PDA

View Full Version : finally decided to play doom3

nrs421
03-07-05, 01:53 PM
so i decided to finally buy the game and i must say i am quite disappointed....after hl2, doom 3 seems kind of bleh....

jolle
03-07-05, 01:59 PM
I played it.. perhaps 1/3 way though..
then I didnt play for a while, then I picked it up again and it blew me away hehe, didnt stop until I finished it..
Sitting alone in the dark playing with 5.1 headphones freaked me out pretty good.
Great game IMO, not really the same type of game as HL2 and I dont like to compare them, so I wont..

Ninjaman09
03-07-05, 02:17 PM
Yeah the trick is to get to the better parts. Doom 3 does get a lot better with time but you gotta stick it out. ;)

holmes
03-07-05, 02:49 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure... Having said that, I loved this game. Easily the best game of 2004...

Superfly
03-07-05, 03:04 PM
yeh agreed - its all about taste and DOOM3 is right up my street.

HL2 to me was just ....... bleh, I have yet to finish it.

CS:S however roxors, best thing to come from Valve this time around.

nutcrackr
03-07-05, 09:17 PM
Doom 3 is much better for me taken in small doses. Say 30 minutes every day or so, not only does it still scare the hell out of me (walls crumpling and going red :( ) but it completely removes the sometimes tedious nature of the game.

Of course it's a Far Cry from HL2 or that other fps :)

saturnotaku
03-07-05, 09:22 PM
so i decided to finally buy the game and i must say i am quite disappointed....after hl2, doom 3 seems kind of bleh....

You weren't the only one. Only reason I have it installed now is for benchmarking.

Superfly
03-08-05, 03:13 AM
you surprise me guys - I still cant work out what some people did'nt like about it.

I think some expected some super intense "outdoor" sunny FarCry or HL2 killer - urm guys did you actually play Doom 1 & 2??.

ID re-made Doom - which by nature was a simplistic game, Doom3 is that again with a beautiful engine to show it off. How and why people ever thought they were getting something else is beyond me.

johnkeel105
03-08-05, 08:09 AM
Doom 3 is one of those games that personally you dont want to sit down and play for 4 hours straight because that can get tedious. I enjoyed playing it a half an hour to an hour every day. Its all gravy Doom 3 rocks, I hear Half Life 2 is good but I don't think I'll like it. :)

Seoulstriker
03-08-05, 08:31 AM
I played for an hour per day, and it never got stale or repetitive. The trick is to keep things fresh every time you sit to play the game. Best game of 2004.

Superfly
03-08-05, 12:21 PM
agreed - doom3 in one sitting is a silly idea - an hour or so at a time is the way forwards, I cant wait for ROE!!!

Marcos
03-08-05, 03:38 PM
I could beat doom III in one sitting. I couldnt do that with half life cause i feel like im gonna puke after 15 minutes. Can't do it with farcry cause i get pissed when I die and start to hit stuff.

PSYCHODAD
03-08-05, 03:43 PM
I enjoyed HL2 and Doom3. Doom3 is definitely better in small doses imo. Also better played in the dark with surround sound.

Superfly
03-08-05, 04:01 PM
yeh its a Solo/Dark room with headphones on game.

If ya did'nt play it this way you cheated yourself outta something quiet special.

roll on April the 8th. cant wait.....

nutcrackr
03-08-05, 11:23 PM
I could beat doom III in one sitting. I couldnt do that with half life cause i feel like im gonna puke after 15 minutes. Can't do it with farcry cause i get pissed when I die and start to hit stuff.
You played Doom 3 for ~15 hours straight?:type: :confused:

Marcos
03-12-05, 10:31 AM
oh i didnt think it was that long...

id need some acid or something i guess

Vagrant Zero
03-12-05, 03:14 PM
Ya it was a good game, a bit dissapointing, though HL2 also didn't hold up to the hype. Will be getting RoE that's for sure.

Intel17
03-12-05, 10:22 PM
Doom 3 is amazing. In fact, I'm playing it through in preparation for ROE.

DMA
03-13-05, 08:37 AM
yeh its a Solo/Dark room with headphones on game.

If ya did'nt play it this way you cheated yourself outta something quiet special.

That's what i've been telling people who hated the game. :D
I think liking Doom 3 or not is a lot about the first impression. I started playing it at night with a decent pair of headphones. Alone in the dark this game really shines. :)
The lighting with this engine is so impressive i think i'm gonna cry. :cry:

Riptide
03-13-05, 08:49 AM
The problem with Doom3 was the repetition. If the only way it can be really enjoyed with most people is to sit down for an hour at a time then to me the game has a problem.

The graphics were great but the game has about 0 replayability IMO.

BioHazZarD
03-13-05, 11:41 AM
I play this game too now im about half way there soon to reach the frickinh horrible delta labs. I think this game owns i still get preety damn scared if i hear suddenly a strange sound or when a zombie suddenly suprises me very good since i thought that once you beat the game you wont get scared anymore well i was wrong i have played the game now 3 times so this must be my fourth time and i am almost as scared as i was the first time and that rocks. And today i played some HL2 and there is really too boring you know exactly almost whats gonna happen same enemies mostly through the whole level which is a shame because here doom3 owns you never now when something bad is gonna happen.

Sazar
03-13-05, 11:57 AM
You weren't the only one. Only reason I have it installed now is for benchmarking.

Pretty much my sentiment's there.

I do like the tech in D3, and I do like a couple of the latter levels and the shotgun and the sound effects are absolutely brilliant.

Not the classic the first installments were and not quite as good, IMO, as the hype.

PSYCHODAD
03-13-05, 12:25 PM
The problem with Doom3 was the repetition. If the only way it can be really enjoyed with most people is to sit down for an hour at a time then to me the game has a problem.

The graphics were great but the game has about 0 replayability IMO.
Well, most workdays I usually only have time for an hour or so of gaming so I reckon it worked out pretty well on my schedule.

I agree on the replayability of the game. Found it fun the first time though.

technews
03-14-05, 08:01 PM
I agree HL2 is a much much better game ..

noko
03-15-05, 07:22 AM
Playing doom3 for the third time, about 4 hours last night with 5.1 phones on. Beat it on Marine and Veteran levels, now I am on nightmare. Strange, rooms that I was able to get into seems to not be available now, maybe because I blew up the zombie when he was trying to throw a barrel at me, which then caused me to loose a step into the room. Found some other neat stuff in game which I missed the first two times through. Now I am in Alpha labs. One thing about Nightmare is there are no health packs around, the health units on the wall are there but once you go above 25% you deplete rather quickly to 25% health automatically, bummer. At least you have the Soul Cube to keep your health up :D.