PDA

View Full Version : 3dfx fanboy to NVIDIA fanboy

Pages : [1] 2 3

AngelGraves13
08-06-02, 12:43 PM
Howdy, I'm new here. I used to be a 3dfx fanboy back when they were pumping out 3d cards like there was no tomorrow. Well, when Nvidia made the switch to 32 bit color and 3dfx decided it wasn't important yet (morons) they lost big time. I kept my 3dfx card for about 2 years I guess after that and just recently decided to go to ATI. I tried 3 ATI cards and they were horrible, and not just on my computer. So I gave them away....then I got a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 from MSI, but I didn't have an AGP pro port, so I got a MSI Xtasy Geforce 2 400 MX. ANd well, I have to say that after using Nvidia, you never go back. Oh and I've used the Geforce 4 on my new rig which is still being built, but I'm gonna sell it off and wait on the NV30. The NV30 is making the move to .13 and ATI is still on .15. It's gonna be like the 3dfx death for ATI. Nvidia should just buy them out and take whatever technology they have and actually put it to use, becuase we know nobody else will. Well...call me an nvidiot all you want...before then a dead 3dfx fanboy and not to mention soon to be dead ATI fanboy! hahahaha. Ok, I'll stop now!

netape
08-06-02, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Cat Called Domi
call me an nvidiot all you want...

Why would we wanna call you nvidiot? :rolleyes: :D

AngelGraves13
08-06-02, 12:51 PM
man.......my name is supposed to be Cat Called Domino, and it says Cat Called Domi. Any help?......Domi sounds kinda gay! lol

saturnotaku
08-06-02, 01:07 PM
Domi sounds kinda gay! lol

If 'ya like hockey you could be named after Ty Domi :D

Like yourself I'm a former 3dfx user before I made the switch to nVidia well over a year ago and have been hooked ever since. All I have to ask is: what took you so long to make the switch? :p

AngelGraves13
08-06-02, 01:10 PM
I would prefer Domino Cat if Cat Called Domino is too long. Thanks.

Spectral
08-06-02, 01:46 PM
3dfx.. bah! I have only ever owned 1 3dfx card, and I was never impressed.

I turned into an Nvidiot when the Diamond Viper Riva 128 was released... Never turned back. Although, with all the rave reviews the 8500 was getting when it was released, I bought one of those, and took it back within 24 hours because of stability issues, and Image quality problems.

Damn am I ever looking forward to the nV30.

ATI LoVeR 9700
08-06-02, 02:00 PM
I want to flame this guy, but I'm not.

ATi is not going the way of 3dFX! Geez... It takes a long time to bring down a company like ATi. Not just one product!

Your post was mostly pure garbage, as ATi will have a card out 4 months before the NV30, and make huge sales. Not too mention, the R350 coming out soon after the NV30. Unless you've used a Radeon 8500 within the last 6 months, don't talk trash a bout ATi!

mcortz_2000
08-06-02, 02:07 PM
Go somewhere else ATI LoVeR 9700. U always look for trouble. U need to grow up. no reply needed by u.
This is a statement not a discussion.

ATI LoVeR 9700
08-06-02, 02:10 PM
My post REALLY had trouble in it... :rolleyes:

Bashing ATi senselessly is garbage. I mean, come on! You nVidiots need to admit it! ATi is good! I've said nVidia is good, but most you guy refuse to say ONE good thing about ATi!

mcortz_2000
08-06-02, 02:23 PM
Actually that is not true. I have owned an 8500 - 64MB retail and i was very impressed with its overall performance. Its IQ in win2000 was fantastic but the only issue i really had with it were the drivers(have improved over time). The drivers have affected many peoples opinions and this is going to have to be corrected with their next tier of cards. If this is not done well that will surely kick another stick in the spokes. (excuse possible errors in spelling)

AngelGraves13
08-06-02, 02:28 PM
hello.....the new ATI card has been delayed! Where have you been? Oh yeah, flame me if you want....."goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!"

Spectral
08-06-02, 02:30 PM
Nvidia = McLaren F1
ATI = Pinto

Hehe.. all kidding aside... I would buy a 9700 if it was out many months before the NV30. The NV30 is gonna destroy the 9700 though, AND Nvidia has a die shrink jump ahead of ATI.

If ATI had a better product, most of us would own it. Same goes for people who talk trash about Windows.. If there was a better OS out there, people would be using it. As it stands, for user friendliness, and support... Microsoft is pretty much the only option.

Kinda like Nvidia is the only option for the top performance. An 8500 simply cannot, and will not ever be able to compare to a Ti4600. Who knows if the same will be able to be said about 9700 vs NV30. But, I know where Im putting my money :)

AngelGraves13
08-06-02, 02:32 PM
by god, this boy has it. that's what I'm talkin' about!!!

ATI LoVeR 9700
08-06-02, 04:13 PM
Mac OS is better than Windows!!!

And the 9700 has not been delayed! It will be on Best Buy shelves on September 15th! :rolleyes: Geez...

