PDA

View Full Version : My PNY 6600GT

jj87
03-09-05, 08:28 PM
Alright folks, i'm having some troubles and hopefully someone can help me. Here it is. I Bought the 6600GT, had trouble with some serious artifacting. I took it back and got another one. I had the same problem with the new one. I talked to the technical support, and the know it all tech dude told me i needed a new PSU because my antec 350 didn't provide enough amperage. He told me that the 6600GT requires 18 amps and i was only pushing 16 on the 12+ volt side. So i got a 500 watt psu with 34 amps on the 12+ volt side. Well i try it again after installation of the new psu, and wouldn't you know the problem doesn't go away. So now i'm alittle mad because that didn't solve the problem and i'm out a few bucks. Then i find a beta driver, 71.25, and installed it, and the card worked nicely however, after about 15 minutes of unreal 2004, all settings up of course, and the whole computer freezes. Then same thing happens on hl2 occasionally. It happens in halo also. This is the error that i get when the computer restarts itself. "Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver ,Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078) ." Microsofts suggests removing all hardware acceleration, right.....

Also, i'm runing all the games in 1280 x 1024 on highest settings. I've tried other resolutions and quality settings with the same result.

I'm currently runing the latest beta from nvidia, 71.84. I've tried many older versions with no success. Here is my system specs.

Intel Pentium 4 @2.4 w/533 fsb
1 gig ddr ram
6600gt
1x seagate 160gig, 1x maxtor 80gig
500 watt psu
asus mobo, only 4x agp

Any help at all would be wonderful. The fools at PNY told me it's my computer and i'll have to check into my settings last time i spoke with them. Thanks.

_Phil_
03-10-05, 06:40 AM
How hot is the card getting?

Marcos
03-10-05, 06:57 AM
The "fools" at PNY are probably right. It most likey is your computer if 2 cards did the same thing. reformat

Gentle
03-10-05, 11:29 AM
I Bought the 6600GT, had trouble with some serious artifacting. I took it back and got another one. I had the same problem with the new one. I talked to the technical support, and the know it all tech dude told me i needed a new PSU because my antec 350 didn't provide enough amperage. He told me that the 6600GT requires 18 amps and i was only pushing 16 on the 12+ volt side. So i got a 500 watt psu with 34 amps on the 12+ volt side. Well i try it again after installation of the new psu, and wouldn't you know the problem doesn't go away. Then i find a beta driver, 71.25, and installed it, and the card worked nicely however, after about 15 minutes of unreal 2004, all settings up of course, and the whole computer freezes. Then same thing happens on hl2 occasionally. It happens in halo also. This is the error that i get when the computer restarts itself. "Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver ,Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078) ." Microsofts suggests removing all hardware acceleration, right.....

Intel Pentium 4 @2.4 w/533 fsb
1 gig ddr ram
6600gt
1x seagate 160gig, 1x maxtor 80gig
500 watt psu
asus mobo, only 4x agp

Any help at all would be wonderful. The fools at PNY told me it's my computer and i'll have to check into my settings last time i spoke with them. Thanks.

I did a search on the specific error you have, "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" and find people that have ATI hardware get this error, people with Geforce4 Ti's get this error, FX5200's get it, Matrox Parhelia users get it...

So, it's a significant issue it seems.

My suggestion is to disable AGP Fast Writes and see how stable your system becomes. AGP Fast Writes are not necessarily a stable thing in your system.

It doesn't really effect performance for the most part. Try it.

Gentle

ViN86
03-10-05, 12:02 PM
if your memory is stable (try memtest86) then the problem has to do with either heat or software. probably software/drivers.