PDA

View Full Version : To all Doom 3 Guru's

Topboy
03-05-05, 06:18 PM
Hi All

Ok i just built this system. MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI Motherboard, AMD 64 3500, 1Gb Geil DDR400 Ram, and a Asus EN6600GT PCIE Graphics which is attached to a ViewSonic VP201b 20.1 TFT via DVI-D cable.

Problem is when i play doom 3 patched 1.1 with shadows ON i get corruption as showen in the PIC 1.
With Shadows OFF i get NO Problems at all as showen in PIC 2. HL2, CS are all ok, just doom 3 with shadows ON has problems.

I have tryed Asus drivers, Nvidia released drivers, plus beta 71.84 & 75.80. ALL show same problem. However i dont think it is a driver issue rather more a doom 3 issue with my card.

Please anyone out there that can shed some light on this, i would be most grateful for your help.

Cheers

Topboy

BioHazZarD
03-05-05, 06:45 PM
That looks like game artifacts too me, overclocked your card too high perhaps ? lower it and see what happens.

TierMann
03-05-05, 06:58 PM
If it's doing that at stock speeds, it looks like time to RMA the card.

Topboy
03-05-05, 07:00 PM
Hi Thanks for the reply.

However the card is not overclocked...its stock. I never overclock.

Also Ran some Temps tests and the card is not getting over 55C in game.

Yeah its stock so me is also thinking that card is a bad 1. Damn it this sucks as i have to drive an hour to get to the store...i only bought it 2 days ago...oh well.

Any advise on a different manufacturer would be appreciated

nrs421
03-05-05, 07:00 PM
i've seen that problem with a couple of cards.....i had a similar problem like that with my ATI 9800pro and ASUS 6800 AGP.....after trying a ****load of stuff i just had them replace the card and have never had any problems since having them replaced.

Topboy
03-05-05, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply

Yeah i was also thinking that i need to take this card back as its only 2 days old..but the store is an hours drive...so i was hoping that maybe it was a doom 3 thing...oh well.

any advise on a different manufacturer

Clay
03-05-05, 07:08 PM
The manufacturer (ASUS in this case) likely isn't the problem, just a fluke with your specific card is more likely. You can get a lemon in anything. Of course, with the store being an hour drive I can see you wanting to try a different IHV's card. What other brands did the store have?

EDIT: Just noticed you started duplicate threads. Please don't do that. Thanks. Threads now merged.

Topboy
03-05-05, 07:21 PM
Hi

Sorry about the thread thing. The store carries leadtek, XFX and asus in 6600's

Clay
03-05-05, 07:24 PM
Hi

Sorry about the thread thing. The store carries leadtek, XFX and asus in 6600's
NP :cool: Those are all pretty equivalent brands IMO. The quality is really about equal amongst most any IHV nowadays. I've had no problems with XFX in the past. Keep in mind that for every complaint about a card there are thousands of happy customers without any problems. Good luck with the next card. :)

TierMann
03-05-05, 07:25 PM
The manufacturer (ASUS in this case) likely isn't the problem, just a fluke with your specific card is more likely. You can get a lemon in anything.

True. I hate when I get a lemon pacemaker though.
I would go for the same brand if you're happy with overall performance with just that one problem.

Topboy
03-05-05, 10:21 PM
Hi

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Looks like i will be back to the store Monday for a replacment.

Thanks again to all

Topboy

SH64
03-06-05, 05:01 PM
Yep that looks to be memory artifacts . time to RMA the card.