PDA

View Full Version : How To: Unlock Athlon XP 3000+ ?

Viffer5
03-04-05, 11:51 AM
Hello all. I recently purchased an Athlon XP 3000+ to replace my sweet XP 2400+ that went up in smoke as my power supply blew-up.

I am having problems unlocking my 200MHz FSB Barton 3000+ and would like some help.

I have done the wire tap mod as described on the following URL:

http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/CPUs/AthlonXP_3000+Oclk_Feb03.shtml

I can change multiplier settings in the bios on my Asus A7V600-X up to 13.5x but the system still only reports the stock 10.5x multiplier.

I am currently running a 220MHz FSB and all seems stable with 1.80v core. I want to bump the multiplier to 12x or slightly more to get more oomph out of this puppie. Please advise.

$n][pErMan
03-04-05, 11:56 AM
Odd that you can lower your Mult but not raise it. My 2800 is locked and I cant go up or down on the Mult... I can only OC via FSB for now. See my thread I just started called "Speed Strip" to answer your question. :)

Viffer5
03-04-05, 12:04 PM
[pErMan']Odd that you can lower your Mult but not raise it. My 2800 is locked and I cant go up or down on the Mult... I can only OC via FSB for now. See my thread I just started called "Speed Strip" to answer your question. :)

Thanks for the quick reaply. Maybe I wasn't clear about the clock mult. I have the 200MHz FSB version of the XP 3000+. I'm stuck with the factory clock mult. of 10.5 X 200 = 2100MHz. This is different from the 166MHz FSB version of the chip 13x(not sure if it's 12.5) 166 = 2100MHz.

I currently have the FSB clocked to 220 with no issues so I'm running @ 2310MHz, but I want to push that more to 12x220 = 2640 or even as high as 13.5x220 = 2970MHz with water cooling. I'm currently air cooled and running Prime95 for 6+ hours, I have no errors and a core temp of 52C.

What do I have to bridge on this chip to unlock it? I haven't checked out your Speed Strip thread but I will be sure to review it. Thanks.

$n][pErMan
03-04-05, 12:09 PM
What do I have to bridge on this chip to unlock it? I haven't checked out your Speed Strip thread but I will be sure to review it. Thanks.
Definetly follow the link in the thread ... and then a link in the middle of that product article to read more about it. Also... there are several sites you can google that can tell you how to bridge things to unlock the chip. But as the one site pointed out... most newer chips cant be unlocked via any mod as they are hard wired in the chip and old tricks may not work. All depends on the age of your chip on whether or not "Speed Strip" will or will not work. Which is why im asking people on if they have used it before :p

Viffer5
03-04-05, 12:20 PM
I think the speedstrip basically does exactly what I have done with my chip. It indicates in the speed strip add that it will work with certain processor rage/models only. I suspect that I have a newer factory locked processor and hence, the mod does not work. I haven't used my MM to check for continuity between the pins I bridged (I was dead tired and anxious to test!) but I will test once I get home and verify. While I'm at it, I'll check the series no. to verify if this chip can be unlocked.

If I'm stuck, what options do I have to push the FSB a bit more to squeeze a bit more out of it? I understand that 220 is pretty high already!?! My 6600GT is oc'd as well but that's another story.

BTW, my 3Dmark2005 score is 3488, and aquamark is 48500. Am I asking for too much here or should I count my blessings and call it a night?

saturnotaku
03-04-05, 12:53 PM
If I'm stuck, what options do I have to push the FSB a bit more to squeeze a bit more out of it? I understand that 220 is pretty high already!?! My 6600GT is oc'd as well but that's another story.

With a locked chip, that's all you can do. The only way to get more out of the FSB is to increase the CPU voltage. Obviously you need to make sure you have adequate cooling if you go this route.

Viffer5
03-07-05, 09:53 AM
Wierd thing, when I push the bus past 220MHz, it just reverts to 200 actual according to CPUID. I am using an Asus A7V600-X system board and I can push the bus more but the system just reverts to 200 at anything past 220.

In addition, the Bios will allow me to push the Clock + FSB beyond 10.5x200 (stock) but CPUID will always revert back to stock settings and Benchmarks reflect stock settings.

The system runs fine running Prime95 for 6+ hours running 10.5x220MHz and overheating is not an issue. Currently air cooled, after 6hrs, CPU doesn't get hotter than 49C with 100% CPU load. I've even fan cooled the Northbridge but something's up with the FSB not going past 220.

I would like to push 225 if I could but nothing doing right now. Any tips?

john19055
03-10-05, 09:08 PM
When they are hard locked they is not nothing they will unlock them the only thing you can do is raise the FSB,My XP2800 was like that and no wire trick or speed strip would work,The best thing to get when you want a XP chip that will overclock great and have all the multiplers unlock is to Buy a Moblie Barton 2500 or a 2600 and they work great,My Moblie Barton 2600 that I had would run 12.5x 200FSB, 2.5gigs all day long ,IMO the moblie chips are the best to get when you want to overclock like mad and they don't cost that much.I still have it running in my kids computer at 2.5gig.

superklye
03-10-05, 09:14 PM
I don't think the 166MHz version runs at 2.1GHz.

I believe it's like 2.166 or something like that...I could be wrong though.

Viffer5
03-11-05, 01:48 PM
I believe the 166 version of the chip is 13x166= 2158

I'm starting to wish that I got one of those because my memory runs quite happily @ 2.5,3,3,7 @ 220MHz even though it's only rated at CL3

No errors with memtest.

Anyone know of any additional BIOS settings on the A7V600-X other than the standard visible settings? I know some boards give access to additional features when pressing F1 or something while IN the bios.

I'd like to push my FSB higher but anything beyond 220MHz is just reported as 200 by CPUID. Any ideas as to why it's doing this?

Also it is currently not as stable as I would like it to be. I have tried with no overclock and 9/10 times it will freeze when running a full system NAV scan. The temps are below 49C and I have an Antec Smart Power 400W PSU and 1 HDD, + 2 optical drives and a 6600GT video card.

I'd like to push the FSB to 225 or 230 but OS doesn't reflect BIOS settings and the benchmarks reflect stock clock settings.

Any advice (Besides getting a new system board/chip!)