PDA

View Full Version : A8N-SLI weird Standby issue

ronin17
03-03-05, 10:17 PM
I had some trouble with getting SLI to enable a couple weeks ago and in the process of fixing this issue I installed the 1004.1 beta BIOS through Asus update (windows software). I knew that was the worst way to update the BIOS but I was fustrated and didn't care.

After getting SLI finally working again I ran into a strange problem, I could run any game perfectly until I left the computer and it went into standby mode, after waking up the computer I would get a Thread_stuck_in_device_driver error and have to reboot. I went ahead and installed the 1004 Final BIOS which said it had a fix for the S3 SLI failure which sounded like my problem, but it still does it.

I have tried both S1 and S3 standby modes and both crash my computer after standby.

Any idea's what I could do? I flashed my BIOS (from bootable disk) with AWDFLASH to 1004, 1005.3 Beta, and back to 1003 final without any success. I am wondering if I need to flash the BIOS with a different command to maybe overwrite something it did when updating the BIOS through windows.

Thanks for any suggestions!

jAkUp
03-03-05, 10:19 PM
my buddy told me a way to flash the bios so it completely overwrites everything (the normal flash leaves a few areas unflashed) I'm gonna try to see if I can dig up the switch for you...

jAkUp
03-03-05, 10:23 PM
I think this is the way to do it..

Try this... make a bootable CD with file on it.... name the file

boot to the cd and type: awfl833d /cd (bios filename)

Also, which drivers are you using for the video? How about mobo drivers? Try grabbing the latest off of www.nvidia.com (nforce4 standalone driver)

ronin17
03-03-05, 10:25 PM
quick question, can this be done with a bootable floppy?

also, awfl833d, did you mean awdflash?

Thanks!

edit:
using the lastest Nforce4 drivers off nvidia.com and using ExtremeG 67.66a's for video.

Forget to mention this problems happens with all drivers, 71.81, 75.90, 71.84, 66.93, etc...

jAkUp
03-03-05, 10:43 PM
im pretty sure its awfl833d... i thought it was awdflash... try the awfl833d first though. I did it with a cd since thats how my bud told me how to do it. And it overwrited the portion that it did not overwrite when i did it the normal way.

ronin17
03-03-05, 11:02 PM
The /cd command worked, this was with a command line from a bootable floppy: awdflash /cd 1003.bin

The only bad thing is I am still crashing after standby, it's so weird, I can play as long as I want without a hitch, but as soon as the computer goes into standby and then wakes up again, any game crashes it with a dialoge box saying that nv_disp.dll has stopped working.

I always completely uninstall my video card drivers and then use driver cleaner pro, so I don't think this is a video card driver issue. But then again I am stumped. I am going to flash to 1004 final and see what happens.

Fingers are crossed.

ronin17
03-03-05, 11:48 PM
1004 final didn't change anything, still crashing after coming out of standby. I swear my computer is out to get me.

I am going to reset the BIOS to default settings, maybe I changed something and it's affecting all of this.

Can't think of anything else to update/change. I only installed the Nforce4 standalone drivers, nothing off of the Asus CD, that ok right?

Weird stuff....

ronin17
03-06-05, 12:35 AM
Can someone with a A8N-SLI do me a favor and go into the Control Panel>> System>> Hardware>> Device Manager>> System Devices>> and see if there is a Advanced Power Management Support entry.

For some reason I don't have this and it might be the reason I am having so much trouble with standby.

Thanks!

PSYCHODAD
03-06-05, 03:25 AM
Can someone with a A8N-SLI do me a favor and go into the Control Panel>> System>> Hardware>> Device Manager>> System Devices>> and see if there is a Advanced Power Management Support entry.

For some reason I don't have this and it might be the reason I am having so much trouble with standby.

Thanks!
Does this help?

PSYCHODAD
03-06-05, 03:28 AM
Is it possible this is a psu problem?

ronin17
03-06-05, 09:13 AM
It might be, but everything is perfectly normal before the computer goes into "standby". Definitely not going to rule out the PSU, or the MB.

Thanks for the screenshot, Maybe I'll try and make sure my second video card is on the other 12v rail and not on the one my first is on.

I'll update the thread if I fix this.

ronin17
04-25-05, 08:58 PM
Bringing this back up from the dead. I finally stumbled upon a fix to my issue of my computer freezing after coming back from "standby" (I say "standby" because I actually don't have an option to standby in windows).

After installing the 1006 final bios, i didn't notice any change, I was still having freezing problems. Then I tried disabling standby for my monitor and all of a sudden everything is fixed!

Something in the 1006 bios must have changed because I have tried this method with every other bios and this is the first time it has worked.

I'm glad I can finally play games without having to restart the computer, and it only took 2 months to fix. hurray!