PDA

View Full Version : nvidia "sentry" determined not enough power and slowed down...

Sc0rp10n
03-04-05, 09:08 PM
i've got an alienware system that i bought when the nvidia geforce 5900 ultra was top of the line. anyway, i have a 6800 ultra now and have had intermitent problems with it. today the driver "sentry" informed me the card wasn't getting enough power and it slowed it down. what kind of power supply should i get? i'd like to get an enermax. there are too many to choose from on newegg. any suggestions?

keith33
03-04-05, 09:16 PM
Anything over 480W should be more than sufficent. Make sure you have over 24A on the 12v rail. Many people with 6800s and other power hungry components seem to really like the OCZ Powerstream 520W (or if you want moddable cables, the Modstream 520W). You can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty on a power supply lol. Newegg has some Enermax Noisetakers over 460W which are more than sufficient.

Good luck. I would personally go with the PowerStream. If you had a lot of money to spend (~$300), I would try to get a PC Power and Cooling 510W.

Nexnecis
03-04-05, 09:20 PM
Enermax are decent, as are Antec ( my fave ). Main thing to keep in mind when looking at them, is you want a good amperage on the +12v line. You might run into some generic PS's that claim 400w+ but give crappy +12v. Since you're shopping at Newegg you'll be able to see that in the descriptions or pics. 20+ should be more than good enough.

Personally I have the Antec True Power 430 (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-103-908&DEPA=0) and it rocks with my 6800GT. One thing you might want to try for too is a PS with an intake and exhaust fan ( like that Antec). It'll help keep the case just a little cooler.

bkswaney
03-04-05, 11:52 PM
I still love my Ultra X-Connect Modular.

Tiger direct even installs them in there top of the line units now. :)

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Power%20Supplies/se=Ultra%20X-Connect%20Power%20Supplies/mp=menu_search.html

500 watts...... looks bad ass and performs great! :)
Only 99.00 bucks you cannot go wrong.
My system eats power plus I'm running a very overclocked Perscott.
Never a problem with it. :D

EDIT: WOW.... You can pick one up now for 69.00 after rebate. What a deal. :D

Acid Rain
03-04-05, 11:57 PM
Antec TruePower 430 here. It's been flawless as have all my past Antecs.

The 480 or higher would be more future proof of course, and if I was buying now, 480 would be my minimum.

Nexnecis
03-05-05, 07:09 AM
That X-connect looks bad ass! Love the way you can plug in only the power leads you need.

(edit, and yes I've heard of frozencpu.com before. They're supposed to be a pretty decent retailer.)