PDA

View Full Version : D3D Programs losing focus.

skypx
12-03-02, 03:29 PM
Whenever I launch a direct 3D game/program it will lose it's focus. This happens with 3Dmark2001, UT2003 and even screensavers. There is no error message, the only thing that happens is the program will minimize to the task bar. I have tried all the latest detonator drivers with the same result. Does anyone know what causes this problem?

monkeydust
12-03-02, 03:41 PM
I get it sometimes too. I posted about it on here a few months ago. Never did find a solution (apart from rebooting or clicking a bunch of times on the window as soon as it maximizes to retain focus on it).

saturnotaku
12-03-02, 03:48 PM
In TweakUI, there's an option to adjust settings for application focus. You might want to give that a try. You can get TweakUI/Windows XP Powertoys from Microsoft.

skypx
12-03-02, 03:49 PM
Well, I'm glad to know that I am not going crazy, because I have searched numerous forums looking for a similar situation but I couldn't find anything. Thanks for your input though. If anyone else would like to help, I am using a geforce 4600 on a supermicro p4cd6+. I have turned hyperthreading off, but the problem still happens.

skypx
12-03-02, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
In TweakUI, there's an option to adjust settings for application focus. You might want to give that a try. You can get TweakUI/Windows XP Powertoys from Microsoft.

Thanks saturnotaku. That was my first thought. The setting was initally enabled, so I disabled it, turned it back on, only to have the same result. :(

saturnotaku
12-03-02, 03:59 PM
What resolution are you using on your desktop? I would have this problem if I tried to launch games at certain resolutions.

skypx
12-03-02, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
What resolution are you using on your desktop? I would have this problem if I tried to launch games at certain resolutions.

Its 1280x1024. Hmmmm..... Thats interesting. Never thought of that before. Then again the problem seemed to manifest after installing the 41.03 drivers. Since then I have uninstalled/reinstalled drivers from the 30 series, to the 40.72's with the same result. I even did a clean install last weekend.... I hope it's not being caused by norton systemworks/firewall 2003. That is the only new program I have installed for a while. Forgot to mention I play games at 1024x768.

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 09:07 PM
are you using style xp or windows blinds or similar program?

skypx
12-03-02, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
are you using style xp or windows blinds or similar program?

Sorry for the slow response, I switched mobos, trying to slove the problem. No, I am not using either.

gpk
12-22-02, 04:31 AM
I get this too sometimes.
Log off and back on instead of rebooting; works for me.

Smokey
12-22-02, 06:37 PM
Ive had this problem using 3DMark2001 awhile bad, and I found a answer on thier forums. I cant remember what the problem was, but I think it has something to do with a certain task running in the back ground.

Greg
12-22-02, 11:59 PM
I get this problem sometimes also and would like to know a definative solution.

How are you launching the program?
If you launch from a dialog program such as the 'autorun' on the CD, you are more likely to get this effect than using a desktop shortcut or the start menu.

Even if the app takes over the display, you must give it the input (keyboard/mouse) focus as it starts or you can get some wacky behaviour with background applications. Something you don't want to do is click on the desktop or another window as the app is loading.

skypx
12-23-02, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Greg
I get this problem sometimes also and would like to know a definative solution.

How are you launching the program?
If you launch from a dialog program such as the 'autorun' on the CD, you are more likely to get this effect than using a desktop shortcut or the start menu.

Even if the app takes over the display, you must give it the input (keyboard/mouse) focus as it starts or you can get some wacky behaviour with background applications. Something you don't want to do is click on the desktop or another window as the app is loading.

I found out "my issue" was being caused by Norton Systemworks 2003. After an update (liveupdate) the problem disappered. If you don't have systemworks 2003 installed, I have no idea what's causing the problem.