PDA

View Full Version : Time to RMA my card due to cooling issues?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JWhipple
03-10-05, 08:55 PM
I am running a BFG 6800GT at stock speeds.. Forever and a day I have spent trying to figure out why the thing locks up while playing games and I think I have it narrowed down to high core temps.. My big question is - how hot is too hot for these cards?

This is one of the blue board BFG cards with the twin fan/copper sink/blue led cooling solution..

I've tried everything from opening the case and blowing a fan into it, to underclocking the card to the default 6800GT speeds - same thing.. Even gave the AGP slot more juice.. same problem.. upgraded to an Antec TruePower 550... same problem.. all drivers out there that support the 6800GT have the same issue as well..

The lockups come in the form of frozen screen with speckles of colors all over - and most of the time you can vaguely make out the last thing on the screen amoungst all the speckles..

Tonight I decided to run Rivatuner in the backround to monitor the temps while playing Joint Operations (note - this happens in any 3d game) - see the attached screenshot and let me know what you think!

I'll RMA it if I have to - but I want to get more input if I can..

XP_GUN
03-10-05, 09:09 PM
Do you have good air flow going into the case because that could be the problem?

Also theres a temp bug with the latest nvidia drivers.

Rytr
03-10-05, 09:10 PM
I would call/contact BFG support and tell the temps you are getting. Over 90C is too hot.

In another thread we have been discussing cooling options and it seems that the stock cooling on most 6800GT's provide for max temps to peak in the 70's or at least high 60's. With better cooling many are getting approx. 10C drop in both idle temps and max temps (me included :) ).

JWhipple
03-10-05, 09:11 PM
I have 3 intake fans and 3 exhaust not counting the ones on the power supply.. Yes - great airflow.. and it doesnt matter which drivers - it happens in all of them.

Rytr, over 90C is too hot eh? thats what I was suspecting...

Rytr
03-10-05, 09:19 PM
Yes, you have the options of contacting BFG and see about a RMA or get better cooling.

It might be as simple as removing the HSF and re-applying thermal compound or it could be just a bad fit between the sink and the core. But I would advise you to contact BFG before doing that cause it could void you warranty. If that is not a concern you could just get a better HSF. Some are getting good to excellent results with the Zalman VF700 or Arctic Cooling's NV5. Might check some of the threads if you are interested.

Absolution
03-10-05, 09:37 PM
look at your ambient temp, its 71C and thats way tooooo hot

my bfg 6800 gt got into the 90's a few times in hl2 and i asked tech support and they said it was fine, then i asked on the bfg forums and they told me to send it in (some technition wanted to look at the card)

anyway, i said screw it and got a VF 700 Cu and my temps dropped to 52-55 idle and 63 load (before my idle was 63 ha)

this is a really dumb question but im just making sure

your intake fans arent blowing air out of your case while your exaust are blowing out as well.... correct? i had a dell 8200 with 1 case fan (actually it was just a processor fan really) and it had lower temps than that

also check for dust in your heatsink... when i installed my new cooler today, i noticed that there was dust all over it

JWhipple
03-10-05, 09:46 PM
this is a really dumb question but im just making sure

your intake fans arent blowing air out of your case while your exaust are blowing out as well.... correct? i had a dell 8200 with 1 case fan (actually it was just a processor fan really) and it had lower temps than that

also check for dust in your heatsink... when i installed my new cooler today, i noticed that there was dust all over it

Correct - the intakes are blowing cool air in and the exhaust are blowing hot air out.. :) I actually got a whole new case in December along with the new PS and have religiously gone inside and out and removed any dust buildup on the fans and HS on the CPU, video card and intake and exhaust fans... as I said, it does it even with a tower fan set on high blowing into the case with the side panel off...

Sounds like my card is hosed.. so much for a card with a proprietary cooling system - I should have gotten one with a reference cooler on it.. at least it has a decent warranty..

JoKeRr
03-10-05, 10:37 PM
try tighten up the screwws, they screw u with those.

j0j081
03-11-05, 09:16 AM
What drivers are you using? I recently swapped drivers and my temp dropped a few degrees from that. Also my card runs fine even in the mid 80s. Only higher than that do I experience crashes.

Slammin
03-11-05, 09:44 AM
Really, that ambient temp is higher than my max temp. Sure sounds like inadequate case ventilation to me. Is the CPU fan blowing hot air onto the vid card? Is the slot closest to the vid card occupied? I'm pretty sure there are two separate temperature probes - one for core and one for ambient. The fact that your ambient is reading so high makes me think you HSF is doing the best it can under the circumstances.

