PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find out why NF3 & 6800 = pausing

Tr1cK
03-03-05, 09:09 PM
Well ever since I built this thing, I have had to run Fast Writes off to not get pausing in 3d. I test by using 3dMark01, its been the best thing to show me the problem. If it does it, it happens as soon as the first test loads. With FW off, it runs through all the tests fine. With it on, it has like a pause at the beginning of each test. Some people swear that taking the cards PCI latency to 64 fixes it, it just makes it worse, which falls in line with what I was thinking it was going to do. Typically the latency is how long the device CAN hold the bus, not how long before it gets the bus. So theoretically a higher latency should make it better cause the vido card would have priority. Im just tryin to get this thing nailed down, because I know Im losing performance with it off.

No offense but I dont need to hear that it works on NF2s or VIA boards, becuase I dont have one of them. I did have a NF2 and FW worked with this card, and I have also had this card on a VIA KT266A and SIS 735 and both had FW that worked fine.

I have tried ALL the BIOS options I could think of, driver settings, etc. Nothing seems to make it want to stop. I dont think it does it when the card isnt overclocked, but I had the same exact clocks on the other mobos with FW on, so it should work.

keith33
03-03-05, 09:15 PM
I had some freezing/pausing in my nForce 3 Ultra as well, upping the AGP voltage to 1.6v got rid of it for me, and now everything runs silky smooth. I don't know if that is related, but it seemed to work.

Good Luck.

hectorsm
03-03-05, 09:23 PM
I hear you. I have the same exact problem. Only turning off fast writes will fix the pause in 3d games. I tested all sorts of settings in the bios and drivers and even followed the recomendations from an epox Forum Mod(see my post as Rocketman6800).

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57787&sid=7396a5874ba25fe41aeff30ce5d8afa1

At least I have heard the performace loss is very small but hopefully there will be some kind of BIOS or driver fix in the future.

You can find more info in this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

Good luck.

keith33
03-03-05, 09:30 PM
I should mention I got the same crap with Fast Writes on as well. They BETTER have a BIOS fix for this eventually. You'd think that nVidia chipsets and VGA cards would be able to work together properly. :thumbdwn:

hectorsm
03-03-05, 09:32 PM
I had some freezing/pausing in my nForce 3 Ultra as well, upping the AGP voltage to 1.6v got rid of it for me, and now everything runs silky smooth. I don't know if that is related, but it seemed to work.

Good Luck.

That was one of the last things I tried but it did not work for me.

Tr1cK, give keith33 suggestion a try. Just because it did not work for me it does not mean it will not work for you.

good luck!

OWA
03-03-05, 09:36 PM
Well ever since I built this thing, I have had to run Fast Writes off to not get pausing in 3d. I test by using 3dMark01, its been the best thing to show me the problem. If it does it, it happens as soon as the first test loads. With FW off, it runs through all the tests fine. With it on, it has like a pause at the beginning of each test. Some people swear that taking the cards PCI latency to 64 fixes it, it just makes it worse, which falls in line with what I was thinking it was going to do. Typically the latency is how long the device CAN hold the bus, not how long before it gets the bus. So theoretically a higher latency should make it better cause the vido card would have priority. Im just tryin to get this thing nailed down, because I know Im losing performance with it off.

No offense but I dont need to hear that it works on NF2s or VIA boards, becuase I dont have one of them. I did have a NF2 and FW worked with this card, and I have also had this card on a VIA KT266A and SIS 735 and both had FW that worked fine.

I have tried ALL the BIOS options I could think of, driver settings, etc. Nothing seems to make it want to stop. I dont think it does it when the card isnt overclocked, but I had the same exact clocks on the other mobos with FW on, so it should work.
I was just looking for the other thread but was having trouble remembering which one it was. Anyway, I take back my earlier comments. I hit my first problem with FW on tonight. I guess I hadn't tried NBA Live 2005 yet. Once I tried it, I found that I was getting long pauses and some stuttering that was cured once I turned FW back off. Oh well, I guess I'm in the same boat.

Tr1cK
03-03-05, 10:10 PM
To clarify, it only happens with it on. Off works fine, I just want my performance up to where it should be. I have tried all agp voltages on the board btw as well as aperture, sba, latency, nv/ati speed up off or on. I wonder if a different agp chipset driver would work? It does say nforce 3 250 and not ultra, though Im not sure what they changed between the 2 chipsets. I wonder if the issue happens on those 250 chipsets?

Marcos
03-04-05, 07:17 AM
neo2 platnium, 3500+, and 6800gt here
I only have problems with 7x.xx series drivers. Performance is asstastic. Painkiller freezez and pauses, halflife just runs like **** in general... 3d mark 05 freezez during the dragon/blimp video.....

Fastwrite on or off...

I have some 6x.xx drivers in now, everything is kosher.

Tr1cK
03-04-05, 07:34 AM
No matter what video driver I use, it does it.

