PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, not another post about.....

Pages : [1] 2

Vengeance
03-07-05, 07:44 PM
6800GT's :eek: Yeah sorry but it is. I don't visit here much. But I do want to get you NV guys opinion on this.
I should have my income tax check this Sat, Mon at the latest. And I'm planing on getting either a BFG 6800 GT OC from best buy, or a PNY 6800 GT from Compusa. Both for $399.00. Which one is the better card. I like the BFG a little better my self. But it has that new dual fan heatsink on them. Is this heatsink any good?

Edit: And I should say, this is my first nVidia card in about 3 years. :cool:

saturnotaku
03-07-05, 07:52 PM
Is this heatsink any good?

Since BFG has started producing cards again with the reference heatsink, that should pretty much say it all right there.

Vengeance
03-07-05, 07:54 PM
Since BFG has started producing cards again with the reference heatsink, that should pretty much say it all right there.

Oh yeah, Hmm I wonder which ones they have a BestBuy? :rolleyes:

Reliant
03-07-05, 08:01 PM
Since BFG has started producing cards again with the reference heatsink, that should pretty much say it all right there. That doesn't sound like proof... the standard could be cheaper to make and acquire than BFG's heatsink. Obviously the heatsinks engineers wouldn't design a heatsink that would be worse than the standard heatsink unless for a reason IE cheaper, or to make it quieter.

jAkUp
03-07-05, 08:04 PM
Get the BFG without a doubt. Friends don't let friends buy PNY :D

Actually PNY cards are much better than they used to be, but I would still take the BFG.

Tr1cK
03-07-05, 08:13 PM
And yet again, I will say my dual fan BFG performed quite well and the NV5 only gave me a 5 degree drop.

marsomega
03-07-05, 08:15 PM
Buy online. Pricewatch list the PNY 6800 GT for as low as $330.

MustangSVT
03-07-05, 08:19 PM
I've only heard bad temperatures from the people with the dual fan BFG cooler. Temps like 90C. My card barely hits 70-72C in full load.

My suggestion would be to go with a MSI or Leadtek 6800 GT instead if you can. If you want to buy from the local dealer, then I guess go with the BFG card.

weeds
03-07-05, 08:20 PM
If your gonna spend $400, why not spend $25 more and get an ultra?

$425 eVGA 6800 Ultra

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=1

thecrazykevy
03-07-05, 08:20 PM
I thought this was gonna be another post about semen on a 6800. :p
And I recommend the BFG one too.

Vengeance
03-07-05, 08:27 PM
Yeah thanks guys. I just noticed on Compusa's website that they now have the BFG 6800GT in stock as well. So If they do on Saturday, I'll probably be going there. :D
With my 19in monitor I like to do most of my gaming at 1280x1024, some times 1600x1200 with as much eye candy as possible. And with as much AA/AF. I don't care about OCing it. But the BFG comes with a little OC of it's own. My little Compaq case has good cooling. I've hacked the hell out of it. :p Put in a side fan. And I also added a dual fan PCI slot cooler. It lights up blue. :rolleyes: But it's got a slide controller on the back. So if it starts to get hot I can turn it up.

Vengeance
03-07-05, 08:30 PM
If your gonna spend $400, why not spend $25 more and get an ultra?

$425 eVGA 6800 Ultra

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=1

Youi know I would love too, But I'm going retail. :thumbdwn:

NemesisChild
03-07-05, 09:23 PM
Yeah thanks guys. I just noticed on Compusa's website that they now have the BFG 6800GT in stock as well. So If they do on Saturday, I'll probably be going there. :D
With my 19in monitor I like to do most of my gaming at 1280x1024, some times 1600x1200 with as much eye candy as possible. And with as much AA/AF. I don't care about OCing it. But the BFG comes with a little OC of it's own. My little Compaq case has good cooling. I've hacked the hell out of it. :p Put in a side fan. And I also added a dual fan PCI slot cooler. It lights up blue. :rolleyes: But it's got a slide controller on the back. So if it starts to get hot I can turn it up.

I bought my BFG 6800GT OC in December from Best Buy (with dual fan design).
From my own experience, it did not adequately cool the card.
I replaced it with an NV5, definitely a good investment!
I was in CompUSA several days ago. The guy behind me was buying the same card, but it had the reference fan design. So if you can find it, get the BFG reference card.
You can't beat BFG's lifetime warrantly!

