PDA

View Full Version : Dual Channel DDR question

LycosV
03-05-05, 03:50 AM
It's been a really long time since I've bought some ram but my birthday is coming up :). Anyway, my question is as follows: Can I have two matched DDR sets of different sizes and still have dual channel?

The Scenario:
I currently have 2x256mb chips running in dual channel. Can I buy 2x512mb chips add them in and have dual channel still with 1.5gb of RAM? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to throw out my 256 chips, and I also don't want to write myself into a corner by buying 2 more 256 chips and later down the line wanting more RAM.

Thanks for the help, I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, of course this might be because it's 2am. :)

MUYA
03-05-05, 03:54 AM
I don't think so, not on AMD systems anyway I think. that goes for k7 or k8s. They all have to be same make, same density (in terms of single or double sided) and same quantity config..ie 4x 256MB or 2 x 512MB etc.

therefore a 2x 256 plus 2 x 512mb might not work provided u have 4 slots for DDR. U can all bung em in there anyway and run single channel...not much difference on K7s ...and only a lil more on K8s.

I dunno about Intel systems.

Muppet
03-05-05, 03:58 AM
It's been a really long time since I've bought some ram but my birthday is coming up :). Anyway, my question is as follows: Can I have two matched DDR sets of different sizes and still have dual channel?

The Scenario:
I currently have 2x256mb chips running in dual channel. Can I buy 2x512mb chips add them in and have dual channel still with 1.5gb of RAM? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to throw out my 256 chips, and I also don't want to write myself into a corner by buying 2 more 256 chips and later down the line wanting more RAM.

Thanks for the help, I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, of course this might be because it's 2am. :)
Yes you can so go ahead.

MUYA
03-05-05, 03:59 AM
on Intel or AMDs? U sure bud?

MUYA
03-05-05, 04:01 AM
My bad..I just had a look at my A8V Deluxe mobo manual, and ya U can dual channel provided both pairs that are going to be dual channeled are a pair of same specced' modules.

I suspect Muppet u having a Intel setup are speaking for Intel based setups?

Muppet
03-05-05, 04:03 AM
I don't think so, not on AMD systems anyway I think. that goes for k7 or k8s. They all have to be same make, same density (in terms of single or double sided) and same quantity config..ie 4x 256MB or 2 x 512MB etc.

therefore a 2x 256 plus 2 x 512mb might not work provided u have 4 slots for DDR. U can all bung em in there anyway and run single channel...not much difference on K7s ...and only a lil more on K8s.

I dunno about Intel systems.
Sorry didn't see your post, you can on Intel boards{well mine anyway} so i would give it a try

LycosV
03-05-05, 12:07 PM
I have an Intel board. So you guys think it will work?

Muppet
03-05-05, 02:38 PM
I have an Intel board. So you guys think it will work?
You can but try, at worst it just won't run in dual channel

LycosV
03-05-05, 07:46 PM
You can but try, at worst it just won't run in dual channel

Won't run dual channel!? Noooooo!!!!!!! :)