PDA

View Full Version : Up-ing from a 6800GT AGP to a PCI-e

FredGSanford
03-07-05, 12:46 PM
Recently I decided to take advantage of eVGA's Step Up program and I didn't really look into this very far. I seen a huge number of topics on various forums about people having stuttering problems with there 6800GT/U PCI-e cards and some say they didn't have the problem on the AGP version. There are other factors involved for some of those people (IE: Over-clocking and playing with other things on the card, different chipset/bios/board/etc...) and for some they are not toying with any options at all. Some of these people are saying that lowering the timing lowered there amount of stuttering and others say it made it worse.

So the question is... Should I even bother with going for the Step-Up program this time around? And are there really any benefits of the current state on PCI-e? I know I can do a simple review search but to be honest... I question there honesty as they have led me a strey an uncounted amount of times (prob. due to fan boys trying to up-play what they like and down-play the competition). I've been building my own PC's for about 16 years now and can't recall a time when I was so confused... But I'm guessing that could be due to the huge amount of misinformation out there right now (or just plain confusion) and I've not really had the time to look further into it. Anyway, any first hand information would be appreciated...

-Ron

Current Rig:

P4 3.4 (800FSB) - LGA775, 550
Asus P5P800 (bios: v1007.004)
Kingston hyperX 2x512
eVGA 6800GT 256MB AGP
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

(I posted this over on nvidias forums, was going to post here but I couldn't remember my password and I kept gettign locked out... lol)

$n][pErMan
03-07-05, 12:52 PM
I was under the impression... and from what I have seen in various game tests and benchmarks with similiar setups of machines.... that a SINGLE 6800GT AGP beats a SINGLE 6800GT PCI-e (even though they are pretty close). So unless you plan on getting 2 of them and want to set yourself up for the future... I dont see how getting a PCI-e version is really an upgrade unless your trying to go SLi. IMO though... your system is close to top notch and I dont think you would get any better performance in doing any upgrading at this moment. You would probably be better off waiting as everything should be running close to perfect already :p Unless of course you have money to burn and want duel video cards... :D

FredGSanford
03-07-05, 12:59 PM
[pErMan']I was under the impression... and from what I have seen in various game tests and benchmarks with similiar setups of machines.... that a SINGLE 6800GT AGP beats a SINGLE 6800GT PCI-e (even though they are pretty close). So unless you plan on getting 2 of them and want to set yourself up for the future... I dont see how getting a PCI-e version is really an upgrade unless your trying to go SLi. IMO though... your system is close to top notch and I dont think you would get any better performance in doing any upgrading at this moment. You would probably be better off waiting as everything should be running close to perfect already :p Unless of course you have money to burn and want duel video cards... :D

lol... I Wish I had the $$$ for an sli right now... but I can handle the motherboard and psu upgrade right now... Although I might be eating bread and water for the next month... :eek: :)

TeaEtchSee
03-07-05, 03:51 PM
imma convert to sli when a video card utalizes all 16x bus speed...

for now my AGP will last me awhile...

jAkUp
03-07-05, 07:41 PM
Yes, right now there are 0 differences with AGP and PCIe, only advantage PCIe has is SLI. No cards take advantage of the 8gbs of second (I think) that PCIe 16x offers.

PaiN
03-07-05, 07:55 PM
Yes, right now there are 0 differences with AGP and PCIe, only advantage PCIe has is SLI. No cards take advantage of the 8gbs of second (I think) that PCIe 16x offers.

Don't forget a PCI-e system also offers furture upgrade-ability ;)

$n][pErMan
03-07-05, 09:07 PM
Don't forget a PCI-e system also offers furture upgrade-ability ;)
Ya .. but honestly... motherboards are cheap. When I go 64bit in the spring im going to get an AGP one to keep my card. Because a year down the road if I went PCI-e... I could then probably get a top of the line SLi board for like $150 .... which is much cheaper than an SLi + PCI-e card now when you dont really need them yet (unless your going stright to duel video cards). ;)

Rollo
03-07-05, 09:36 PM
LOL- I used top post as Fred Sanford back in the days of 3dfx Gamers and AGN- Rollo is his son LaMont's pal. :)

FredGSanford
03-07-05, 10:17 PM
LOL- I used top post as Fred Sanford back in the days of 3dfx Gamers and AGN- Rollo is his son LaMont's pal. :)

I'm having a big one Elisabeth..... ;)