PDA

View Full Version : RAID problem

superklye
03-05-05, 02:07 AM
Alright, tonight, I hooked up my second Serillel adapter (thanks to Rytr) to my 160GB drive. Both of them are set up as SATA drives and both are plugged in.

However, when I try to enter the setup (pressing Ctrl + S or F4) nothing happens and I get an error saying no drives are hooked up.

What's the deal? They're powered up, they're plugged in correctly...I don't get it. I installed the drivers and everything, so why aren't they being recognized?

Muppet
03-05-05, 03:00 AM
Go to the Start bar, then Administrative tools, then computer management, then storage, then disk management, then you should be able to see the drive, next you will have to format it so you can see it in windows.You can format it in disk management which is easy to do.

superklye
03-05-05, 03:21 AM
No. There is nothing there. The RAID utility during bootup, before I even get to Windows, won't let me get in because it says the device is not available or installed.

The SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS and everything. I don't understand this at all. :(

Muppet
03-05-05, 03:29 AM
I know this may sound silly, but please check you cables are plug in tight, maybe change them around.

superklye
03-05-05, 11:37 AM
I know this may sound silly, but please check you cables are plug in tight, maybe change them around.
I did that too. Twice. :(

Tr1cK
03-05-05, 01:37 PM
RAID? What controller are you using?

H-street
03-05-05, 01:38 PM
double check the Cmos and make sure the NVRaid is enabled and all the SATA channels are enabled..

i'm assuming the first 160Gb drive was working before the second one was installed?

if so unplug the 2nd and make sure the first is still working..

then plug the 2nd in where the first was and make sure it is working..

Muppet
03-05-05, 02:26 PM
What about jumpers on the motherboard i had an Asus like that couldn't enable the raid unless i switched the jumpers over

superklye
03-05-05, 02:40 PM
Umm...I guess I can check for jumpers or something. I used my 60GB on one of the SATA controllers before I got the second Serillel adaptor and it worked fine. The 160s have never techinically worked as SATA though.

And it's an on-board Silicon Image 3112a SATA controller.

In the BIOS, the SATA controllers are enabled. There really aren't any other options besides "Enabled" and "Disabled".

I didn't do anything fancy to get the 60GB to work, it just did. :(

superklye
03-05-05, 02:50 PM
I checked the manaul and there is nothing about SATA jumpers. It just has to be enabled in the BIOS and it is. :(

Tr1cK
03-05-05, 03:19 PM
If it boots into the RAID BIOS utility, then its working fine. Then the problem with it not recognizing your drives is most likely because of them being PATA and using the adapter. I suggest maybe picking up an old RAID card like mine for the time being, the only problem is they wont be releasing XP64 drivers for it.

superklye
03-05-05, 03:31 PM
But why would it see the 60GB drive with no problem then?

Is it possibly because the drives hadn't been reformatted yet? Grr! This is so frustrating! I have a few friends that use these Serillel cards and have no problems with them.

I have a Maxtor Ultra ATA133 PCI Controller card...I can't find anything about it on the Maxtor site, other than drivers, and so I don't know if it can do a RAID. I assume not, though.

Damn it! There isn't anything else I can try? The RAID is installed correctly right? It just can't see the drives is all, right?

God, it makes no sense. The 60GB worked like a dream. :(

superklye
03-05-05, 03:37 PM
Do the drives need to be set as Master? Slave? Cable Select? No jumpers at all? The manual doesn't say anything about it.

EDIT: There is a Serillel insert that talks about it a bit and it has to be set as master. I'm going to make sure they both are now and see if that fixes it.

:-\

superklye
03-05-05, 04:25 PM
Alright, I got one of the drives to show up, but the other one won't. They're both set as Master, I used both cables on both drives (I think--I'll try again later. I'm just sick of taking my machine apart right now), and the only one that shows up is the one on the Serillel2 adapter. The other, that I got from Rytr, is a Serillel0 (or maybe just Serillel) adapter and that's the one having the problem. So the only thing I can really conclude is that the adapter has to be a Serillel2 in order to work.

Does anyone have an extra Serillel2 adapter they aren't using? I'll gladly pay for it, and extra cable if you can spare one.