PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for me to upgrade?


Creole
12-02-02, 08:35 PM
I currently have an Athlon XP 1600 with a Shuttle AK3 motherboard. I was thinking about getting a P4 2.4 but don't know what type of motherboard? So my question is should I upgrade and if so suggest a decent low-priced motherboard. It's either this or a LCD Monitor, I have a 19" KDS Trinitron now.

pelly
12-02-02, 08:44 PM
You certainly could go with a good P4/mobo combo....great performance...

However, you should also consider going with a new Athlon XP and an nForce2.

The "best" option is really hard to tell without hearing your full system specs. Sometimes, there is a bottleneck elsewhere in the system which can be replaced for much less money...

Having an overclocking-friendly CPU, mobo, and RAM can save you hundreds in the long-run.....always a good option to consider...

:D

Creole
12-02-02, 09:09 PM
ok I also have a Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4200, 40 gig WD drive, Sound Blaster Live 5.1. and TDK 24x10x40x. By the way, I have always had amd systems.

The Baron
12-02-02, 09:19 PM
why?

Your system is perfectly adequate right now... wait for cheap hyperthreading or Hammer...

pelly
12-02-02, 10:04 PM
He's got a good point....Your system will certainly get you by until Feb/March when the Athlon 64 hits the market. At that time, you'll see cheaper prices across the boards for both Intel and "regular" Athlon XP cpu's.....Here, you can then pick and choose the cpu you like best and pruchase the appropraite platform mobo...

Don't foget, GeForce FX will be on the market as well.... :D

Grechie
12-02-02, 10:15 PM
my athlonxp 1600 has more then enough power for me and i play all the new games too

thcdru2k
12-02-02, 10:41 PM
same here

StealthHawk
12-02-02, 11:51 PM
i thought Athlon 64's were slated for the middle of next year?

othwise yeah, your system is fine, i would wait until either AMD or Intel increase FSB speed again before upgrading.

DaveW
12-08-02, 04:28 PM
I think your XP 1600 should be good for a while. Upgrading would just make your graphics card a bottleneck.

|JuiceZ|
12-08-02, 04:34 PM
yea depending upon yer cpu stepping, why not grab some faster ram and o'c 'er? Several ppl on this board in particular have 1600+ that have produced good results coupled w/ the right ram modules.

Creole
12-08-02, 08:27 PM
I have 512 PC2100

saturnotaku
12-08-02, 08:54 PM
What brand and CAS latency is your RAM? If it's Corsair, then by all means try to overclock your system. If it's generic, then I'd advise against overclocking. :)

|JuiceZ|
12-09-02, 09:48 AM
...or pick up a stick of Cosair XMS and get this party started :D

Creole
12-09-02, 07:19 PM
I have crucial and the latecy is 2.5

fishlung
12-09-02, 07:58 PM
I have a XP1800, a KT266a motherboard and a GF4 TI4400; I plan to keep this configuration for at least another year. However if a nice new GFFX somehow makes itself cheaply available, that's probably the only thing I'd be upgrading before next winter. You could fork out some money on a faster CPU, perhaps. But obviously if I were you, I would just try to be patient for now, and get your money's worth out of what you already have. It should be fine for a while yet. :)