PDA

View Full Version : nForce2 Speakers?

Pages : [1] 2

pelly
12-02-02, 11:11 PM
Just curious.....is anyone running an nForce2 with SoundStorm audio ( Dolby-Digital )?

If so, what speakers are you using to take advantage of the digital signal?

:confused:

volt
12-02-02, 11:44 PM
SoundStorm with external bay ?

pelly
12-03-02, 12:30 AM
Anyone connecting to digital speakers ( ie: Logitech Z-680 ) using 24-bit S/PDIF Out on the motherboard?

:D

zoolap
12-03-02, 09:55 AM
I use an av amp when i can (sony str-db940). This may be cumbersome, but it may be worth looking at some hi-fi stores as there are some decent dolby digital/dts surround receivers available cheaply these days. Get some good budget speakers and you've also got something nice for dvd.

CyberMacGyver
12-03-02, 10:01 AM
I am somewhat disapointed with the SoundStorm system so far... even though I followed the instructions to the T, I cannot get audio on all 5 speakers. With Dolby enabled, I get all channels routed to the 2 front speakers, and with it disabled, the center speaker does not work.

BTW, these are ANALOG speakers... could not get the digital variety :-(
Damn.

PenguinJim
12-03-02, 03:01 PM
Hey CyberMacGuyver, if you get this problem fixed could you let us all know please? :cool:

I have same problem with A7N8X Deluxe and Creative DTT2200s.

Sound works great, except Centre Speaker stuff seems limited to the sub :(

SavagePaladin
12-07-02, 09:36 AM
I use yamaha tss1s on my nforce

I can't say they're the best, but they were cheap and are pretty decent still.

Red Dog
01-29-03, 09:07 PM
im using a digital coax "monster" cable to connect my A7N8X's onboard spdif and my brand schpankin' new Z-680's. (WOOOT)

wow, these speakers are awesome! the sub will break s&#t around your room and rattle things off your desk when cranked!

(sound is subjective, but)

compared to the analog 5.1, the digital output most deffinately has better sound quality. the individual channels are extremely clear and seem more individualy defined. the sub and center channels benefit substantialy.

5.1 audio tracks sound awesome in wmp9.

I will never go back to analog.

this is an interesting one page article on the soundstorms digital in use. http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=134416

Red Dog
01-29-03, 09:36 PM
couple more things to add,

most "normal" rca jack av cables lack the required bandwidth for the digital connection.

a "digital coax" cable is required. I tried both and I can hear the diff, your mileage may vary. I bought an 8ft cable because I assumed it plugged into the sub like my old 5.1's. I was wrong, you prob only need a less expensive 4ft cord because it plugs in to the 680'scontrol pod instead.

I hear absolutey NO hiss at any volume level (in a quiet room), a problem which was reported by some z680 users and supposedly fixed in a later revision of the 680 control pod. (rf shielding issue)

the digital decoder on the z680 will automaticaly set the correct dolby effect mode.

something else I forgot......

oh yeah, the z680's seemed to be tight out of the box. after several hours of break in they seemed to become both louder and more responive.

SnakeEyes
01-30-03, 08:07 AM
Well, I'm not quite using the nForce2 with my speakers yet. But that's only because I haven't bought my motherboard yet. When I do I'll be using it with my Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 speakers. Based on present experience with these speakers using my Optical input from a Hercules Game Theater XP and watching a DVD, I fully expect the nForce2 to be spectacular. :)

nin_fragile14
01-30-03, 08:30 AM
My brother is using an optical digital cable from his Abit nforce 2 to his Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver. He's running Klipsch RF-5s off it, and they sound great.

Nephilim
01-30-03, 07:37 PM
It has been my experience that using any cambridge soundworks speakers OLDER than the DTT3500 you will HAVE to set the speakers to 4 point surround in windows (control panel-->sounds and audio devices-->advanced button under the speaker settings) for the center channel to work.

This is a problem with the creative speakers.

SnakeEyes
01-30-03, 07:56 PM
Yep. That is absolutely true, but I don't like constantly switching out the speaker settings. nForce gets around this problem nicely. Not to mention that the ability to have 6 discrete channels (as encoded by the nForce/nForce2) beats the heck out of simulated 6 channels from 4. :)

Nephilim
01-30-03, 09:45 PM
Hee...I'm actually about to take the Audigy out of my system to use the Soundstorm chip on my A7N8X Deluxe. The only thing I don't like about the onboard chip is the lack of audio inputs for recording things. Other than that, it seems like its a really solid audio solution.

SnakeEyes
01-30-03, 10:28 PM
Good point. There was a time when the lack of audio inputs would've bothered me, but if it has a mic input, I'll probably get the add-on card (with the optical digital inputs / outputs, mainly for the 'optical' part :)). I haven't really had any external sound fed into my system other than my microphone (in game comms programs, like game voice, roger wilco, etc.) for a looooong time now, so I'm sure I won't be missing it.

vampireuk
01-31-03, 02:47 PM
There are some issues with the Nforce2 audio it seems.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2968&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

:)

Nephilim
01-31-03, 07:05 PM
Ehh...they look like they could all be fix by one or more of the following:

Update the NForce drivers
Update the BIOS

and failing that, disable ACPI in the bios.

Damned shared IRQs.

Nephilim
02-03-03, 08:45 PM
Okay, the other night I pulled the Audigy out of my system and I am now just using the SoundStorm chip on my A7N8X Deluxe.

Wow. The indicator screen on my Logitech Z-680s now reads:

Input: Coax
Effect: Dolby Digital

all the time, whereas before it would read:

Input Coax
Effect: Stereo

I could change the effect when using the Audigy to one of the "Pro Logic" surround modes, but not Dolby Digital. Hmm...I wonder why.

The sound is very crisp, clear, and generally kick ass. The surround is WAY better than it ever was with my Audigy and with these speakers (and my previous set of DTT2500s).

I haven't noticed any of the crackling or other sound corruption that was mentioned on the nforcers.com boards, but it's only been a couple of days. I'll update here if I run across any weirdness.

w00t! I'm a happy camper!

SnakeEyes
02-03-03, 09:07 PM
Cool! My A7N8X should be here tomorrow, so maybe I'll get to try it out. Then again, I don't have a coaxial digital cable, so I may have to wait until Friday, when the add-on Asus digital i/o card gets here so I can use my digital optical cable. :(

Nephilim
02-03-03, 09:51 PM
I'm just using a coax spdif cable I had laying around.

How much are the daughter cards with the optical connections?

SnakeEyes
02-03-03, 10:14 PM
I bought mine through newegg, and it was $15.00. Here's (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1315&catalog=142&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1) the link to newegg's page (second item down). It's now listed as out of stock though.

Red Dog
02-03-03, 10:32 PM
Nephilim, where did you set the lfe crossover frequency in soundstorms control panel?

I find 120~125hz allows me to use more of the 680's bass amp without it becoming boomy.

I initialy set it there because I read the following info posted on dolby's site,

What is Dolby Digital?

Dolby Digital is a high-quality multichannel audio coding system, and is the standard for multichannel digital audio in DVD, HDTV, cinema, and now games! Dolby Digital can encode up to 5.1 channels of audio into a single, compact bitstream. This bitstream can be decoded by any reciever with Dolby Digital decoding.

Dolby Digital 5.1-channel audio is composed of five full-bandwidth channels (Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround) and one bass-only channel, called the LFE. The LFE channel is used for extra bass in Dolby Digital soundtracks, and is band limited to frequencies less than 120 Hz.

Dolby Digital is currently available for games on Microsoft Xbox™, as well as PCs equipped with the NVIDIA nForce™ motherboard.

http://www.dolby.com/games/dolby.tech.faq.html

Nephilim
02-03-03, 11:01 PM
I haven't played with the LFE setting. If I recall correctly it defaulted to around 67Hz when I installed the drivers. I haven't been able to play with the settings at all since I made the switch to the on-board sound as I have been extremely busy lately.

I will, however, play with it when I get home from work tonight (finally some free time!! :D )

Thanks for the info on the dolby digital, I'll have to check that site out more.

Also, thanks for the link SnakeEyes, I may just pick up one of those for myself! :D

Red Dog
02-03-03, 11:28 PM
If you want to feel the power of the 680's

Sound Effects - THX - Boston Acoustics Bass Test CD - Woofer Cooker.mp3

THX - Ultimate Subwoofer Test.mp3

if you can find these tracks the z680 will rattle things off of your desk.

especially woofer cooker. be advised woofer cooker can smoke subwoofers.

with the lfe at 120hz and the sub cranked it vibrates your chest cavity

Nephilim
02-03-03, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I've seen those around online somewhere.

My favorite all-time sound though will always be that one...

Oh yeah,

"The audience is listening" THX sound, you know, the one they always play in the theaters.

Mmmmmmmm....:D