PDA

View Full Version : Full SATA 2 Drive for Nvidia 4 chipset users

wheeljack12
03-06-05, 09:26 PM
If you see in my sig, I have 2 sata II drives. These are not just the NCQ sata 150 drives, these guys can go the full 300mb/sec. The only problem I had was hitachi (yes, not the best of the bunch for makers) is that they ship out their drives in serial ata 1 ncq mode (sata 150). If you want to activate the full serial ata 2 mode, you have to go to the hitachi global storage site and download the feature set utility. Then it's making a dos boot disk that loads a util to set features like accoustics, cache, dma modes, and of course sata modes. It took me a week to figure it out since the drives are oem and don't tell you about this. I was fortunate that I searched the site thoroughly and found the util because I was starting to get worried that I was too bleeding edge and nvidia/asus and/or hitachi was not really supporting the tech.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in the item, here is the site for the drive:
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/hgst/?epi_menuItemID=984274a23736408aa5a8f2b6aac4f0a0&epi_menuID=8d237906f078b6fd25ad4e8060e4f0a0&epi_baseMenuID=22f0deefa8f3967dafa0466460e4f0a0 (the general spec datasheet shows the transfer speed, mine are 8mb buffer drives)

And if you really want, there is one place that I got my drives from:
http://www.directron.com/0a30358.html (directron, at $63 US)

jAkUp
03-06-05, 10:28 PM
Haha thats pretty sweet :)

Muppet
03-07-05, 02:35 AM
Hell thats one nice setup you got there, hows the Thermaltake 680 watt going?

moshpit
03-08-05, 03:38 PM
I haven't seen any benches for those badass sounding drives anywhere on the net. Anybody seen a good review anywhere on them? How do they compare against the WD Raptor 74's? Got any HDTach runs to show off for us?

superklye
03-08-05, 04:44 PM
That is so stupid that they make you create a boot disk and all that in order to use them at the speeds they are supposed to be. What happens for those of us that don't have a floppy drive then?

moshpit
03-08-05, 05:06 PM
If you commonly create RAID arrays to set up Windows on, then a floppy drive is a must. And since many other hardware BIOS flashing requires a bootable DOS disk, then not having a FDD is a bad idea for a hardware tweaker. If you don't have one, get one, they're dirt cheap and you don't have it leave it in there. Just install it when ya need it.

superklye
03-08-05, 06:51 PM
If you commonly create RAID arrays to set up Windows on, then a floppy drive is a must. And since many other hardware BIOS flashing requires a bootable DOS disk, then not having a FDD is a bad idea for a hardware tweaker. If you don't have one, get one, they're dirt cheap and you don't have it leave it in there. Just install it when ya need it.
You can also slipstream drivers into the Windows install and remove any need for a FDD there.

moshpit
03-08-05, 07:29 PM
Drivers, yes. BIOS and other firmware updates, no.

wheeljack12
03-09-05, 04:17 PM
The thermaltake is working fine. But if the opportunity comes, I may up it to the pc cooling 850watt.

Here is what I am talking about:
http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/about/index_whatnew850.htm