into this than Intel has when they were developing the K8, especially when it seems they caught Intel with thier pants down when they demoed thier dual core not too long ago.(while Intel hastily "provided" thier own dual core "solution/demo" to save face afterwards it seems) From all reports and research over the net into dual core solutions from both sides, Intel's version seems to be more a rushed "hack" than anything IMHO. I imagine this could very well come back and bite them in the @$$ even harder than their flub up with Prescott's thermal issues with this scenerio.(do the math, 2 Prescott cores x 103 watt avg. dissipation = too much friggin heat!!!! :eek: ) Much like thier AMD64/EM64T x86-64 for thier chips, as early tests in 64-bit coded software/WinXP-64 have shown very little to no benifit in optimized code for x86-64 on Intel EM64T enabled chips, while comparable AMD 64-bit chips show nice gains, especially also in the realm of 64-bit Linux as well. It might be near an exact Intel copy of the Athlon 64, but it's a poorly made copy at best, in light of AMD's forethoughts and future planning into the design of the K8.

Riptide
03-04-05, 10:11 AM
Time will tell.

And like I said... Athlon64 is not a cool running CPU either. It has what, 90w of heat dissipation? That is still getting up there.

Carbon Unit
03-04-05, 12:10 PM
Looks like the Turion is up in smoke

No Tact
03-04-05, 12:29 PM
That just rocks.

wayne2456
03-04-05, 01:56 PM
Amd is ahahha :thumbdwn: :rw: ,Intel now is the :clap: best

Lou Ceifer
03-04-05, 05:27 PM
Looks like the Turion is up in smoke
Haha, I love it that AMD has a great sense of humor in this situation at the IDF Conference, the Prescott survival kit I saw last year was effin hilarious too. :D :cool: Good to know at least some of the "suits" in the semi-conductor industry still have thier sense of humor and wits.

Time will tell.

And like I said... Athlon64 is not a cool running CPU either. It has what, 90w of heat dissipation? That is still getting up there.

I believe that 90 watts is the maximum thermal dissipation for the entire Athlon 64/FX line to date. The 103 watt thermal dissipation is the average for Prescotts. Yea, I would say quite a bit cooler than most Prescotts right now... Things can change however, it's the nature of the industry, but for now AMD's approach seems to be working out well for them.

Sazar
03-04-05, 05:33 PM
montecito based consumer offerings have SERIOUS drool factor :cool:

intel is hardly out of it since the performance delta is not that massive with their 6xx cores and their pentium m core's kick some serious behind (with new 533 mhz fsb)

I am waiting for amd to build on their current advantage, and have been for a while but nothing new seems to be coming from them, while intel has incrementally closed the gap...

Riptide
03-04-05, 05:40 PM
I am waiting for amd to build on their current advantage, and have been for a while but nothing new seems to be coming from them, while intel has incrementally closed the gap...
Agreed. What improvements is the FX57 supposed to bring to their top end other than just .09 architecture? What clock speed is it supposed to support? If only 2.8GHz - big deal.