PDA

View Full Version : Top Artistic Games

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
03-07-05, 01:52 PM
Was wondering what everyones opinion on the best use of Art Style in a game, now Im not talking about graphics or general graphic effects but basically what game made you go awe at how wonderfully everything was created and looked.

Now I know this ties in graphics aswell but many games have great engines but dont accomplish anything interesting artistic wise.

Here are my top 5...

1) ICO
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Soul Reaver 2
4) The Longest Journey
5) Final Fantasy VII

Ninjaman09
03-07-05, 02:16 PM
All of what's on your list and:

Yoshi's Island
World of Warcraft
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Republic Commando (character art)
Viewtiful Joe

Smokey
03-07-05, 02:21 PM
Grimfandango

Ninjaman09
03-07-05, 02:22 PM
Grimfandango
Ah, damn, how did I forget that? Good call. :thumbsup:

Parts
03-07-05, 02:31 PM
Alice

ragejg
03-07-05, 02:38 PM
Dammit Parts!! I was SO about to say that!

Edge
03-07-05, 02:53 PM
Hmm, I think the main game that stands out in my mind as artistic is Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future. Some of the designs were just awe-inspiring, it's amazing how they managed to make levels comprised of foggy water so engaging (Hanging Waters > Every other game level ever created combined). ICO I also felt looked really nice, and the upcoming Okami has a very unique style to it. Phantom Dust is also another one, from the videos of it I've seen.

|MaguS|
03-07-05, 03:01 PM
Alice

Dam cant believe I forgot about this game, I love the scene where the world morphs to form the jumping puzzle...

Vash
03-07-05, 03:17 PM
In no particular order

A) ICO (and almost certainly the sequel, Wanda and the Colossus)
#) MGS parts 2 and 3
&) Katamari Damashii
*) Myst/Riven
+) Wind Waker
/) Disgaea - not a real winner in the eye candy department, but the presentation was new to me and I think it deserves a mention
Q) Dragon Warrior 8. Looks really very well done.
!) Chrono Trigger
~) Half-Life 2 - great art direction
X) Far Cry - also some great art direction

There are others, but I can't think of 'em off the top of my head.

Vagrant Zero
03-07-05, 03:37 PM
Vagrant Story, Wind Waker, Dragon Warrior VIII.

PSYCHODAD
03-07-05, 03:44 PM
I've always been impressed with the Soul Reaver series.

monly
03-07-05, 03:47 PM
sacrifice

Subtestube
03-07-05, 03:58 PM
Max Payne 2 - the first as well, but to a lesser extent. The achievement of the noir feel and look was superb, as much in the graphic novel sequences as in game.

SH64
03-07-05, 04:02 PM
PC : Morrowind
Console : Zelda WW

s-flow
03-07-05, 04:16 PM
1. Syberia
2. HL2
3. Myst 2 Riven
4. Hitman: Contracts
5. Max Payne 2

stncttr908
03-07-05, 05:14 PM
What about the Silent Hill series?

|MaguS|
03-07-05, 05:18 PM
I think the SH series is great on the monster art and some areas but as an over all game, it lacks the total artistic package.

CaptNKILL
03-07-05, 06:14 PM
Blade Runner (1997) - By todays standards the graphics are pretty grainy and blocky, but the amount of detail and the way everything is so lifelike... simply amazing.

Outcast (1999) - What a beautiful game this was. It was all software mode and the scenery was voxel-based, but the characters and the scenery were waaay ahead of their time. Not to mention gorgeous effects for water and weather. This game was an artistic masterpiece, its a shame it ran so bad on older computers and is buggy on newer ones. The sequel was canned too :(

Shadowrun (SNES, 1993) - Im probably alone on this one, but I thought the graphics and scenery in this game were just awesome. Curled edges on wall posters, trash riddled streets, dimly lit alleys, excelent character portraits, very nice animation (and variety) for characters... even cool spell and combat effects. This game had some amazing art work :)

SH64
03-07-05, 06:17 PM
Outcast (1999) - What a beautiful game this was. It was all software mode and the scenery was voxel-based, but the characters and the scenery were waaay ahead of their time. Not to mention gorgeous effects for water and weather. This game was an artistic masterpiece, its a shame it ran so bad on older computers and is buggy on newer ones. The sequel was canned too :(

Yep i was about to mention Outcast too :)

zoomy942
03-07-05, 06:20 PM
thief series.
serious sam (creativity)

saturnotaku
03-07-05, 06:23 PM
Have to pile on to Max Payne 2. The overall presentation in that game was great.

One of the better games for me in this regard is Shenmue 2. It may not have had the best graphics (though that was understandable since they simply ported the DC version directly to Xbox), but I loved the story and music. Now if they would only bring some closure to the franchise instead of developing the MMORPG they have planned. :mad:

MustangSVT
03-07-05, 06:30 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil by Troika for the PC. It's this 2D isometric RPG (gives the feel of 3D like Baldur's Gate). Extremely good artistic graphics. It's one of a few games where screenshots don't do justice at how pretty it is.

jAkUp
03-07-05, 08:06 PM
I'm gonna have to say Resident Evil 2 or Max Payne 2

LiquidX
03-07-05, 10:54 PM
These or some of the top ones for me.

Console-
King of Fighters 1994-2004 (Also Arcade)
Castlevania Symphony of The Night
Final Fantasy 7
ICO
MGS 3 Snake Eater
Jet Set Radio Future
The Legend of Zelda Orcaina of time
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Panzar Dragoon Orta
Street Fighter 3

PC-
Grim Fandango
The Longest Journey
Syberia 1&2
Max Payne 2

Parts
03-08-05, 02:37 AM
Gonna have to say the latest and last game by Troika, Bloodlines... despite all the bugs in the gameplay, it was put together very well, I thought it was artistic.