ViN86
03-11-05, 09:47 AM
i doubt that your card is ruined and i doubt the cooler is bad. the problem is probably in the assembly of your heatsink/fan. if you take it off and check connections, and make sure thermal paste is applied, then reassemble it all and tighten connections, im sure the temps will drop some.

your ambient temps are WAY too high as well. you should look into a case fan to blow air that is likely trapped by the long video card at the bottom of the case. i opened a PCI slot to release hot air from below.

finally, if all fails, id look into an NV5 Silencer. they drop temps like crazy and work very well. if you still have heat issues after all this, then its time to look into RMA

|MaguS|
03-11-05, 10:10 AM
71C ambient doesnt sound like great case cooling to me, Mine is around 30C.

mustrum
03-11-05, 10:48 AM
71C ambient doesnt sound like great case cooling to me, Mine is around 30C.
It's the ambient the card reports. The sensor is somewhere near Memory modules i think.
It has NOTHING to do with real ambient Case temp. You can have 30 degrees case temp and 60 ambient in forceware.

TeaEtchSee
03-11-05, 10:52 AM
RMA it..

and prepare for a very long time with out it. trust me :afro:

ViN86
03-11-05, 11:47 AM
if you RMA it, im thinkin all they will do is slap a new cooler on it and send it back. if thats not your problem then you will have wasted a lot of time for nothing. this issue can be solved without an RMA

RMA should be the last resort imo. jumping into an RMA without troubleshooting can waste a lot and possible $$$.

Acid Rain
03-11-05, 03:45 PM
RMA it..

and prepare for a very long time with out it. trust me :afro:BFG turns out RMAs pretty damn fast, I thought. Like, a week's wait.

Anyway, I have the same card and cooler (vf700 on the way), and last August, when it was super hot here, my full load hovered in the high 90s, without a single hiccup/lockup/artifact.

I gamed hard the whole time and pushed this card as heavily as a person can.

Never a single problem, well, till HL2, of course. But that was just a hard lock in the game, and my temps were pretty low at the time, so I blame the game.

Just RMA. It shouldn't be doing that.
When it comes to stock equipment displaying artifacts like that, don't mess around. Just get what's owed you and move on.

Sure, you could monkey around trying to fix it, hosing your warrantee and all that good stuff, but, meh...

JWhipple
03-11-05, 04:45 PM
I've just finished up a fairly quick email discussion with BFG's staff that I started last night.. Here's the contents of the email thread.. Read from the bottom to the top - Thunderbird email likes to make things hard to read :)

I think I am going to run out and pick up an X800 Pro and when the RMA card comes back, put it up on Ebay.. I never ran into any of the flakey problems I have with the 6800GT when I was running my old Radeon 9800 Pro...

Jonathon Whipple

Thank you for your request.

I appreciate you getting back to us so quickly. In my opinion, you are right the card is bad. please contact us 1-866-BFG-FIXX so that was can make arrangments for a replacement card. We are available 24/7.

Jim H @ BFG Technical Support

Jonathon Whipple <jwhipple@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> 12 volt rail is reading 11.867 volts.
>>
>> BFG Support wrote:
>>
>
>>> >Jonathon Whipple
>>> >
>>> >Thank you for your request.
>>> >
>>> >One final thing to check. if your computer has some kind of hardware monitoring software, please check out what the +12 volt rail is running at. After verifying that everything is cool. Then yeah we can take the next step of setting up an RMA.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >Jim H @ BFG Technical Support
>>> >
>>> >Jonathon Whipple <jwhipple@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>
>>>> >>Jim H,
>>>> >>
>>>> >>I've tried it in my roommate's computer last month, which is a
>>>> >>significantly different configuration with similiar results.
>>>> >>Unfortunately I do not have the temperature readings from when I was
>>>> >>testing it on his machine, but had similar lockups in 3d games.
>>>> >>
>>>> >>We are both running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>>>> >>His has an Athlon XP 2600+, mine an Athlon 64 3000+.
>>>> >>Mine has a VIA K8T800 Based motherboard, his is an SiS chipset (both
>>>> >>with the latest BIOS updates available)
>>>> >>He is running a Soundblaster Live card, I am running a Soundblaster
>>>> >>Audigy 2 card.
>>>> >>I am running my on-board NIC, he is running a wireless 802.11g wireless
>>>> >>card.
>>>> >>We are both running 1GB of DDR400 RAM.
>>>> >>He normally runs an ATI Radeon x800 Pro card, versus my BFG 6800GT OC
>>>> >>card.
>>>> >>
>>>> >>Jon Whipple
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>> >>BFG Support wrote:
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>
>>>>> >>>Jonathon Whipple
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>Thank you for your request.
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>Would it be possible for you to try installing the video card in another computer, to see if the poblem follows the card.
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>Jim H @ BFG Technical Support
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>Jonathon Whipple <jwhipple@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>
>>>>>> >>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>> >>>>I am running a BFG 6800GT at stock speeds.. Forever and a day I have
>>>>>> >>>>spent trying to figure out why the thing locks up while playing games
>>>>>> >>>>and I think I have it narrowed down to high core temps.. My big question
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>is - how hot is too hot for these cards?
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>This is one of the blue board BFG cards with the twin fan/copper
>>>>>> >>>>sink/blue led cooling solution..
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>I've tried everything from opening the case and blowing a fan into it,
>>>>>> >>>>to underclocking the card to the default 6800GT speeds - same thing..
>>>>>> >>>>Even gave the AGP slot more juice.. same problem.. upgraded to an Antec
>>>>>> >>>>TruePower 550... same problem.. all drivers out there that support the
>>>>>> >>>>6800GT have the same issue as well..
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>The lockups come in the form of frozen screen with speckles of colors
>>>>>> >>>>all over - and most of the time you can vaguely make out the last thing
>>>>>> >>>>on the screen amoungst all the speckles..
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>Tonight I decided to run Rivatuner in the backround to monitor the temps
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>while playing Joint Operations (note - this happens in any 3d game) -
>>>>>> >>>>see the attached screenshot and let me know what you think!
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>I'll RMA it if I have to - but I want to get more input if I can..
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>>> >>>>
>>>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>>> >>>
>>>
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>
>>
>>