Bigus Dickus
08-06-02, 04:22 PM
hello.....the new ATI card has been delayed! Where have you been? Oh yeah, flame me if you want....."goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!"
There are no indications that the 9700 has been delayed. Show me the proof. It may be, but no one knows. We'll have to wait and see if ATi actually ships by ~Aug. 16. (Ships, not on shelves).

Bigus Dickus
08-06-02, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Spectral
An 8500 simply cannot, and will not ever be able to compare to a Ti4600. Who knows if the same will be able to be said about 9700 vs NV30. But, I know where Im putting my money :) A Ti4600 simply cannot, and will not ever be able to compare to a 9700. Who knows if the same will be able to be said about NV30 vs R350. But, I know where Im putting my money :)

You see how easy that is? One comes out six months ahead of the other, which is out 4 months ahead of the next one, which is out....

And so goes progress.

SavagePaladin
08-06-02, 05:10 PM
give it up
'My card is superior becuase I personally had no problems with it and you're an idiot because you did'

hence, the ever present question...
WHAT'S WITH YOU PEOPLE

I've owned NVidia since the Riva TNT (well, my dad bought me a voodoo3 with my last machine, but I didn't actually want that)
and I've had no problems at all.
Which doesn't particularly leave me wanting to switch to an unknown.
I guess I must be an idiot.

CainSyris
08-06-02, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
A Ti4600 simply cannot, and will not ever be able to compare to a 9700. Who knows if the same will be able to be said about NV30 vs R350. But, I know where Im putting my money :)

You see how easy that is? One comes out six months ahead of the other, which is out 4 months ahead of the next one, which is out....

And so goes progress.

You say you believe ATI when they say the card will be "shipping" on the 16th, but you disbelieve nV's claims that it will be out sooner than "4 months" after ATI.

That's called bias. ;) Believe both or believe neither. Believe one and not the other and show your bias.

I believe nV will come in November and ATI will be out in September. That is two months, a far cry from that four months. However, I might be wrong. I can't say for certain. Just feelings. I suspect nv30 will be announced in September when ATI begins releasing "real" numbers rather than percentages at highest resolutions. ;)

nv30 is not going to be competing with R350 any more than the Ti500 was competing iwth the R8500 128 meg refresh. nv30 will be competing against the R300, I'll wager. And the R350 will be in second half, 2003, which is a rather large period of time and more likely ATI will be coming at the end of that given they have to make the transition to .13 process. Whereas nV will be done iwth that and moving onto faster RAM, faster clocks with improvements to the yields. ;)

So which is more likely to be released first then? Perhaps the one who will have most of the hard work behind them, I'd wager.

Bigus Dickus
08-06-02, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by CainSyris
You say you believe ATI when they say the card will be "shipping" on the 16th, but you disbelieve nV's claims that it will be out sooner than "4 months" after ATI.

That's called bias. ;) Believe both or believe neither. Believe one and not the other and show your bias.I believe whatever there appears to be more evidence to support. That is unbiased.

All indications are that ATI will meet their claimed ship date (they just recently reaffirmed this) of the third week of August. My guess is that boards will be available early to mid September.

The NV30 situation is more clouded to be sure, but the majority of the evidence points out to the design not being completed (whether that includes respins is another argument). At best we could see NV30 boards mid November (that's assuming that the final respin is completed immediately, and that NV manages to make a 100 day ramp on a new process that TSMC is having severe problems with). More realistic estimates put it late November or December. That's 3+ months, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and giving TSMC the benefit of the doubt as well.

That's what the evidence most strongly supports, and that is unbiased.
I believe... However, I might be wrong. I can't say for certain. Just feelings. I suspect...Precisely. Your view is based on your own personal wishes. And you're lecturing me about bias? :rolleyes:
nv30 is not going to be competing with R350 any more than the Ti500 was competing iwth the R8500 128 meg refresh. nv30 will be competing against the R300, I'll wager.The 8500 competed with the GF3, and then with the GF4. The R300 will compete with the GF4, then with the NV30 (or NV28, whichever one shows up first). The NV30 will compete with the R300, then with the R350. The R350 will compete with the NV30, then with the NV35.

That's the nature of the game. Whatever two products are on the market at the same time will compete (if they are targeted at the same segment, or if they are the best a manufacturer has to offer).

ATI is ramping production on the R300, will be releasing it in about a month (for sale), and have a good jump on the R350. There's no reason to doubt that they can't bring it to market late H2 2003. OTOH, the NV30 isn't finished with design yet, and there are hints that some late redesign may have been done. It has taken NVIDIA roughly a year as of late to get a true refresh of a part out (something other than increased clockspeed), so it is unlikely that anything substantially better than the NV30 (NV35) will be here until late next year (there may be a NV30-Ti type of card late next spring).

This is what the evidence supports. Bias? Pfft.

SavagePaladin
08-06-02, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
I believe whatever there appears to be more evidence to support. [b]That is unbiased.

All indications are that ATI will meet their claimed ship date (they just recently reaffirmed this) of the third week of August. My guess is that boards will be available early to mid September.

