PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Graphics Card Manufacturers?

Matsuro
03-10-05, 03:32 AM
Hi,

I am considering buying a Geforce 6800 GT graphics card, but unfortunately I am completely lost when it comes to picking between manufacturers... Is there even a difference between let's say xfx and bfg and all those other ones? I know there is a price difference, is that the only difference?

Lfctony
03-10-05, 03:37 AM
BFG offers true lifetime warranty. I also used to trust XFX but it seems their QA has gone downhill recently. Haven't used BFG but all I've heard is good things about them. Similar differences exist with all manufacturers. Gainward are good for their stock o/ced cards, Albatron I like for their 3 year warranty, and so on. Each manufacturer has its own advantages. IE, better build quality, better warranty, lower price, higher stock clocks, better cooling etc etc.

Matsuro
03-10-05, 03:39 AM
So basically the difference is the quality of the manufacturer? Is there a performance difference? And also, is leadtek any good?

Lfctony
03-10-05, 03:43 AM
Read my updated post. :) And yes, Leadtek appears to be very good. I don't like their 6600GT cooling, but their 6800 cooling is very nice, all-copper based etc. Leadtek are also one of the few manufacturers that weren't plagued by the early 6800 problems, when the cards were released. As a result, I used a Leadtek bios on my POV 6800U to fix my problems. Performance differences shouldn't exist if cards tested are clocked the same.

Matsuro
03-10-05, 03:53 AM
Thank you!
One last question, what is Twinview Architexture?

Lfctony
03-10-05, 04:02 AM
Twinview is the ability to handle multiple monitors on your video card. It's what Nvidia calls it, ATI calls it Hydravision. Basically, extra hardware exists on the card that allows you to use a second monitor etc, ie have an expanded desktop or 2 monitors displaying the same image and so on.

Marcos
03-10-05, 08:00 AM
the difference is honesty, hardware, warranty, and bundles.

ragejg
03-10-05, 08:22 AM
The difference lies in the quality of the manufacturing and quality control processes, and the amount that a manufacturer deviates from the reference design... Sometimes the deviation is a good thing (better cooling, higher quality memory, tighter memory timings, MORE memory, stronger circuit board, better solder joints), and sometimes it's bad (cut-down memory interface, rmoval of features, slower ram, looser ram timings, BAD cooling, crappier circuit board, marginal solder joints and build quality)...

Gator
03-10-05, 08:45 AM
... Is there a performance difference?...

Depends, see Nvidia creates a standard spec for a particular model of card, and the card manufacturer must meet or exceed that standard. So for example the 6600GT AGP is suppose to be 500mhz core and 900mhz memory. But many card makers chose to make it 1000mhz memory instead, so in that case one brand would outperform another brand. Another consideration is overclocking potential, so although the 6600GT AGP must be at least 900mhz memory, the manufacturer may choose to use faster rated RAM than other manufacturers alowing a great memory overclock. And obviously if one card has a better cooling design, it could get a better core overclock.

So yes, brand can affect performance.

saturnotaku
03-10-05, 10:00 AM
I've personally used BFG, MSI, PNY and Leadtek and haven't had any problems with any of them. The cards I've used were either stock reference or completely different in terms of PCB color and cooling solutions. I think the quality of the majority of these manufacturers is very good and decisions should be based not only features but also software bundle (if that's important to you) and price.

Johnny C
03-10-05, 01:15 PM
I have an eVga 6800GT seems to run quite well max overclock @ 433/1244 which is very respectable. I like the eVga alot. I also know several guys with BFG 6800GT's and they also impressed with those cards. Lifetime warranty is great, but only if you do not mod the card in "any" way.

Matsuro
03-10-05, 07:06 PM
I thank you all for your replys, they have been very informative.

john19055
03-10-05, 08:51 PM
I like my EVGA 6800Ultra and it overclocks nicely to on stock cooling well I have the copper HS replacement but it will run at 475/1250 with no problems but I see no since in running it that high unless I am benchmarking just to see how high of a score I can get,But really look for a company with good technical product support witch EVGA has and look for a good warranty.

Greg
03-11-05, 06:33 PM
There are differences between manufacturers, but, if you buy the same model GPU (eg. 6800GT) at the same clock speeds (eg. 350core 1000mem) from any manufacturer, and the card actually works, you will get effectively the same performance from it.

Don't pay too much attention to individuals with one off issues like a dead card. These things happen. Someone will say 'buy Asus, they have great quality'. I have had an Asus card die on me after one year, but that doesn't mean anything. When a hundred people report dodgy product you may want to take note though.

If you want to save money, skip the software bundle. If you want to be safe, check the product matches the reference specs eg. has the same core and memory clock speeds. Google some reviews to find what the specs are. Some manufacturers are making specail low price, but highly compromised parts with half the ram or lower ram speed. You are probably better to take care of which retailer you buy from, rather than which manufacturer. You should also check places like TomsHardware (or other reviewers) for massive graphics card comparison reviews, to see how your chosen card performs compared to other choices.