Rytr
03-11-05, 04:58 PM
QUOTE: "I think I am going to run out and pick up an X800 Pro and when the RMA card comes back, put it up on Ebay.. I never ran into any of the flakey problems I have with the 6800GT when I was running my old Radeon 9800 Pro..."

That is probably what you should do. But do not start a flame-fest here.

This is a warning.

I have both cards and both are good and work as advertised. If BFG said the card is bad it is best that you return it and go from there.

JWhipple
03-12-05, 11:38 PM
It wasn't my intention to start a flame war in any way.. I'm well versed in the many "fan boy" wars that have started up - and I myself am not getting in the middle of ANY of them... I've owned both nvidia and ati cards - and yes, you're right - they both do work as advertised..

My last card was a 5900 Ultra.. That performed smoothly - I personally didn't like it's inability to do some DirectX 9 functions correctly, but other than that, I had no beef with the card.. When I moved to the 6800 series, my first 6800 (non-ultra/gt) was made by BFG, and was DOA when I got it home from the store.. THEN, I got an EVGA 6800 ... I had a lot of driver issues with it, and had to resort to using a beta version.. Oddly enough - the same driver that was the "release" version is still the same one nvidia has up today.. Within the return period, I brought back the 6800 when I found a GT at another local store on the shelf... and then I run into these issues..

Hey, good news though - I found a 3D game that I played for 4-5 hours today without a glitch! Planetside (yay - whooohoo - yippeee - NOT!)... Not a flinch in temps... no lockups or another mentionable issues... then again that game can run on probably a GF4... and my laptop's Radeon 9000... go figure.. not sure why that game worked without a problem though..

Who knows though - I hope you can understand my frustration with this situation.. I've spent countless hours reloading my OS from the ground up over and over again, tweaking BIOS settings, making sure all my fans are operating up to snuff and that my heatsinks are dust-free... replacing less than cheap parts of the computer with even more expensive replacement parts...

I used to enjoy gaming on my PC - these days I get more entertainment value out of watching the fish in my aquarium... sad aint it?

Now I have the dilemma of "To RMA, or Not RMA"... I could do the less than respectable thing and go to the same store I bought this card, buy another and then return this one in the same box... or I could be down for multiple days, which means my productivity will be severely limited, as I will only have use of my secondary machine (my laptop) (yes, I work from home, and do actively use 2 machines at once all day long), which means less income all because of this pesky problem..

Thoughts?

Rytr
03-13-05, 12:14 AM
Yes, I sensed your frustration and I have been there. That was the reason for the caution.

Your choice is obvious, you need a card that works for you. If one card over another, then, so be it. I have a 9800Pro that currently serves the purposes I have for it, and does so very well. I liked the X800Pro but settled on the 6800GT for a number of reasons and am happy with it this go round...after all that is what's it about, getting what you want or need...and works!
Hope you find an answer for yours.

The entry-level cards in my sig are for an upcoming review and they cannot meet my needs but for some people they may be the ticket to a lot of enjoyment and hopefully not frustration.

bkswaney
03-13-05, 12:20 AM
It wasn't my intention to start a flame war in any way.. I'm well versed in the many "fan boy" wars that have started up - and I myself am not getting in the middle of ANY of them... I've owned both nvidia and ati cards - and yes, you're right - they both do work as advertised..

