PDA

View Full Version : 71.81 and freezing problems

zalmoxis
03-04-05, 03:51 PM
hey all

just curious, i really like the 71.81 drivers, they seem to work the best for me so far, but i have a problem with them.

With these drivers installed, i get random system freezes where i have to reboot my machine. There is no way to produce the freezing manually,ie: trying to do something to make it freeze, its completely random.

I first thought it could be a heat problem, but that was all in order, next i thought it was a bios setting, but safe settings and performance setting both result in the freezing.

So i decided, as a long shot, to try the 75.90 drivers. Doing so cured all freezing problems, it has been four days now, and not one system lock-up.

My question is what could be causing these lock-ups??

Only thing i can think of is due to the fact that i have to force tv detection in order to stop the screening flasing when ever i load the CP or games....

This sound like a culprit?

Any help would be appreciated.

AMD 3500 64 939

SB audigy, latest web drivers

2 gig kingston hyperx pc4000 @ 400 mhz

MSI neo2 plat. nforce 3 with latest bios and beta driver set 6.37

geforce 6800gt BFG OC @ stock speeds

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, one other question, not sure if this is the correct place, but :

when ever i try to OC my GC, either by auto or manual, my performance actually drops, not get better. Temps are staying the same as stock speeds, but performance goes down..... Any ideas??

edit for little spelling erros i caught :)

zalmoxis
03-05-05, 12:45 PM
any help with this?

OWA
03-05-05, 01:15 PM
Try here for random freezing info:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

I'd try fastwrites off before you try anything else (if you happen to have them on).

Normally, when overclocking and the performance goes down it's because the card is throttling. Normally this is because of heat. Not sure but maybe a lack of power can cause that as well. What kind of power supply do you have?