PDA

View Full Version : DVI dead???

Private-Cowboy
03-08-05, 07:00 PM
Hi

On Friday evening my system crashed, at least i thought it did. I ripped the whole ting apart, cleaned everything, swapped ram around etc. I could not see anything on screen.

I've been to a local harware store a few times and finally (today) i found out that the dvi connection doesn't work anymore (who would have guessed that - i though mainboard defect or something like that). No picture through dvi, monitor switched to power saving mode after a few secs. Dsub works though. the cable is ok, i tried a different one.

Question is: is the dvi-input of my lcd monitor defect or the dvi-output of my 6800gt???

superklye
03-08-05, 07:03 PM
try a different monitor to test your card and try a different computer to test your monitor.

Private-Cowboy
03-08-05, 07:06 PM
Well yes thats a good idea in theory. But where do i get a monitor??? My fathers old lcd has no dvi at all and no others in near.

Question was more like: Is this known? Did it happen do other people?

einstein_314
03-08-05, 07:08 PM
try a different monitor to test your card and try a different computer to test your monitor.

What Superklye said. Try your monitor on a different computer.

crainger
03-08-05, 07:37 PM
Well yes thats a good idea in theory. But where do i get a monitor??? My fathers old lcd has no dvi at all and no others in near.

Question was more like: Is this known? Did it happen do other people?

I have had the same problem, although I feel my solution is different. With me it turned out my monitor (Samsung 172x) was faulty and Samsung replaced it for me... They even offered to send a rep with a replacement and swap them on site. Ofcourse when I said that would be a 600km trip (most peeps in Sydney assume everyone else lives in Sydney) they said to courier it instead at their cost. Still it only took 5 days to get my replacement.

Private-Cowboy
03-09-05, 10:31 AM
Well thats what i fear, a monitor defect. Ill look into that when im back from vacation. I simply dont have the time nor the money to do that now. But a monitor problem seems more realistic than a graphicscards problem.

It a bit tricky though. I tried the following:

1. I plugged my fathers Radeon 9500 in my system. This card has a DVI-output and the screen stays black too. That would point towards the monitor.
2. I plugged my Laptop into into my monitor using a VGA-DVI cable (this only uses analogue DVI since the output from the laptop is from the VGA port) and the monitor shows a picture. That shows that the DVI-input of my monitor is not totally dead. If i plug the same cable in to my 6800GT however the screens stays black.

A different graphics cards doesn't work with DVi-digital and that would point towards the monitor, wouldn't it? But what to make out of the laptop test???

That said, I don't really know what to make out of this. It looks like the monitor but not sure though. Extremely strange. Besides, my beloved LG1810 is way out of warranty (nearly 3 years old now). Maybe its time for a new one. I love those Sony with X-Black technology.

Vivski
03-09-05, 07:03 PM
G'day. I'm having a similar problem. Plug in the DVI, screen stays black. Problem is, I have no other DVI monitor nor DVI graphics card to test with.

It has worked for the past month (had the new computer for a month). Then suddenly the DVI stops. The monitor receives the D-Sub signal but no DVI.

I have a Leadtek PX6600GT. With both D-Sub and DVI hooked up to my new BenQ783, it worked perfectly for a month then stopped, then worked for another week and has stopped again.

So is it a problem with the monitor or the graphics card? XP Pro SP2 doesn't even detect the DVI monitor. It was strange from the start because the monitor wouldn't detect the DVI unless I had both DVI and D-Sub connected.

Well if you can make any sense of that, I'd be grateful of any advice you have. This is a new system, new gpu, new monitor. Both under warranty but it'd be a huge hassle to send components off only to realise they're not the problem.

-Viv-

crainger
03-09-05, 09:01 PM
Yep, with my monitor the RGB dsub port would work fine, but the DVI wouldn't. I wasn't surprised as the monitor was repaired before that after suffering a faulty controller board (constant white screen while on)

Vivski
03-09-05, 11:46 PM
If the OS is detecting the monitor is that a sign that the monitor's dead? I'm surprised the DVI input would die in the LCD but the D-Sub input still work. I wonder where the problem is.

Private-Cowboy
03-10-05, 12:59 AM
I doubt the OS would detect the dvi specifically. Mine is and has ever been the "LG 1810b" under Windws, no changes here. Where do you think you can find a dvi detection under the OS settings?

Besides my combination of Aopen 6800GT and LG-LCD worked for 8 month now with dvi cable only. Now only dsub is working, it doesn't matter if I have both cables plugged in or only dsub. Dvi is gone for now.

Its a bit strang because I cannot imagine that a simple connection can fail. Normally in the IT sector there is no half-defect. Either it is working or it is totally dead. Have you ever seen similar things? I haven't.

I'll look into this when I come back from vacation. You could live with the dsub (I cant see any visual difference) but it gives you kind of a bad feeling that something is not completely right.

Either way: A replacement (ATI X800XT or Sony 17inch X-Black) would cost the same.

Nice sideeffect: Because I (and other pros) suspected anything else like mobo defect or similar I ripped the entire system apart and cleaned it. It looks like brand new now and I did a super job applying thermal paste this time. CPU us running 5 lower than before.

Vivski
03-11-05, 03:58 AM
I doubt the OS would detect the dvi specifically. Mine is and has ever been the "LG 1810b" under Windws, no changes here. Where do you think you can find a dvi detection under the OS settings?
I know the OS sees the monitor because when I have the DVI plugged in, the OS registers that there are two monitors and displays Windows accross both monitors. When I take the DVI out, it boots the D-Sub monitor straight into Windows and hides the dual-monitor settings.

-Viv-