Acid Rain
03-04-05, 07:42 AM
Just rest assured with FW off. You'll lose about 1 percent of your performance about 1 percent of the time.

FW always has been pretty useless and still is.

saturnotaku
03-04-05, 07:51 AM
Just rest assured with FW off. You'll lose about 1 percent of your performance about 1 percent of the time.

FW always has been pretty useless and still is.

Thing is, some people simply will refuse to recognize that fact. I always left it off on my systems and was never hurting for performance.

|MaguS|
03-04-05, 08:45 AM
I actually fixed mine, I used the latency Tool to lower my latency from 248 to 64, now I can run with it on just fine.

It's not that we refuse, its that were more annoyed that we have to turn off a function that "could" give a performance boost just because nvidia couldn't make good compatiblity in thier own hardware. Yes its 100% Nvidia's fault, its thier chipset and thier GPU. Everything is fine with fastwrites on Via chipsets and ATI does not have this issue.

I don't know why people keep on defending Nvidia on certain issues. Just because you can fix a glitch by doing some hacking or using a trick doesn't make everything "ok". The problem is still there even if you avoided it by doing something that Nvidia doesn't even acknowledge. I would understand if Nvidia made people aware of the issue but they ignore it...

Riptide
03-04-05, 09:02 AM
I've never had to turn fastwrites off. But then I haven't had an Nvidia card since the Ti4600. :)

True that it doesn't do much to help with performance though. Same thing going from agp 4x -> 8x. Very little performance gain there as well.

Tikimotel
03-05-05, 04:56 AM
To fix my problems, I turned of all unused components in my bios.
Firewire (don't use the onboard function)
Serialport (huh? you've got USB)
Parallelport (no printer, so not needed, or get a USB printer)

And some mainboards need very good cooling in order to fix the stuttering...
so it's worth to check the chipsetcooler...( re-apply the thermal paste)

(And now my 6800Ultra is watercooled and the fastwrites issues have gone completely... maybe the fastwrites gets too many crc-failures when the cards run hotter...)

Nexnecis
03-05-05, 06:23 AM
Stange, I have a Aopen Ak89max (NF3-150) + 6800GT and I've had FW on the entire time I've had it. I've had NO strange pause issues in games ( well, except KINDA in EQ2 lately, but it's barely noticable once I tweaked some settings ingame), doesn't matter what driver/Bios/etc I've had.

|MaguS|
03-05-05, 07:15 AM
Stange, I have a Aopen Ak89max (NF3-150) + 6800GT and I've had FW on the entire time I've had it. I've had NO strange pause issues in games ( well, except KINDA in EQ2 lately, but it's barely noticable once I tweaked some settings ingame), doesn't matter what driver/Bios/etc I've had.

Probably has to do with the nForce3 Ultra Chipset.

zoomy942
03-05-05, 11:04 AM
i have FW on and everything seems okay. it's so odd that there is no pattern to this.. i.e. all NF3 or all VIA.

TierMann
03-05-05, 11:43 AM
So is everyone that's not having nf3 + 6800 problems using Ultra and 250?
Maybe we should try to break it down to specifics.

|MaguS|
03-05-05, 12:24 PM
I have an Ultra and a 6800GT and definetly have the problem without hacking around it. My Via K8T800 Chipset board did not have any issues.

Tr1cK
03-05-05, 01:33 PM
Chipset: NF3U
VC: 6800 GT
FW problem: YES!
Can I hack around it: NO!

Ive tried all kinds of bios options, pci latency options, VC bios, drivers, and disable what Im not using all the time, like the serial and parallel ports. Ive been building pcs since my first 286/16 in 1990 til now and have no friggen clue. The only way to make it run ok on my board is to have it off. I know, I know, it may only be 1% performance, but I have some top quality expensive stuff here and it is SUPPOSED to work fine together. For cryin out loud the chipset and gpu are by the same manufacturer.

TierMann
03-05-05, 02:37 PM
Pretty much ignore this one because it's 98/Me but worth a look.
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1180

And maybe this I found at the bottom of http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html

Force IRQ Priority

This is a tweak that falls into the category of imperceptible, but some may find it useful if a hardware device is being a bit of a laggard. This tweak can be applied to multiple IRQs and the best use you could make of it is to try to improve the performance of devices that share an IRQ over non-shared IRQs.

The effect of this change is to improve the performance of devices on the nominated IRQ. It is often used to boost the performance of the System CMOS/real time clock, normally residing on IRQ8.

To change the priority of a different IRQ, replace 8 in IRQ8Priority with the appropriate IRQ number. To change the priority of additional devices, simply add appropriate keys.

Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\PriorityControl]

Create the new entry, save the changes and reboot;

"IRQ8Priority"=dword:0000001

If you are not certain that the System CMOS/real time clock resides on IRQ8 on your system, check it by selecting the properties of System CMOS/real time clock in Device Manager.

I don't know if that's the same thing you're talking about when you're saying it needs priority instead of latency.