PDA

View Full Version : best exhaust/case fan!

j0j081
03-05-05, 10:43 PM
Hi,
Now the weather is warming up a bit I have been experiencing occasional system crashes due to overheating while playing games on my 6800GT. Right now I have a really really cheap (stock) rear exhaust/case fan. I am wondering if a good one would help cool things off a bit. If so what is the best money can buy?

jAkUp
03-05-05, 10:46 PM
Tornado :) But just keep in mind, they are ear-piercingly loud

Rytr
03-05-05, 10:54 PM
If your case has poor airflow (in and out of the case) good intake and exhaust fans will help. 120mm fans are the most efficient in that they move considerably more air while being quieter (except for the high perf fans). If you are limited to 80mm fans you have a number of good choices such as the various rated Panaflo fans and those made by SilenX. Both perform well and only become noticeable in the higher performance models.

Greg
03-05-05, 10:55 PM
I'm sure other people have better ideas for fancy and expensive devices. If you have hot weather, as I do, you should seriously consider air conditioning the room as well as case fans. The room temperature where I live can reach 40degC in Summer.

With my hot PCs, I drill extra holes in the front of the machine, preferably at the base, but if there are front USB ports there, you may need to make drive bay vents. No fans are used on the front, as per AMD cooling recommendations. At the back, I use a dual Fan PSU and and extra 2x 80x25-30mm exhaust fans, so 3x80m or larger fans on the back.

To get an idea of how cool it is ever going to get, remove the side of the case and blow a desk fan into the computer. The decrease temperature you get should be 5-15degC and that is about as good as fans go. Beyond this, water and refrigeration are probably necessary. You are also only going to cool the thing down to room temperature which may be high already.

Now I described 'do it yourself' type methods, but you can buy well ventilated cases with lots of fans or fancy cooling if you like. Another idea is to buy a cooler CPU as an upgrade. My new Athlon64 runs way cooler than my old AthlonXP and my work P4.

jAkUp
03-05-05, 10:58 PM
He has a 3200+ 1mbL2 already :)

Q
03-05-05, 11:03 PM
Panaflo allllll the way. They just freakin rock. They are very big fans....loud if you don't use FAN ONLY connectors. But not as loud as other similiar fans.

They throw out the air. I love them to death. Definetly worth the money. I have a 120mm in my Antec 3700BQE and it does just fine with the low voltage connector.

PAN A FLO!

j0j081
03-06-05, 05:08 AM
What exactly is a drive bay vent? Would it be for example removing my floppy drive to create a gap in the front of the case...

Rytr
03-06-05, 10:36 AM
Most cases have ventilation for the HDD bay, preferably for me, a fan to cool the HDDs.

j0j081
03-07-05, 07:43 AM
Tornado :) But just keep in mind, they are ear-piercingly loud
What would be the next best to this? I don't want it to be super loud and from the reviews I read you are right.

JoKeRr
03-07-05, 05:42 PM
if the exhaust fan has chrome fan grill, it helps a LOT

Rytr
03-07-05, 09:02 PM
I believe it has been said, Panaflo. 80mm fans such as the U1A at 47 cfm is tough to beat for performance while remaining relatively quiet. H1A at around 36cfm is good and quieter still. L1A's are the quietest at around 24cfm.
There are other good fans but every Panaflo I have bought still works and several I have in full-time operation are 4 years old. I do clean them about once a year. :)

ragejg
03-07-05, 09:28 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Zalman 80's? :confused:

Rytr
03-07-05, 09:39 PM
I have one and it does a commendable job. It is quiet and has a rheostat so its speed is adjustable. Believe you can still get this model at SVC.com for around $6.

j0j081
03-07-05, 11:55 PM
I have one and it does a commendable job. It is quiet and has a rheostat so its speed is adjustable. Believe you can still get this model at SVC.com for around $6.
Which one are you referring to?

Rytr
03-08-05, 12:26 AM
Which one are you referring to?

I was referring to the one ragejg mentioned, or least the same brand. I do have one of those and it does well even cooling a cpu. It's a Zalman with a rheostat and is quiet at low to mid settings. Not too bad on high but it is a ball-bearing fan so you do get some motor noise.

Greg
03-09-05, 09:08 PM
What exactly is a drive bay vent? Would it be for example removing my floppy drive to create a gap in the front of the case...

A drive bay vent is just one of those 5'25" bay covers that is a grill/vent instead of flat piece of plastic. They work quite well as the air flows straight through the case from front to back, over the CPU, assuming powerful exhaust fans are located at the rear. Sure you can remove a floppy drive or bay cover, but something to reduce dust and prevent large objects from entering the case is a good idea.