PDA

View Full Version : AGP to PCI slot converter?! weird!

Gator
12-03-02, 04:27 PM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20020601/etc_agp2pci.html

http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/22035

wow, that's weird. I didn't know you could do that. Here's some english translation:

"The product which just the same brand seems from professional inclination and can call " the キワモノ " appeared. That, the conversion adapter " CHANGE-AGP2PCI " that is it tries to be able to put the AGP video card in the PCI slot. As for this at in the same brand and with the product which belongs to " the キワモノシリーズ " for the especially upper-class person, the COM satellite 1 which does sale at the store, in the POP " in the midst of human pillar collection! " " Non guarantee! " " PC/AT interchangeable movement work failure! " And so on with recording, note (?) You have urged. As for actual sale price 5,380 Yen - 5,480 Yen (as for details thing " of the new product reference which this week is found").
Those like " the geta " of the place as for " CHANGE-AGP2PCI ", putting the AGP video card in the conversion baseplate, furthermore you put that in the PCI slot of the motherboard, you say, as it is called in the generally known CPU. It is limited by the AGP video card of LowProfile size that it can utilize from such structure, it is listed that signal interface of the video card corresponds to the 3.3v furthermore as a another condition. In other words, it is the case that the AGP which can be utilized with many Socket 478 motherboards and the like 2.0 (the 1.5v) is not, can use only the video card of AGP 1.0 correspondence of old type with " CHANGE-AGP2PCI ". Furthermore, when installing it is necessary to remove the bracket of video card side.

Nevertheless, it is written on the POP, " PC/AT interchangeable movement work failure! " Letter impact is strong very. Just, you can call " the キワモノシリーズ " only, but in the package of the product " the motherboard being onboard, the notice which PCI device number 0 not being used " " it is necessary to set interruption and the like by hand depending upon environment ", you say and takes also " hint " is written. The product which designates that as for this you use somehow with the NEC PC-9821 series system as prerequisite it seems. Furthermore, the setting possible jumper exists 3, but this makes power source supply by way of the PCI bus or, the setting and interruption whether it does from 4 pin external connectors which are provided on the adapter of, signal (the INTA# - the INTD#) with those in order to set, the setting chart is open on the Web sight.

In " the キワモノシリーズ " just the オススメ it is not possible to the original beginner, but for " the human pillar " of the experimental favorite in addition with you probably can call the product where the pleasure which is not is. Rather than calling utility, wrapping also trouble, when there is a room of the extent which it can enjoy, such as the item " of the professional " for just perhaps"

Matthyahuw
12-03-02, 06:14 PM
technically it CAN be done (obviously) but it's gonna run slower, and you won't get the benefits of what AGP is, like texture overflow to system RAM...

poursoul
12-03-02, 09:15 PM
Why would you ever need an AGP to PCI converter:confused: :confused:

I can see a PCI to AGP, of course it would slow the card a lot but the benefit of having a gf4 in that old p90 would really bump up the frames in quake I :D :D :D :D :D :D

thcdru2k
12-03-02, 09:39 PM
read the whole thing, it allows an agp card to be placed in a pci slot.

Gator
12-04-02, 06:57 AM
pretty strange concept though, you'd lose out on so many benefits of AGP, including direct access to the CPU. I would think if you dont have an AGP slot it'd be cheaper to buy a new motherboard, or maybe a card designed for PCI that's halfway decent like the Radeon 9000 PCI. :rolleyes:

Darth Wader
02-21-05, 09:10 AM
Why would you ever need an AGP to PCI converter

I can see a PCI to AGP, of course it would slow the card a lot but the benefit of having a gf4 in that old p90 would really bump up the frames in quake

For instance, I got a new (AGP) Radeon 9250 recently and my old AGP 64 mb radeon 7200 is useless now.. I wanted to use a third monitor (yes I have two already), but my pci card is unfortunately only 1 MB. I was hoping I can somehow use my old AGP card to run a third monitor at 1280x1024

superklye
02-21-05, 11:20 AM
read the whole thing, it allows an agp card to be placed in a pci slot.
you don't need to read the whole thing, it's pretty apparent from the title. :rolleyes2

Slyder
02-21-05, 12:31 PM
I think its a brilliant concept. There still so many people running boards without an AGP slot and this is gonna bring the new generation stuff to them without having to upgrade just yet.

Sure the gfx cards are not going to run there best but at least it gives the older boards a chance to have a half decent card in there.

Just my 2 cents

jolle
02-21-05, 12:38 PM
AGP -> PCI-E would have made more sense to me really, or viceversa..
get one of those bridge chips to translate..

when your looking at systems without AGP they arent all that highend so the current PCI cards available should be fine for them.. MX4000 and Radeon 7000 and such..

Gator
02-21-05, 02:30 PM
For instance, I got a new (AGP) Radeon 9250 recently and my old AGP 64 mb radeon 7200 is useless now.. I wanted to use a third monitor (yes I have two already), but my pci card is unfortunately only 1 MB. I was hoping I can somehow use my old AGP card to run a third monitor at 1280x1024

Why did you bump a thread from over 2 years ago??? :confused:

LOL

AGP to PCI converters are really quite useless now anyway.

CaptNKILL
02-21-05, 02:49 PM
What the hell are you doing. :lol:

This thread is ancient! Also, most cards will not work with that AGP converter... I have a lot of cards where the output plugs are at the other side of card, so the backplate wouldnt line up.

Its kind of strange that the technology to convert them has been there for so long, yet simple case design limitations are what are stopping AGP -> PCI converters from being usable for most people. At frist I thought this thread was about AGP-> PCI-E... but I think 8x AGP was new technology when this thread was made ;)