PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk SLI(users please)

PaiN
03-07-05, 07:10 PM
I started off this morning, planning to buy a new A64 PCI-e platform.....non-SLI, I lost interest, do to the expense vs. benefit.
But as I been pouring over info. today(btw....excellent SLI investigation Chris Ray :thumbsup: ) two things came glaring at me 1. SLI offers killer performance and its working, 2. World of Warcraft is SLI profiled :D

I'm now am 99% sure I'm going with an SLI setup, I just want to hear what the real people that are using it think.
Let it rip......any info on motherboards would be appriciated too, thanks

jAkUp
03-07-05, 07:31 PM
Its awesome. I love my setup only downside is a few games have problems, those should be worked out with updated drivers however.

If you like to game at 1600x1200 with high levels of AA/AF it cannot be beat. And it will run fantastic with tommorrow's games that use HDR, SM3.0 features.

As for a mobo, Anandtech recently did a roundup of the top boards, Anandtech, as well as me recommend either the DFI or MSI SLI boards. Those are the 2 best OC'rs :) THe A8N-SLI has a better board layout however.

SweetLou
03-07-05, 07:33 PM
Well I will be first to say that I really enjoy the enhancements in speed that I get with all my games. It is fantastic! The only problem I have is with my motherboard. I tried this very same memory and cpu with a lesser hsf on a DFI SLI-DR motherboard and much better OC results. I get 2.89Ghz on my Asus A8N-SLI (12x241 3-4-4-8 1:1). Anything over 241 on the memory would not load Windows. That is not by any means low just for the record. Infact that is great, but it is low when I am using PC4200 memory. Anyways...when I used the same CPU and memory on a DFI SLI-DR that a friend of mine is putting in his system I got much better results for the memory. On the DFI board I got 11x265 2.5-4-4-8 1:1 with no problems. This was on the stock FX-55 stock cooling that runs hotter than my Zalman CNPS 7700CU that I use. Anyways...I will prolly be getting a DFI SLI-DR soon so that I can actually get my ram closer to its speced speeds. My only problem is that I use Zalman VF700CU's on both of my GT's and I am worried that they will not fit on the DFI board without blocking the fan blades on the card in slot 1.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46027&page=8

PaiN
03-07-05, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys... I'm pricing out the systems now.
Looks like I am going with an:
-A64 4000+
-MSI K8N Neo4-SLI (cant believe I'm getting another MSI...they better have gotten it right this time :mad: )
-(2) eVGA 6800GTs
-I'll carry over my OCZ 2x512 PC3700Gold
and the rest of the sys.

PaiN
03-07-05, 07:51 PM
one other question....My PSU has a standard 20pin ATX connector does this work with nf4 boards? I have a 20 to 24pin converter that came with the PSU...Is it needed?

saturnotaku
03-07-05, 08:01 PM
The Neo4 SLI has the 24-pin connector, but I used the 20-pin on my Thermaltake for about a week while I waited to pick up the adapter out of the PSU box which was in my parents' basement. If you have immediate access to the 24-pin adapter, use it.

Rollo
03-07-05, 08:44 PM
I have a set of 6600GTs and a set of 6800NUs, the SLI has been a rock with either rig offering big performance increases over single cards of either flavor.

The 6800GTs you are considering should give you great performance for the next couple years. :afro:

skoprowski
03-07-05, 09:21 PM
If you don't plan to overclock at all wouldn't any current SLI board be fine? I'm not interested in overclocking and am planning on getting the Asus SLI standard board. It's down to $150.00 now. You all think that would be fine?

jAkUp
03-07-05, 09:29 PM
If you don't plan to overclock at all wouldn't any current SLI board be fine? I'm not interested in overclocking and am planning on getting the Asus SLiI standard board. It's down to $150.00 now. You all think that would be fine?

Yes its a good board, but I would take the DFI or MSI board first.