Vengeance
03-07-05, 09:30 PM
I bought my BFG 6800GT OC in December from Best Buy (with dual fan design).
From my own experience, it did not adequately cool the card.
I replaced it with an NV5, definitely a good investment!
I was in CompUSA several days ago. The guy behind me was buying the same card, but it had the reference fan design. So if you can find it, get the BFG reference card.
You can't beat BFG's lifetime warrantly!

nvnewbie
03-08-05, 10:22 AM
*I have an PNY: great overcloking without modding, no extra things (in fact, the best overclock i've ever had for free)
*No extra stuff
*Clean design
*Excellent memory modules
*Reference board

BFG

*I don't have one but i think they are as good as pny's

Conclusion:

Get any of them (altough, BFG may have a better cardboard box)

Vengeance
03-08-05, 10:37 AM
:lol2: Yeah their box rocks! :p

NV vs ATI
I went to nvidias website to poke around a little. First time I have been there in a while. And all I can say is :eek: They really have a lot of content for their customers. the nzone is just incrideble. They have things you can download for your kids. Like that Bug builder thing. Gobs of demos. I'm going to spend so much time there downloading Dawn, Dusk, Nalu, that ship one. That funny looking guy called Timbury, <---or something like that.
I think I'm going to really enjoy being a nvidia owner again. :D

ViN86
03-08-05, 11:59 AM

my heatsink on the BFG works great. looks good too. its got a copper heat pipe. seems to do well with the heat. maybe other factors led to the switch back (*cough* $$$$$$$$ *cough*)

i mean, i still hit high 60's and low 70's (when ocing to 400/1100) at full load, but that doesnt seem too bad compared to how other reference cards run.

TeaEtchSee
03-08-05, 12:02 PM
6800GT's :eek: Yeah sorry but it is. I don't visit here much. But I do want to get you NV guys opinion on this.
I should have my income tax check this Sat, Mon at the latest. And I'm planing on getting either a BFG 6800 GT OC from best buy, or a PNY 6800 GT from Compusa. Both for $399.00. Which one is the better card. I like the BFG a little better my self. But it has that new dual fan heatsink on them. Is this heatsink any good?

Edit: And I should say, this is my first nVidia card in about 3 years. :cool:

BFG, life time warranty, and is OC'ed already

fivefeet8
03-08-05, 12:20 PM
Or you could get this BFG 6800 ultra for $400 after mail in rebate:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1213309&CatId=935

Serrasalmus
03-08-05, 01:15 PM
sup veng long time no see i got a bfg gt with the dual fan and i had no trouble with it i even did the vmod to 1.4 i put some as5 on it and my teps were good bout 65 at full load then i got the setup in my sig...id say bfg all the way......

Tr1cK
03-08-05, 02:44 PM
sup veng long time no see i got a bfg gt with the dual fan and i had no trouble with it i even did the vmod to 1.4 i put some as5 on it and my teps were good bout 65 at full load then i got the setup in my sig...id say bfg all the way......

The same as my dual fan cooler performed. The guys with high temps must have had bad case cooling or just a bad batch with hardly any thermal paste or something.

Marcos
03-08-05, 03:20 PM
Get the BFG without a doubt. Friends don't let friends buy PNY :D

Actually PNY cards are much better than they used to be, but I would still take the BFG.

whats wrong with pny?

NemesisChild
03-08-05, 04:11 PM
whats wrong with pny?

IMO, nothing at all!!!
I have a PNY FX5900 that is probably one of the best cards I have ever owned.
And when I bought it last year, it came with a lifetime warranty.
Stock: 400/850 (OC'ed everyday at 460/950).

fivefeet8
03-08-05, 05:14 PM
IMO, nothing at all!!!
I have a PNY FX5900 that is probably one of the best cards I have ever owned.
And when I bought it last year, it came with a lifetime warranty.
Stock: 400/850 (OC'ed everyday at 460/950).

If you read the fine print on the PNY warranty,

"Lifetime Replacement warranty does not cover items out of production if PNY no longer stocks them. Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product."

Here is BFG's warranty:

"Our lifetime warranty is not limiting the definition of "lifetime" to "products on the market". With product cycles moving as fast as they do in this industry, that really makes PNY's "lifetime warranty" about 6-12 months.

If an end user and our tech support agree that their Asylum card has a technical failure, BFG Tech will replace that card with a card of equal or greater value. So, where PNY customers may be out of luck because a PNY product is no longer on the market, BFG Tech, given the same situation, will give the end user an equivalently valued product that is most likely newer technology (if the original product in not in stock or available)."

Skraeling
03-08-05, 05:32 PM
shrug i have a pny it runs a little warm but may just be my crappy case.