The NV30 situation is more clouded to be sure, but the majority of the evidence points out to the design not being completed (whether that includes respins is another argument). At best we could see NV30 boards mid November (that's assuming that the final respin is completed immediately, and that NV manages to make a 100 day ramp on a new process that TSMC is having severe problems with). More realistic estimates put it late November or December. That's 3+ months, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and giving TSMC the benefit of the doubt as well.

That's what the evidence most strongly supports, and that is unbiased.
Precisely. Your view is based on your own personal wishes. And you're lecturing me about bias? :rolleyes:
[b]The 8500 competed with the GF3, and then with the GF4. The R300 will compete with the GF4, then with the NV30 (or NV28, whichever one shows up first). The NV30 will compete with the R300, then with the R350. The R350 will compete with the NV30, then with the NV35.

That's the nature of the game. Whatever two products are on the market at the same time will compete (if they are targeted at the same segment, or if they are the best a manufacturer has to offer).

ATI is ramping production on the R300, will be releasing it in about a month (for sale), and have a good jump on the R350. There's no reason to doubt that they can't bring it to market late H2 2003. OTOH, the NV30 isn't finished with design yet, and there are hints that some late redesign may have been done. It has taken NVIDIA roughly a year as of late to get a true refresh of a part out (something other than increased clockspeed), so it is unlikely that anything substantially better than the NV30 (NV35) will be here until late next year (there may be a NV30-Ti type of card late next spring).

This is what the evidence supports. Bias? Pfft.
I'm accusing you of bias too. You're stating all this as fact.
Heres a fact: You have no idea if TSMC is still having those problems. You have no idea if NVidia is planning on staying with TSMC. (I have read rumors. I'm sure some of you have too.) You have no idea how close to finished NV30 is (How is 100 days by the end of the YEAR so hard to make? I mean, count it. We've got almost 150!)
You're accusing everyone else as biased yet stating everything you say as if its promised by God which makes you FAR more biased than we are.

Excuse the italics and crap, I felt the need to dramatize...just as he was doing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I hope I can find sane people to talk to.
___
and yes, I realize the post was slightly off in the quote, let me know if any actual text was screwed up

Nephilim
08-07-02, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin

I'm accusing you of bias too. You're stating all this as fact.
Heres a fact: You have no idea if TSMC is still having those problems. You have no idea if NVidia is planning on staying with TSMC. (I have read rumors. I'm sure some of you have too.) You have no idea how close to finished NV30 is (How is 100 days by the end of the YEAR so hard to make? I mean, count it. We've got almost 150!)
You're accusing everyone else as biased yet stating everything you say as if its promised by God which makes you FAR more biased than we are.

Yes, 100 days should be plenty of time for nvidia. They have a history of about 9 months from concept to tape and then about 100 days from tape-out to production ramp for most of their cards.

Kruno
08-07-02, 02:03 AM
from my 486 days these are the cards I had in order (I will not name the system specs other than video card):

Some crappy 512kb (I think) card on my 486 back in 1994.
S3 Virge DX/GX when they came out.
Diamond Viper (TNT chipset (first of the TNT line))
Voodoo 3 agp 3000
Geforce 3

Next chipset I am strongly looking forward to: R300/R350 (I will diss the Nv30 unless it adds something I like in current games)

Cotita
08-07-02, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim

Yes, 100 days should be plenty of time for nvidia. They have a history of about 9 months from concept to tape and then about 100 days from tape-out to production ramp for most of their cards.

The NV30 may have more than a year in developement. As far as I know nVidia was working on the nv30 and nv25 almost at the same time. Even if nvidia started with the nv30 after the geforce4 was finished, it still has at least 11 months under devlopement.

I don't know where does that 100day from tape to production come from. That may only apply to the geforce4, I understand that it has the shortest developement time of any graphics card.

Since the introduction of the geforce256, nVidia has been the uncontested champion, Voodoo 5, Rage Fury Maxx, Radeon, Radeon 8500,G400, Savage2000, Kyro, Kyro2 and Parhelia all of them failed to beat nvidia.

But now ATI brings a geforce4 killer, I gotta say I never expected an ATI card with such good performance, at most I expected it to be maybe as fast as the ti4600 with DX9 support, ATI has learned from past mistakes and finally bring a very capable card.

They may keep the performance crown for only a couple of months, but now they know they can beat nVidia.

SavagePaladin
08-07-02, 06:22 AM
The front page a while back.
'Now, while this may be taken many ways, we talked with NVIDIA and they again reiterated that they will make their Fall release. Also there is something we have to remember, NVIDIA has historically went 90 - 100 days from tape out to product release with all their cards so they could very well meet their expected release date.'
Which apparently came from HardOCP before that.

|JuiceZ|
08-07-02, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Spectral
I turned into an Nvidiot when the Diamond Viper Riva 128 was released... Never turned back.

Same here Spectal, I've been a faithful nVidiot since I bought my Riva 128 from an underestimated lil' company called nvidia. I nvr thought Forsaken could look so good :cool: