PDA

View Full Version : Installed the Schooner, tossed the NV Silencer v5.

Pixelsmack
03-11-05, 03:20 PM
Finally recieved my Schooner fanless cooler. I currently have a defective NV Silencer v5 in my system. The fan works, but is buzzy and noisy.

With the stock noisy cooler I was getting a temp of 57c at idle and 62c at load. Now I get 72c at idle, 84c at load (card is OC'd too). That is hot but still well below the max limitations. Besides, long before the silicon in this card wheres out, I'll have purchased another. :D

PROS:

0db noise level as there is no fan.
Looks cool, copper every where!

CONS:

Install is time consuming, even more so if your stock cooler is still in place. With 6800 cards you may have to drill out the stock mounting holes a little larger. A scary concept pulling out your 24v drill to pummel your $350+ investment. They really need to address this. :thumbdwn: I was desperate though, so I did it.
GPU will run hotter.

External view of heat pipe and vent

http://www.pixelsmack.com/incoming/1.jpg

Internal shot of install.

http://www.pixelsmack.com/incoming/2.jpg

jAkUp
03-11-05, 03:30 PM
You have to drill the PCB??!!! OMG scary stuff

superklye
03-11-05, 03:34 PM
That thing is enormous

fastguy94416
03-11-05, 04:36 PM
You have a lot of copper in there.

JoKeRr
03-12-05, 11:38 AM
the look of that cpu cooler could rip your board any day (I feel)

Rytr
03-12-05, 12:30 PM
The idea of noise-less is interesting. I have experimented with the Zalman XP-90 some and found I can achieve 'you can't hear it running' with a quality low rpm 92mm fan. In my particular setup that gives me temps that I experienced with the stock cooler (58C-60C @ idle and 72-75C @ max). With a 4800 RPM fan I get 48C @ idle and 62-65C @ max, but you can hear the fan.
I would guess that even better results could be attained with the XP-120 which will accept a 120mm fan. I have a SilenX 120mm that you cannot hear until about a foot away and then no motor noise just air moving thru the fan blades.

bkswaney
03-12-05, 12:35 PM
This is why I'm going to try the Zalman.
Good cooling and not so big. ;)

TeaEtchSee
03-12-05, 04:55 PM
my leadtek has so much copper :)

but thats rig is nice idea, but id rather have DHES...

Pixelsmack
03-13-05, 02:30 AM
the look of that cpu cooler could rip your board any day (I feel)

That huge CPU cooler comes with a metal backing plate to support the cooler. This was it doesn't crack your motherboard with it's massive weight.

I think my system must have 2000 pennies in it now....if pennies were still made of copper. :cool: