PDA

View Full Version : OMG, dude tries to water cool his PC by turning it into a fish tank

Feanor
12-03-02, 12:30 AM
Noticed this over at 3dgpu earlier. The utter lack of common sense here would have to be seen to be believed ROFL

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=384992

I decided this weekend to try and quiten my PC by following some other members lead and going down the water cooling road. The fans on my PC were really starting to drive me mad

The first thing that I did was to remove all the fans. The one on the processor and graphics card were no problem but the one in the power unit was a bugger to get out.

The most difficult part was sealing all the ventilitation openings in the PC case with silicon. I also put silicon all around the joints on the PC case. The smell of silicon was dreadful but when my wife complained I told her to be patent as it will be worth it when we have a completely silent PC.

Because I had completely sealed the PC case the only opening near top was the DVD drive. So I opened that and put the small hose I had purchased specially for the job into the DVD drive as far as it would go. With what I can only describe as great excitement and anticipation, I turned on the water. It really is amazing just how long it took before the case was complete full, and boy was it heavy. That didn't really bother me as I didn't intend to be moving the PC anyway.

The big moment had arrived so I called in my wife and mother in law (who was visiting) and I announced "prepare to hear nothing!" and flicked the switch on the socket on the wall.

Before I could even press the power button on front of the PC, with a loud bang, the whole place was plunged into darkness

I knew that it was only the tripswitch so I told my onlookers not to panic and I ran out to the hall to turn the trip switch back on. But can u believe it, it wouldn't stay on. After five attempts I decided to try unplugging the PC and would you believe...yes the trip switch stayed on. My conclusion: the PC must have in some way been causing the problem.

After about an hour of tries I finally decided to abandon the whole idea of water cooling and emptied the water out of the PC, put back in the fans (except the fan in the power unit, I had broken that one getting it out) and tried the pc AGAIN. IT STILL CAUSED THE TRIP SWTICH TO BLOW!

My PC is completely shagged thanks to stupid suggestions that I got on this forum. What the hell am I going to do now. I spent two hours last night with a hair drier inside the PC case and it still trips the switch.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Conor

Umm dude, the people who were talking about the benefits of water cooling were in no way saying you should turn your computer into a fish tank. This has got to be among one of the most idiotic things someone has thought of doing. Then after he got done saying the group bears full responsibity he expressed dismay that this shouldn't work. And here I thought water and electricity not mixing too well was common sense, and the possibility for a short circuit was rather evident :p

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 12:53 AM
ROFL, too bad it was all just a joke. comer is a mastermind

Ryo-Ohki
12-03-02, 02:33 AM
Hehee ! Joke or not, this too damn funny ! :D :D

|JuiceZ|
12-03-02, 01:19 PM
ROFL!!!!!! Thats gotta be a joke cause its one of the funniest things I've heard in a while! :D :D

Jon
12-03-02, 01:42 PM
At times computers can be frustrating and stressful, relax with a window mod, neon light and watch the goldfish swimming around your Geforce. Not sure plugging it in would be too healthy for the fish though.

FastM
12-03-02, 02:09 PM
True or not, the idea is there... Water is not obviously the substance to use though.

What else could you use?

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 03:23 PM
i think someone submesred they're comp in mineral oil or some kind of non-conductive oil.

fastguy94416
12-03-02, 04:44 PM
fricken retard

You would seriously have to have a room temp. IQ to do that.

Joke or not, im still waiting to read the rest of that thread. Slow british server.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-03-02, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
i think someone submesred they're comp in mineral oil or some kind of non-conductive oil.

Yeah, I remember that, got a hold of some of that oil that electric company uses for the transformers, he ended up dipping the HD in that and ruined it. LOL.:D :D :D

Kruno
12-03-02, 09:13 PM
Though remember that it isn't the water itself that causes the short. It's what is INSIDE the water. Minerals, metals etc...

Anyway, I had asked my electronics teacher 3 years ago if I could have my mobo inside purified water and he said that it would be okay but to be careful as it was not ment to work under water.

Anyone tried it with purified water? I know I'm not going to try as my pc was not ment to work underwater full stop. :)

Anyway that thread is hilarious. The guy says he worked 7 years with computers. He says it taken him 1 year to place a pc together. :eek:
HTF does it take 1 year? Did that include buying the parts across that year or it just taken him 1 year on how to figure out about placing a video card in an AGP port? LMFAO!!! :D

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 09:37 PM
GUYS IT WAS A JOKE. he even made a thread about how many people actually believed him.

Kruno
12-03-02, 10:57 PM
With the type of people in this world, I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling a lie and it wasn't a joke.

Again, there are a few people who had done the same thing.
The amount of people who mis-use their PCs is incredible.

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 11:00 PM
yeah, i've heard some pretty dumb ass stories. putting a p3 (slot version) in the wrong way. putting heatsink fans upside down, etc.

stncttr908
12-04-02, 02:20 PM
Maybe you've seen this b4...

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

Compliments of my nvmax homie trobbelke! :D

Feanor
12-05-02, 04:58 AM
As someone said

http://www.3dgpu.com/yabb_se/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2475;sta rt=15

I'm still having trouble believing he was joking. It's possible that this guy was just saving face with that confession. If most people had thousands of people calling them an idiot or worse, I think they might try to say it was a joke. I must admit that I too believed it because I'm also in a tech support profession and I deal with people that do stupid stuff like this regularly. I found it hilarious, but not unbelievable.

There are people that stupid in the world, and many people at the ends of tech support lines do run into them. The dude who ran in front of the fork lift one of my former roomates was carrying a few tons of sand, sement, or whatever it was while working at Home Base, is one of them. As the conversation went

former roomate: You should have been more careful I could have dropped this on you. You shouldn't go running in front of a fork lift in that manner.

customer: That's OK. If you dropped it on me, I'd have sued your a** for everything it's worth.

former roomate: You're an idiot. If 8,000 lbs dropped on you, you couldn't sue anyone as you'd be dead. A bloody splat on the floor can't sue anyone. You should really be more careful...

BTW, purified water doesn't stay pure all that long. There are lots of contaminants in the atmosphere, the container, etc that it could pick up. For purposes of chemistry experiments I had done in high school and college, the teachers had said that distilled water that sat out for 24 hours or so is useless due to the contaminents it can pick up from the environment.

Kruno
12-05-02, 11:23 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Feanor.