PDA

View Full Version : ForceWare 71.84 Win32 Official WHQL (Drivers Dated 2/24/2005)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

rbej
03-11-05, 09:50 AM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.84.html

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84_whql/71.84_win2kxp_international.exe

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84_whql/71.84_win2kxp_english.exe

Arachnid
03-11-05, 09:57 AM
Finally after so many months an official release, by the way, has anyone tried the 71.84 betas?. I have recently installed the 71.90s and they are performing very well for me. Are the 71.84s better than the 71.90's?

radial
03-11-05, 10:06 AM
This server is temporarily unable to service requests.

People must be going out of their mind and occupying the entire nvidia.com bandwith :afro:

Edit: Nope, there they are. I'll be darn! It is official!

Electronic Punk
03-11-05, 10:08 AM
I doubt they have been touched since the beta versions.

jolle
03-11-05, 10:14 AM
hehe would you look at that..
Feels like a bit of a letdown with all the anticipations that has been going on..
Anyhow, curious to find out how they stack up.

EDIT
lol ill be damned, im apparantly using 71.84 atm.. betas..
Might get these instead then, if there is even a point in doing so..

|MaguS|
03-11-05, 10:15 AM
Im glad Nvidia tests thier drivers so well to release drivers with an obvious temp bug as official drivers. Ya EP said future drivers wont have the issue but just the fact that they would support drivers with a bug in them gets on my nerves...

Same date as betas, wooooo official supported BETAS... atleast we dont have to wait for the XG Version :rolleyes:

So lame...

andyrock
03-11-05, 10:16 AM
Windows and Linux drivers in the same day! Nice touch

$n][pErMan
03-11-05, 10:17 AM
THIS SUCKS!! the 71.84 beta gave me that damn icon / desktop corruption (and more people than just me)... so it looks like im screwed again as I doubt they changed anything! :( Gerrr... at least new linux drivers are out. :p They better fix that VIA problem with the 7x series though for windows sometime soon. :mad: Untill then .. 67.66's for me. ;)

GuOD
03-11-05, 10:21 AM
tempbug still w/ bfg 6800GT

j0j081
03-11-05, 10:23 AM
I really like the beta version of these drivers. Great IQ and performance in CSS. It's too bad about the temp bug but easy enough to fix. I think it's funny they released this set to the masses w/the bug because normal people not enthusiasts like us won't know what's wrong.

Edit Oh wait, they won't even check their temps!

OWA
03-11-05, 10:26 AM
Yeah, same here. After trying all the betas, I kept coming back to these.

NemesisChild
03-11-05, 10:33 AM
Finally after so many months an official release, by the way, has anyone tried the 71.84 betas?. I have recently installed the 71.90s and they are performing very well for me. Are the 71.84s better than the 71.90's?

The XG 71.84 is an outstanding driver, the best I've ever used with my GT.
The temp bug is easily fixed, but other than that, they have been flawless for me.
The only way to know for sure is to try them for yourself!

chadashcroft22
03-11-05, 10:45 AM
They mention that wmv9 series now has hardward acc. with the 6800 series. All that is needed is a update from microsoft. This I believe is the only worthwhile enhancement in these drivers (and a small one at that).

Man I miss the days of seeing 10-15 percent performance increases and new features that mean something.

Mudcrutch
03-11-05, 10:56 AM
sorta new to the nVidia scene, but is this officially released driver any different than the beta version released on nZone?

in otherwords, do i need to install the official ones if i'm already running the beta?

Ruined
03-11-05, 10:56 AM
They mention that wmv9 series now has hardward acc. with the 6800 series. All that is needed is a update from microsoft. This I believe is the only worthwhile enhancement in these drivers (and a small one at that).

I actually noticed this in the beta release notes. Didn't want to say anything because of the false starts with WMV with the 6800 in the past, and the release notes aren't very specific. If it does enable it though, this is huge news.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.84/NVWinRel70Notes_7184.pdf

"Improved Video Functionality
Improved video scaling for the newest GeForce 6 Series GPUs
Improved de-interlacing
Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9) Video Acceleration
Includes support for hardware acceleration decoding of WMV9
video files on GeForce 6 series GPUs.
A software update from Microsoft is required to enable this feature."

TeaEtchSee
03-11-05, 10:58 AM
the temp bug is still here...but its 3c lower then the betas.

im still gunna stick with my leadtek 67.66

I read on the driver release issues....that they promise to solve this temp bug on the next release..so give them another 5 months

Ruined
03-11-05, 10:59 AM
They seem to indicate that the temp bug is just a reporting bug, not that the actual GPU is hotter. If this is the case, is it really a big deal?

TeaEtchSee
03-11-05, 11:03 AM
it may be a bug...

but i hear my fans accelerating...

radial
03-11-05, 11:05 AM
Well at least they are whql' ed ;p

Acid Rain
03-11-05, 11:05 AM
A decent, solid release. If you'd come from 66.93 official, these would seem great.

I like IQ, stability and speed, however, so back to the world famous 67.66 betas.

Superfly
03-11-05, 11:09 AM
its no big deal at all - I've had the bug with every beta set - I've discussed the bug on the NVD forums and had numerous bug reports back from nvidia.

Its never caused me to loose performance or degraded my IQ, or hindered my OC'ing or affected my 3D LOAD TEMP which is in fact the only temp that really matters.

ttfn.

Acid Rain
03-11-05, 11:14 AM
They seem to indicate that the temp bug is just a reporting bug, not that the actual GPU is hotter. If this is the case, is it really a big deal?It's been confirmed, and I've tried this myself with a thermometer, that the drivers truly do make the GPU run hotter.

They must let the chip have access to full voltage even in 2d, instead of voltage switching. It might actually be a temporary fix for issues some people were having with their cards.

I never really have any issues, so I can't test.

Are people who've had stuttering/pausing in the past still needing their workarounds to get rid of it???

Hmm, I wonder...

macatak
03-11-05, 11:26 AM
A software update from Microsoft is required to enable this feature.[/b]"
Anyone know if this update is available, i had a search around Microsofts Media Player site but couldn't find any update for WMP10 anywhere ??

tardeaux
03-11-05, 11:27 AM
It's been confirmed, and I've tried this myself with a thermometer, that the drivers truly do make the GPU run hotter.

They must let the chip have access to full voltage even in 2d, instead of voltage switching.

It might actually be a temporary fix for issues some people were having with their cards.

I never really have any issues, so I can't test.

Are people who've had stuttering in the past still need their workarounds to get rid of it???

Hmm, I wonder...

I have an original production 6800U from BFG (BIOS 5.40.02.05.12) and don't see any temperature increase at all with 7x series drivers, including this release; however see a lot of complaints from folks with later-released GTs or updated Ultras so it's probably a product of the stutter-fix or another change that was made in those firmware revs. Has anyone that did an unauthorized firmware update on their card tried going back to original firmware to see if that fixed this "bug"?

Anyone know if this update is available, i had a search around Microsofts Media Player site but couldn't find any update for WMP10 anywhere ??

It was released as a DRM update for WMP10 about a month ago i believe

chadashcroft22
03-11-05, 11:33 AM
I have an original production 6800U from BFG (BIOS 5.40.02.05.12) and don't see any temperature increase at all with 7x series drivers, including this release; however see a lot of complaints from folks with later-released GTs or updated Ultras so it's probably a product of the stutter-fix or another change that was made in those firmware revs. Has anyone that did an unauthorized firmware update on their card tried going back to original firmware to see if that fixed this "bug"?

It was released as a DRM update for WMP10 about a month ago i believe

We need a link (pretty please)