PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center 2005 Installs as Windows XP Pro

Cornmuffen
03-08-05, 10:38 PM
Got this OS today and installed it and noticed no new stuff just a couple menu entries no new themes or anything went to MY Computer and see it as Windows XP Professional not Media Center Edition. wow did i get ripped off.

The OS was installed over XP home BTW.

Did I get the right OS or is it just Pro badged?

Cherrs

RealLifePixelShader
03-09-05, 04:29 AM
I do not know if my problem might be the same as yours

I installed XP Pro but when I had to load the key I could not find it any where so I used my Media Center key and when the install was finished the whole system was Media Center Branded.

Hope it helps

rewt
03-09-05, 04:47 AM
You got two CDs correct? CD1 is basically Windows XP Pro SP2, and CD2 is the Media Center Components. During a fresh install it will ask you to insert CD2.

Cornmuffen
03-09-05, 05:01 PM
Im Up and running with it know but it was weird i installed it over xp home as upgrade and was xp pro+ but when i decided to just format and install it from scratch it was nice use the remote and everything. it did ask me for the cd2 in the upgrade aswell as the fresh install but it worked the second time.

If i install this for my wife can she use it without the remote or does she have to have it?

ANyway it works and thats what i wanted so thanks for the help.

cheers

TierMann
03-09-05, 09:48 PM
Same thing happend to me with media center. I installed over pro and it just ended up an SP2 Pro install.
Clean format and fresh install got me media center 2005.
So I guess a fresh install is the key. Worked for us.

Oh, and yes. It should work without the remote, because I don't have one.

Cornmuffen
03-10-05, 01:08 AM
Or the remote pod either? Got it working good but the damn tuner card tells me the decoder isn't working properly restart media center or replace driver did it and nothing. even called EVGA and they told me to replace the card oh well im ok with WMC.

cheers

TierMann
03-10-05, 07:33 PM
I don't have a tuner, or the pod or any of that. I just run it because video playback seems better and I like the aquarium screen saver. :P Also, I kinda like the party mode.

So anyway, It installed and runs fine here.

I don't know much about tuners since I've yet to get one, so I'm not much help there. I should have one in a month or two.

Cornmuffen
03-11-05, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the responce guys. I have a tuner issue with Media Center a decoder error so im waiting for new tuner tommarrow hopefully it works fine.

Cheers.