PDA

View Full Version : Item in toolbar

fasedww
03-03-05, 10:42 PM
I just built this new computer and after I have all the nforce driver's in after sp2 and installed the Nvidia ide drivers too, I have a green arrow over a picture of a harddrive, I put my mouse pointer over it and it say'safely remove hardware, I click on it safely remove my wdw raptor drive c, Why the hell is this down on the right hand bottom toolbar? how do I get rid of it? :confused:

Clay
03-03-05, 10:43 PM
I just built this new computer and after I have all the nforce driver's in after sp2 and installed the Nvidia ide drivers too, I have a green arrow over a picture of a harddrive, I put my mouse pointer over it and it say'safely remove hardware, I click on it safely remove my wdw raptor drive c, Why the hell is this down on the right hand bottom toolbar? how do I get rid of it? :confused:
That's related to removable media (USB keys, removable HDs, etc).

Clay
03-03-05, 10:47 PM
Sorry, I forgot about the other part of your question. :)

The only way to stop it showing is to right click on the left-edge of the Systray, then go to Customize Notifications and pick "Always Hide" next to the appropriate icon.

keith33
03-03-05, 10:49 PM
Is that a Neo2?
If it is, guess what, it's impossible to remove it!
I guess the mobo manufacturers are preparing SATA as a hot-swappable interface on nForce boards for the future; and all hot-swappable items show up in that icon in windows. I've learned to live with it personally.

Clay
03-03-05, 11:19 PM
Is that a Neo2?
If it is, guess what, it's impossible to remove it!
I guess the mobo manufacturers are preparing SATA as a hot-swappable interface on nForce boards for the future; and all hot-swappable items show up in that icon in windows. I've learned to live with it personally.
*cough*
The only way to stop it showing is to right click on the left-edge of the Systray, then go to Customize Notifications and pick "Always Hide" next to the appropriate icon.:angel:

fasedww
03-03-05, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I forgot about the other part of your question. :)

The only way to stop it showing is to right click on the left-edge of the Systray, then go to Customize Notifications and pick "Always Hide" next to the appropriate icon.Thanks alot' I did it, It was bugging me as I don't want to even remove my raptor hardrive, kinda stupid. :)

jAkUp
03-03-05, 11:45 PM
Yea, you can hide it, but it shows that lame arrow next to it :( I was forced to live with it also on my A8N-SLI

Clay
03-04-05, 12:39 AM
Yea, you can hide it, but it shows that lame arrow next to it :( I was forced to live with it also on my A8N-SLIJust run this (see attachment). I knew I still had it around somewhere. :)

NOTE: This is a VBS file (Visual Basic Scripting) so I renamed the extension to TXT for attaching. Just download it, rename extension to VBS, double click on it and the arrow will be vanquished. :D

You can double click on the file again and it will re-enable the arrow and systray icons.

Below are the file contents:
'Enable or Disable Notification Area Icons

Message = "To work correctly, the script will close" & vbCR
Message = Message & "and restart the Windows Explorer shell." & vbCR
Message = Message & "This will not harm your system." & vbCR & vbCR
Message = Message & "Continue?"

X = MsgBox(Message, vbYesNo, "Notice")

If X = 6 Then

On Error Resume Next

Dim WSHShell, n, MyBox, p, t, errnum, vers
Dim itemtype
Dim enab, disab, jobfunc

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
p = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer\NoTrayItemsDisplay"

itemtype = "REG_DWORD"

enab = "ENABLED"
disab = "DISABLED"
jobfunc = "Notification Icons are now "

t = "Confirmation"
Err.Clear
n = WSHShell.RegRead (p)
errnum = Err.Number

if errnum <> 0 then

WSHShell.RegWrite p, 0, itemtype
End If

If n = 0 Then
n = 1
WSHShell.RegWrite p, n, itemtype
Mybox = MsgBox(jobfunc & disab & vbCR, 4096, t)
ElseIf n = 1 then
n = 0
WSHShell.RegWrite p, n, itemtype
Mybox = MsgBox(jobfunc & enab & vbCR, 4096, t)
End If

Set WshShell = Nothing

On Error GoTo 0

For Each Process in GetObject("winmgmts:"). _
ExecQuery ("select * from Win32_Process where name='explorer.exe'")
Process.terminate(0)
Next

MsgBox "Finished." & vbcr & vbcr , 4096, "Done"

Else

MsgBox "No changes were made to your system." & vbcr & vbcr, 4096, "User Cancelled"

End If

jAkUp
03-04-05, 12:49 AM
OMFG That actually kinda worked!!! Is it supposed to remove all the tray icons though? It seemed to remove my dads Nortan 2005...

Clay
03-04-05, 01:05 AM
OMFG That actually kinda worked!!! Is it supposed to remove all the tray icons though? It seemed to remove my dads Nortan 2005...
Yeah, I think it's an all or nothing approach. There's probably a way to permit certain items to display while still hiding the arrow...I'll mess around with it.