PDA

View Full Version : switching pc components to new case hard?

j0j081
03-07-05, 07:46 AM
I am thinking about getting a new case but I'm not sure how tricky it will be to do the switch. Before I had a friend do most of the work. The mobo is the main thing that concerns me. Obvioulsy I won't have to mess with the cpu but isn't the mobo hard to attatch in general?

Also, what are some of the best cases on newegg.com if money is no object?

MUYA
03-07-05, 07:54 AM
lol it can be tricky :D But hey just do it. It will be fun! ;)

I prefer Lian Li PCV series. :D

six_storm
03-07-05, 10:01 AM
It's not as bad as you think it will be.

Clay
03-07-05, 10:16 AM
It's a snap once you've done it. These are the basic steps to follow:

power off system
unplug PSU from outlet
unplug main ATX power connector from mobo
unplug all other connections to mobo (good idea to take some pics first so you can refer back to later if you forget how some things were wired)
remove all of the mounting screws on your mobo
remove mobo

Then just reverse this process into your new case.

j0j081
03-07-05, 10:20 AM
It's a snap once you've done it. These are the basic steps to follow:

power off system
unplug PSU from outlet
unplug main ATX power connector from mobo
unplug all other connections to mobo (good idea to take some pics first so you can refer back to later if you forget how some things were wired)
remove all of the mounting screws on your mobo
remove mobo

Then just reverse this process into your new case.
when you say like that it doesn't sound bad...lol i have installed a new power supply myself so I don't have much trouble with wiring. I am more worried about positioning the mobo or is it more straight forward than I'd think.

Clay
03-07-05, 10:24 AM
when you say like that it doesn't sound bad...lol i have installed a new power supply myself so I don't have much trouble with wiring. I am more worried about positioning the mobo or is it more straight forward than I'd think.
Yeah, it's one of those things that just lines up correctly or it doesn't. The main trick is to make sure you focus on getting the ports (printer, LAN, serial, etc) all pushed through their respective openings in the provided template. If they aren't "through" all the way then your mobo holes won't line up with the screw mounts on the case. That's one thing I left out, on your new case you'll need to first place the screw mounts. These vary in size and shape but it's pretty straightforward. You just have to match up the mount locations with the mounting holes on your mobo.

Q
03-07-05, 10:26 AM
Antec 3700BQE and one 120mm Panaflo. Put the Panaflo in the front and the provided Antec fan in the front. Run both to your PSU (included) on the FAN ONLY Connector.

It is a very sweet case, very quite with the above mentioned set up. It does provide lots of cooling, too, as I run an EVGA 6800 Ultra (425mhz core), an A64 3200+, two hard drives, a tv card...ect...

But, for you, this case will make life a lot easier with rebuilding your system. The hard drives are mounted sideways on rails, which rocks. The optical drives are on rails, which rocks. The motherboard mounts are square. The expansion card slots are aligned right. There are NO sharp edges in the case, no matter how hard you try to find them! (You're gonna get tore up with your old case likely, expect neosporin and bandaids)

Basically, this is a rocking case, and even with that Panaflo I mentioned its still going to only cost around $100 total. AND you get a 350 Watt Antec Silent PSU that you can either use in your current system if your not needing tons of power, or slap in your old case for the beginning of a second system.

Have I sold you yet? =D Check it out man.

zoomy942
03-07-05, 10:44 AM
it's really easy. just takes time. and if you are going to cable manage your wires, that will take more time.

i prefer the Antec superlanboy. only cause mine is so pretty. :)

Tr1cK
03-07-05, 11:07 AM
Antec has always been my favorite. Always high quality.

Stormshade
03-10-05, 03:23 PM
I Vote for the Antec Super Lanboy Myself. I LOVE Mine.

Lumbrjack
03-10-05, 03:45 PM
The only thing about the motherboard installation is not to forget to use the risers. Also, make sure the case you buy supports the form factor of your motherboard (most are ATX). Other than that, the only other part that can be tricky is connecting all the front panel wires(power button, reset button, usb, lights, etc.), but all of that is in the motherboard manual. It's really not that hard.

Lumbrjack
03-10-05, 03:48 PM
Almost forgot, get the Thermaltake sViking. It's a sweet case.