My last card was a 5900 Ultra.. That performed smoothly - I personally didn't like it's inability to do some DirectX 9 functions correctly, but other than that, I had no beef with the card.. When I moved to the 6800 series, my first 6800 (non-ultra/gt) was made by BFG, and was DOA when I got it home from the store.. THEN, I got an EVGA 6800 ... I had a lot of driver issues with it, and had to resort to using a beta version.. Oddly enough - the same driver that was the "release" version is still the same one nvidia has up today.. Within the return period, I brought back the 6800 when I found a GT at another local store on the shelf... and then I run into these issues..

Hey, good news though - I found a 3D game that I played for 4-5 hours today without a glitch! Planetside (yay - whooohoo - yippeee - NOT!)... Not a flinch in temps... no lockups or another mentionable issues... then again that game can run on probably a GF4... and my laptop's Radeon 9000... go figure.. not sure why that game worked without a problem though..

Who knows though - I hope you can understand my frustration with this situation.. I've spent countless hours reloading my OS from the ground up over and over again, tweaking BIOS settings, making sure all my fans are operating up to snuff and that my heatsinks are dust-free... replacing less than cheap parts of the computer with even more expensive replacement parts...

I used to enjoy gaming on my PC - these days I get more entertainment value out of watching the fish in my aquarium... sad aint it?

Now I have the dilemma of "To RMA, or Not RMA"... I could do the less than respectable thing and go to the same store I bought this card, buy another and then return this one in the same box... or I could be down for multiple days, which means my productivity will be severely limited, as I will only have use of my secondary machine (my laptop) (yes, I work from home, and do actively use 2 machines at once all day long), which means less income all because of this pesky problem..

Thoughts?

RMA it man. I saw those kind of temps on my card with the stock cooler.
But even at those temps my card never missed a beat.
I've seen 94 on my BFG.

I also think some cores run hotter than others for some reason. :confused:
It's easy to see why BFG has went back to the stock nvidia cooler.

JWhipple
03-13-05, 12:26 AM
It's easy to see why BFG has went back to the stock nvidia cooler.

They have, have they? Interesting - I was on their web page just a few hours ago and I am still seeing the custom cooling solution that my card has...

When did this happen?

bkswaney
03-13-05, 12:48 AM
They have, have they? Interesting - I was on their web page just a few hours ago and I am still seeing the custom cooling solution that my card has...

When did this happen?

There was a post a few days ago about
seeing BFG's retail with the stock nvidia coolers.
I cannot say for sure though. Just what other were saying.

I love the custom cooler as for a looks but
it cools like crap.
My card temps dropped 10+ degree's going to a NV5.
If I were u I would rma my card... Then when u get
your new one slap a Zalman on it to be safe. :)

JWhipple
03-13-05, 01:20 PM
I've got to ask.. Where do most of you people live? The north pole? I'd like to hear from someone who lives in FLORIDA.. Someone who has to turn on the AC at this time of the year at the peak of warmth of the day!

I've seen people saying that they have idle temps between 30c and 35c - how is that possible??? At the time of typing this I am seeing 62c core temp and 48c ambient temp... The only way I can get that lower is if I open then side panel of the case - and then only drops a few degrees... Lowest I've ever seen it was with the side panel off, and my 3 foot black and decker tower fan blowing full blast into the case - and then the idle core dropped to 55c...

YES - I have GOOD VENTILATION AND AIRFLOW... MBM is reporting 98f core and 96f case... It's an Athlon 64 3000+ Clawhammer core...

bkswaney
03-13-05, 01:37 PM
I've got to ask.. Where do most of you people live? The north pole? I'd like to hear from someone who lives in FLORIDA.. Someone who has to turn on the AC at this time of the year at the peak of warmth of the day!

I've seen people saying that they have idle temps between 30c and 35c - how is that possible??? At the time of typing this I am seeing 62c core temp and 48c ambient temp... The only way I can get that lower is if I open then side panel of the case - and then only drops a few degrees... Lowest I've ever seen it was with the side panel off, and my 3 foot black and decker tower fan blowing full blast into the case - and then the idle core dropped to 55c...

YES - I have GOOD VENTILATION AND AIRFLOW... MBM is reporting 98f core and 96f case... It's an Athlon 64 3000+ Clawhammer core...

"LOL" I hear ya.
My idle is 57 in south carolina. ;)
When the heat is on 60 or so is my idle temp.

Just a note that out of 4 6800's all of mine have idled around 60.